Paradigm Version Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Version Question

Eric Z
03-30-2005, 11:51 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about Paradigm speakers and I want to learn more about them. There is one dealer in my immediate area that I will be visiting soon- before I go there I want some of my basic questions answered.

I went to Paradigm's website and learned a little about the Monitor 3 and 5 speakers. I also looked at the Atoms and Titans- also the matching center (CC170) and surrounds (ADP170).

When I look online through Ebay and Audiogon for some used speakers, I see v1 and v2, etc. I'm thinking those are the versions. If so, what is the latest version?

Also, any other input on these speakers from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Eric

N. Abstentia
03-30-2005, 12:03 PM
AFIK, v3 is as high as Paradigm has gone so far. Usually the tweeter is the area that gets the most improvement. Even then, it's not a HUGE difference between versions.

kexodusc
03-30-2005, 12:27 PM
AFIK, v3 is as high as Paradigm has gone so far. Usually the tweeter is the area that gets the most improvement. Even then, it's not a HUGE difference between versions.
The Monitors and I believe Performance line (Titans/Atoms) are up to v.4 now...if you can find them...
Sometimes the differences in versions are very small, in many cases not even the tweeter has changed, just a slightly refined, box style, or a slightly moved crossover point...Since Paradigm produces product "families" in a given production run sometimes you'll see 3 speakers stay the same, and 3 other speakers get radical overhauls.

On ebay, I would feel comfortable with v.2 or higher...the v.1's had an inferior tweeter IMO, though some prefer it. v.3 or v.4 aren't necessarily better...just a bit different.

For the Studio line, the v.3's were a step up over the v.2's in my opinion.

Paradigm's not the only company that does this. I guess there's just pressure to remain "current" and to fine-tune your products these days...how effective this really is can be argued though.

richmon
03-30-2005, 12:53 PM
I have a pair of the Studio 60's purchased in 1999 for $1100. They subsequently offered the Studio 60's V2 and V3. From what I've read, the drivers and tweeters haven't changed, just the crossovers and cabinet designs have been upgraded. I'm extremely happy with these, everytime I upgrade something in the system they respond and sound better. Just last night I purchased a used Conrad Johnson amp ($2500, got it used for $750) - the Pdimes responded and the sound quality went up several more notches.
The Studio 40's have the same midrange and tweeter, just one of the bass drivers is omitted, for small rooms and/or if you can do without the extra bass, these will give the same mids and highs as the 60's.
The Studio 100's add another driver or 2 and are meant for bigger rooms, louder volumes than my apartment neighbors would tolerate, I do pine for those pup's tho.
All the Paradigm's Studio speakers are very high bang for the buck - Stereophile, Soundstage and many others write glowing reviews about the high quality for low bucks.
Their are some negative personal reviews out their, personally I think it's a bit of jealousy and/or poor quality electronics/cables. I've gone through upgrade of two CD players, two preamps and two amps - each time the 'dimes reflected the upstream improvement. There not the weak link in the chain.
As a measuring stick, with all the reams of speakers Paradigm sells, I've never seen a pair of 60's on ebay, and only about 20 of the Studio 100's come up for sale in a given year. A measure of how happy current owners are, seems to me.

thepogue
03-30-2005, 01:56 PM
Just one point, the 40's and 60's are identical save one is a stand mount...the 60's go a bit deeper (as they should) but both do a great job (assuming you like the PDime sound...I sure do). I think the biggest difference in the v.1 and v.2 is the internal bracing..the .3 used a different tweeter...I've heard them but not side by side w/ the v.2's so I'm not 100 how they compare..but as you stated they are a great bang for buck speaker (if your inclined to like a forward sounding speaker) I know I enjoy them very much...and for the 2K I spent...I've yet to hear anything that much better...I've heard many different sounding speakers...many better (some much) but most we're AT LEAST double in price...some day I will own some "Stats"...I've only heard the ML'''and I really fell in love...but I'm not going to pick-up any until I've given a good set of maggies a good listen....

Peace and Paradigms, Pogue

I have a pair of the Studio 60's purchased in 1999 for $1100. They subsequently offered the Studio 60's V2 and V3. From what I've read, the drivers and tweeters haven't changed, just the crossovers and cabinet designs have been upgraded. I'm extremely happy with these, everytime I upgrade something in the system they respond and sound better. Just last night I purchased a used Conrad Johnson amp ($2500, got it used for $750) - the Pdimes responded and the sound quality (#) went up several more notches.
The Studio 40's have the same midrange and tweeter, just one of the bass drivers is omitted, for small rooms and/or if you can do without the extra bass, these will give the same mids and highs as the 60's.
The Studio 100's add another driver or 2 and are meant for bigger rooms, louder volumes than my apartment neighbors would tolerate, I do pine for those pup's tho.
All the Paradigm's Studio speakers (#) are very high bang for the buck - Stereophile, Soundstage and many others write glowing reviews about the high quality for low bucks.
Their are some negative personal reviews out their, personally I think it's a bit of jealousy and/or poor quality electronics/cables. I've gone through upgrade of two CD players, two preamps and two amps - each time the 'dimes reflected the upstream improvement. There not the weak link in the chain.
As a measuring stick, with all the reams of speakers Paradigm sells, I've never seen a pair of 60's on ebay, and only about 20 of the Studio 100's come up for sale in a given year. A measure of how happy current owners are, seems to me.

Woochifer
03-30-2005, 02:45 PM
If you're interested in the Monitor series, I'm not sure if the v.4 series has arrived at dealers in the U.S. yet. Of course this also means that whatever v.3 models remain in dealer inventory, you can probably negotiate a nice deal on right now with the v.4 either due to arrive soon or just arrived. When Paradigm transitioned over from the Studio v.2 to the v.3 series two summers ago, the sale prices were nice while they lasted.

In general, here's the timeframe on the various Paradigm speaker families ...

Performance series - updated in 2004
Cinema series - updated in 2005
Monitor series - updated/due to be updated in 2005
Studio series - updated summer 2003, probably not due for another update for at least two years
Signature series - introduced fall 2003

Paradigm also recently updated their PW and Servo series subwoofers. The lower entry level subwoofers have not been updated in a while, so they are the most logical models to get replaced next.

Lafferman
03-30-2005, 07:02 PM
all the dealers in Nebraska now have version 4 and are having big discounts on version 3 montor 11 are 400 usd off and so forth down the line. if you want version 3 get them fast. i picked up the monitor 7 and love them got them 200 off got last box set in my town.

Eric Z
03-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the information, everyone!

I tried going to my local Paradigm dealer after work today and it looked like they are no longer in business- the sign was still lit on the outside, but it looked like a tornado hit the inside (from what I can see from my car). I'll have to check into some other dealers in my area- I'm thinking it shouldn't be too difficult to find since I'm in the Chicago suburbs- I'll check online again.

Does anyone know what some good prices are for the Titans or some of the Monitors? I'm not even sure if those are good quality speakers. Since I've never seen these in person, I really don't know where to start. I was thinking about spending about $600 total for 2 fronts (I can go as high as $1K if I feel it's worth it). Just want to be sure I am as educated as possible when eventually entering a store that carries these.

Thanks again.

Wireworm5
03-30-2005, 11:35 PM
I had the oppurtunity to hear a pair of Titans a while back hooked to a Kenwood receiver. They sounded okay at first but over the coarse of the 3 to 4 hours I was there I experienced listening fatigue. This could have been the fault of the receiver however.
If your going to buy a center I strongly recommend the 370 even if you have to hold off till later, it'll be worth the wait. Monitor 7 should be close to your expected budget, these are very good forward sounding speaker. The Monitor 9 have harder hitting bass than the 7 but more laid back in sound than the 7's. At moderate volumes it is difficult for me to tell any difference between the 7's and 9' s both v2 which I own.

Eric Z
03-31-2005, 04:20 AM
Thanks, Wireworm! What do you mean by a forward sounding speaker? I heard I should get the 370 CC, too! Do you know what that runs price wise?

Thanks again.
Eric

IRG
03-31-2005, 06:40 AM
If you're interested in the Monitor series, I'm not sure if the v.4 series has arrived at dealers in the U.S. yet. Of course this also means that whatever v.3 models remain in dealer inventory, you can probably negotiate a nice deal on right now with the v.4 either due to arrive soon or just arrived. When Paradigm transitioned over from the Studio v.2 to the v.3 series two summers ago, the sale prices were nice while they lasted.

In general, here's the timeframe on the various Paradigm speaker families ...

Performance series - updated in 2004
Cinema series - updated in 2005
Monitor series - updated/due to be updated in 2005
Studio series - updated summer 2003, probably not due for another update for at least two years
Signature series - introduced fall 2003

Paradigm also recently updated their PW and Servo series subwoofers. The lower entry level subwoofers have not been updated in a while, so they are the most logical models to get replaced next.

Woochifer,
SInce you've been so helpful with the sub question, here is a Paradigm question. I do have a dealer in my town (just visited briefly the other day) who sells Paradigm. An odd store really, as car audio is their thing, and the guy working there didn't have much knowledge about home audio, other than the new Reference 20 v3 was "awesome". I'm sure it was, although I would rather not pay $800 at this point. I also don't like that rubber top at all. Seems cheesy.

Anyway, since the Monitor series is undergoing a remake, I might look to see if I can get a good deal on the v3 series, unless the 4 series is really worth it, and I suspect it won't be a big difference. Which Monitor model seems to be the better speaker, the Mini, Monitor 3, 5, or 7? Remember, I will be using a sub with these (although I should mention that Adire is out of the Rava for weeks - got an email this morning). I like the looks of the 5 - i could use shorter stands with these, and the 7s, I wouldn't even need stands which could be a good idea with small kids in the house. All of these seem to get real good reviews on this site, although usually by people who think they sound a lot better than the Cerwin Vegas they were going to buy, so I take these reviews with a grain of salt. Any insight would be appreciated (by anyone else too)! Thanks.

Wireworm5
03-31-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks, Wireworm! What do you mean by a forward sounding speaker? I heard I should get the 370 CC, too! Do you know what that runs price wise?

Thanks again.
Eric
By forward I mean if you have the two speakers side by side played at the same volume and the volume is up where you can discern the difference in the speakers. You will hear the 7 over the 9s. The 7s are aggresive whereas the 9s will sound soft and smooth. These are just suggestions on what to listen for when comparing models. Which speaker you prefer if any is up to you.
I paid $450 cdn for the cc370 v3.