Just ordered Directv HD will this help w/... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered Directv HD will this help w/...

Rude-e
04-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Just ordered Directv HD will this help with making the picture cleaner (less pixalated) on the regular non-HD channels?

I was also told that it would not pick up local channel HD programs - and that I would need an additional antenna to pick these up. Is this true? They want $300.00 for the reciever and sat. and an additional $180 for the antenna, seems like alot of money - specially after dropping $3600 on a new 60" LCD Sony - I just want to use my new TV at it's full potential.

I'm tired of people coming over and wondering why the picture is so pixalated for such a new TV.

Thanks for any help..

edtyct
04-01-2005, 12:03 PM
It will be interesting to see other people's responses, but my experience has been that DirecTV's non-HD channels can look a lot better than cable's analog channels and many of its digital channels. None of DirectTV's programs, to my recollection, looked anywhere near as bad the worst of cable's offerings (how could it?). (I should mention that I tried an external video processor (iScan) between DirecTV and a plasma, but the degree of improvement was minimal.) The nice thing about digital signals, so long as you can get them, is that their reception doesn't involve the kind of escalating noise that analog ones do. You either get digital reception above a certain signal strength, via an antenna or a dish, or you don't. So that's an immediate benefit. PQ at a signal strength of 100 on the DirecTV dish will be no better than PQ at 70, but the higher number will be less subject to such external interference as rain fade (which will kill reception completely). Experiment with lining up your dish until you're sure that it's aimed as accurately as possible. Once you have a picture, DirectTV's main problem is bandwidth and the sporadic breakup that can result from compression, though the recent addition to its satellite fleet should help, and it's planning a whole new slew of HD programming.

DirecTV picks up a lot of local stations at this point, usually for a few bucks more a month. Call and see whether you're in a favored area. If you aren't, you'll need an antenna, but not necessarily an ugly one on your roof. OTA signal strength is much improved; sometimes an antenna located in an attic-- or even one of the new small-profile ones designed for a window sill or the top or your TV--will do the trick. Maybe you can forego the roof antenna until you know that you need it.

Ed

Rude-e
04-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Just called Directv they said that since I live in LA that the standard HD sat would also pick up local network programming in HD without a need for an additional antenna.
Great news...it just makes me mad how they tried to make it seem like I really needed to spend and additional $200 dollars for an antenna i don't really need.

I hope the rest of the signals look better than the regular Sat.

Woochifer
04-01-2005, 01:09 PM
I think that's just life with a HDTV. A HDTV will highlight the deficiencies in non-HD programming. Unless you're using one of Directv's bottom-of-the-line satellite receivers, the HD receiver probably won't improve the resolution for non-HD programming much. But, keep in mind that all of your HD and DVD programming will look quite nice. And most of the stations in L.A. (except for UPN13) currently broadcast in HD, and if you live in L.A. proper, you should be able to pick up the digital signals pretty well.

My understanding of the HD receivers is that you need to hook up an external antenna (anything that can pick up UHF signals) to watch the local HD broadcasts, since they use a separate tuner that requires a UHF signal. If the UHF signals are strong enough, you might be able to just use an indoor antenna. I don't know what Directv was telling you because the HD receivers have a separate antenna input for the over-the-air HD tuner. Maybe the satellite dish can pick up UHF signals, but I don't know about that since a few companies sell UHF antennas that fit over a satellite dish to pick up the digital signals. When you get your installation appointment, you might want to double check with the installer.

As it stands, Directv will not add local HD channels until their new satellites launch next year, and then they will proceed to greatly expand their offerings. Hope you don't blow a gasket, but I read that when Directv expands their HD offerings, it will use a different video compression format than what they currently use. Bottomline -- when the HD service expands, you'll need yet another satellite receiver. No word from Directv on how they'll handle trade-ins or upgrades for current HD customers.

hershon
04-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Why don't you just get Cable & HD in Cable as they give you a free receiver & an HD DVR only is $10 more a month? You can always get both too.

Just ordered Directv HD will this help with making the picture cleaner (less pixalated) on the regular non-HD channels?

I was also told that it would not pick up local channel HD programs - and that I would need an additional antenna to pick these up. Is this true? They want $300.00 for the reciever and sat. and an additional $180 for the antenna, seems like alot of money - specially after dropping $3600 on a new 60" LCD Sony - I just want to use my new TV at it's full potential.

I'm tired of people coming over and wondering why the picture is so pixalated for such a new TV.

Thanks for any help..

Rude-e
04-01-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm already tied into Directv for a year. Maybe aftera year I'll look into other options.
Anybody have Voom?

hershon
04-01-2005, 02:32 PM
A few years ago I wanted NFL ticket so I got Direct TV and paid for NFL ticket and the direct TV minimum while I still got the full cable TV package as well but of course I paid for both. Remember sometimes if you try to save money, it'll cost you more in the long run.

I'm already tied into Directv for a year. Maybe aftera year I'll look into other options.
Anybody have Voom?