Please help w/Receiver recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please help w/Receiver recommendations

DanGinCT
04-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Hi All,
I'm looking to replace my Onkyo TX DS-595 w/a receiver with similar features and power. The Onkyo broke after only 2+ years so I'm not sure I want to go w/another Onkyo. I'm looking to spend $350ish. I'll use it to listen mostly to rock and jazz music as well as for movies, but music is most important. I have 4 Paradigm Atoms, a Paradigm CC-170 and HSU STF 3 sub. So far I've checked out specs for the Denon AVR-1804, Denon AVR-905 and Onkyo TX-SR601 (maybe!) Any other recommendations in that price range? Thanks!

Rock789
04-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Denon AVR 1905 ~$400
Marantz SR4500 ~$400

probably find a Yamaha or HK for less, I stay away from Yamaha, but a lot of people on this site love them (as does one of my friends)

Mr Peabody
04-01-2005, 09:21 PM
I think you will be disappointed with any other receiver after using the Onkyo. Nothing else in your price will give you that slam. It's a shame yours went bad. I have a little 48 watt 2 channel that has been running for years. But the remote buttons seems to be not working as well. My second choice would be Harmon Kardon and Marantz. Who knows with your sub you may not miss the slam.

nightflier
04-08-2005, 03:04 PM
If you really like the Onkyo, how about having it repaired? There are Onkyo authorized repair centers in al major metropolitan areas or you could ship it to a repair center. It might be something as simple as a fuse, which you might even be able to do yourself.

I had a purchased a second hand receiver that went bad, had it repaired, and the price was still far less than what I would have paid for a new one. As a bonus, they also cleaned out all the dust, detail cleaned all the dials, and thorougly tested it for me.

One thing people don't realize is that a receiver, particular a 2-year old model, has very few moving parts. It's not like a CD player or cassette deck, so it could last 20+ years with good care and an occasional visit to a good repair shop.