March Music Madness: Pixies vs. Modest Mouse [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : March Music Madness: Pixies vs. Modest Mouse

newtrix1
04-01-2005, 03:30 AM
Well, I guess we have to make this one official :rolleyes:

Ex Lion Tamer
04-01-2005, 04:43 AM
Yes...I do feel like an idiot for voting for Modest Mouse, but I just never became a huge fan of The Pixies, mostly due, I'm assuming to under-exposure. I know they're legends and MM is really not in the same league, but the instruction is - pick your favorite, and since MM has become a post Y2K favorite for me...

Davey
04-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Well, most of you probably know by now that Modest Mouse is one of my favorite modern bands with a couple of my favorite albums in Lonesome Crowded West and Moon & Antarctica, but I think it's a mix of the Talking Heads and Pixies sound that takes them there for me. I can't see them ever meaning more to me than Talking Heads or the Pixies, even though there have been many times in the last decade that they have been more of a favorite listen. But the Pixies are the champs and I'm picking them to go all the way this year! Are you with me folks?

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/party.gif

Ex Lion Tamer
04-01-2005, 07:34 AM
But the Pixies are the champs and I'm picking them to go all the way this year! Are you with me folks?

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/party.gif

My sources tell me that Miles Davis is this year's champ. Buzzer beater over the Pixies to take the crown. Take the Pixies and the points!

Davey
04-01-2005, 07:55 AM
My sources tell me that Miles Davis is this year's champ.
I like my rock and roll played by rock and rollers. Where did Miles wander in from anyway? I think he's in the wrong poll so I'm just gonna ignore him. I voted against him in the last round so he should be gone anyway ;)

newtrix1
04-01-2005, 08:50 AM
I like my rock and roll played by rock and rollers. Where did Miles wander in from anyway? I think he's in the wrong poll so I'm just gonna ignore him. ;)

Hey, I've been tempted to match up Beethoven vs. Mozart (there's alway next year ;) )

I've also been enjoying the colorful metaphors that some people have come up with wrt to Miles Davis vs. ______:

This is like comparing
Apples and oranges
apples-to-raccoons
anvils to pillows
Micheal Jordan to Dan Marino

:D

mad rhetorik
04-02-2005, 07:39 AM
As much as I like Modest Mouse (I have <b>Lonesome Crowded West</b>, <b>The Moon & Antartica</b>, <b>Good News.. </b>), I have to say that this is another master v. apprentice match. And I think the likeness is more obvious than Pixies v. Nirvana.

At times Isaac Brock sounds like a near-dead ringer for Black Francis. Not at all a bad thing, though.

Must vote Pixies.. again. I suspect it'll be Miles v. Pixies this time 'round.. making a decision in that one will be like shooting one of my own children. ; P