Anyone Else Have Denon 3801 Receiver Dynamic Range Compression Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Have Denon 3801 Receiver Dynamic Range Compression Question

hershon
03-31-2005, 08:11 AM
First I had to laugh with someone elses thread as to what exactly minimum and maximum meant on some of these manuals- I originally thought the same thing- where do they hire some of these numbskulls who write these things, from the University of Cambodia?

Can someone who owns a Denon 3801 or Denon receiver please help me with the following. I can not find on the settings menu anything that actually lets you set the Dynamic Range Compression and just want to make sure mine is set at minimum. Where exactly is this on the menu? I finally got someone at customer service at Denon and he was both obnoxious and didn't even know the answer. Your help appreciated.

N. Abstentia
03-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Turn it OFF. Why would you want compression?

LEAFS264
03-31-2005, 09:57 AM
Hershon, are you sure you even have a setting to control it.Not all Receivers have a Dynamic Range Compression setting.If it is not in the manual, odds are you don't have it. I wouldn't worry about it unless there is somthing about the sound that bothers you.

Jay

noddin0ff
03-31-2005, 09:57 AM
Page 52 of the manual--"D.COMP (Dynamic Range Compression)"
Possible settings OFF, LOW, MID, HI

Download manual here.
http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=57

Looks like Denon's terms are somewhat opposite to Yamaha.

Denon 'HI' = MAXimum COMPRESSION = narrowest dynamic range
Yamaha 'MAX' = no compression = MAXimum dynamic range

Denon has a 'OFF' compression setting = Maximum dynamic range

hershon
03-31-2005, 12:03 PM
Turn it OFF. Why would you want compression?

I don't but in order to turn it off I need to see if it was turned on by either the previous owner or the default setting and I can't do that if i don't know where it is!

hershon
03-31-2005, 12:06 PM
Nobody seems to have a clue, including Denon, where this setting is in the first place so I can't change or turn off what I can't find! I have the manual. As I said I think it was written by a graduate of the University of Cambodia who got his job by Nepotism or because he serves the best cats and dogs for dinner!

Page 52 of the manual--"D.COMP (Dynamic Range Compression)"
Possible settings OFF, LOW, MID, HI

Download manual here.
http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=57

Looks like Denon's terms are somewhat opposite to Yamaha.

Denon 'HI' = MAXimum COMPRESSION = narrowest dynamic range
Yamaha 'MAX' = no compression = MAXimum dynamic range

Denon has a 'OFF' compression setting = Maximum dynamic range

Eric Z
03-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Hershon-

Why are you so angry?!

Take a look at number 4 on page 52 of the manual (or look through the download that NoddingOff was so kind to provide). It looks like you need to display the sound parameter menu from the remote or unit itself- then see what it's set to and make the appropriate adjustments.

N. Abstentia
03-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Yeah like Eric said it's right there in the manual. Go to the setup menu and turn it OFF.

Slosh
03-31-2005, 03:40 PM
With my Denon pre/pro it only works with Dolby Digital. If your receiver lets it work with all formats you just may have to put on a DD source to turn it off. A shot in the dark, anyway :confused:

hershon
03-31-2005, 03:53 PM
I see the thing about turning this setting off for 6 channel sound in the manual. No argument. What I don't see is what happens for 5 channel sound? Is it automatically off, is it set at a medium default, where is it? I gots to know. Even the Denon people can't tell me. I know that this is an advanced concept for the University of Cambodia graduates who wrote this manual, but if there is no Dynamic Range Compression setting and/or option for 5 channel sound, only 6 channel sound, would it be so hard to write that in the manual. As I said, the Denon Customer Service Department, all of one person, as this company wants me to believe, could not even answer that question about its own product.

Yeah like Eric said it's right there in the manual. Go to the setup menu and turn it OFF.

cam
03-31-2005, 06:22 PM
It doesn't matter if you have your system set up for 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 speaker configurations. Just put in a movie with DD, on your remote there should be a button that says surround parameter,press it, scroll down to the dynamic compression part and turn it off. Once it is off, it is off until you change that setting.

hershon
03-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks Cam, I'll try your advice. If it works, would that have been so hard for Denon to put in its manual or have the "1 Man" Denon Customer Service Department know! Has Homer Simpson's brain been transplanted by aliens into mankind?

It doesn't matter if you have your system set up for 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 speaker configurations. Just put in a movie with DD, on your remote there should be a button that says surround parameter,press it, scroll down to the dynamic compression part and turn it off. Once it is off, it is off until you change that setting.

Slosh
04-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Thanks Cam, I'll try your advice.

Didn't I just say the same f<a>ucking thing :confused:

shokhead
04-01-2005, 06:42 AM
LMFAO
Now your getting to know hershon. LOL
He'll get it.

hershon
04-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Didn't I just say the same f<a>ucking thing :confused:

Sorry about that! It was the Crack! Kudos to you

paul_pci
04-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Sorry about that! It was the Crack! Kudos to you

Stop blaming it on the crack!

shokhead
04-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Now i see your looking for his posts so now i'm thinking your being an "I'll take that back,thankyou"Put him on your non-post list and you wont have to deal.