How limited are my options? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How limited are my options?

ironbird01
12-26-2003, 08:10 PM
Of course since it's the holidays things are breaking left and right. I have $300 left to TRY and get a new receiver. My SONY STR-DE915 has lost the front L/R channels only the center and surrounds work. I am looking for something similar with 5.1. And for my second question, does anyone know of what to do with the broken receiver? Sell it for parts somewhere? Throw it away? any help will be appreciated Thanks =D

Norm Strong
12-26-2003, 08:54 PM
By now, everybody knows my answer: Panasonic HE100. About $230

RGA
12-27-2003, 12:30 AM
I don't know what the conversion rate is right now. But Future Shop is selling the Yamaha HTR5660B for $499.00Cdn during the boxing week. The 5640 is $399Cdn.

Best Buy owns Future Shop in Canada so presumably they would be selling cheap in the states.

Trouble is that buying from Future Shop anada online their price is $50.00 higher. If you're near our border then come over and get a deal. the HTR 5660 is usually $750.00 and has several features I personally require.

I have decided to stay two channel for now.

spacedeckman
12-27-2003, 06:50 AM
If you have an Ultimate Electronics nearby, they had some last years '30 series in stock for cheap, there are a few other places around with them too, but they are a bit of a hard find. Otherwise, you should be able to find the 440/5640 regularly for $300, but do what you can to go up a notch in the food chain to the 540/5650 more stuff with S-Video upconversion and S-video switching the 440/5640 lacks. That should be under $400.

The Sony is dumpster fodder. Once you step up, it won't matter anyway.

The Panasonic that Norm is recommending is a piece of crap. I cannot recommend it on any front. "Run away, run away" (Monty Python and the Holy Grail) Norm seems to go with whatever Consumer Reports picks, and I find their system of selecting audio products to be so flawed that if a good one makes it in, it is a complete accident. So rather than them, I would listen to Woodman and Woochifer who would fall on my side of the line. Woodman fixes the dang stuff (I've been inside an older Technics, the internals were a joke, but it was designed to give the illusion of more for the money, Panasonic was wise to pursue this market from a business perspective), and Woochifer is "in tune with the universe"...well okay, he has a clue and pays attention to the important things. Well, then there is me too, but I thought that was a bit obvious. RGA is usually no dummy either. That makes 4 votes. If you heard the comments of my friend who works for Panasonic made to me last month, that would make it 5. Although Panasonic's video scores a solid "two thumbs up" in my book, and remains highly recommeded by me.

dvjorge
12-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Hello,

Try looking this one

Woochifer
12-27-2003, 03:21 PM
You got one of Sony's many problematic DE series receivers. Some of their receivers are fine, but quite a few others have very high failure rates and yours is one of them. As others have recommended, the Yamaha RXV-440 is actually a formidable step up from what you've been using. You can now decode 6.1 and DTS soundtracks, switch component video inputs, use DPLII decoding, etc. The only thing that it really lacks is S-video switching, and preouts. If you want those, then you'll need to step up to the RX-V640 or look for a closeout 630 or 730.

The main reason for going with Yamaha is their consistent reliability. Some Sony models might be just as reliable, but Yamaha has not made any receiver lines with the kind of inconsistent reliability you see in Sony's DE series.

poneal
12-27-2003, 10:30 PM
If you want a plain 5.1 receiver for $450 (can find for less) then try this link:

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_detail.asp?cat=REC&prod=AVR%20130&sType=C

If you want to step up check out the 230, 330, 430, or 630. Each offers a little more features than the lower one. Yamaha also makes some mid range receivers.

recoveryone
12-28-2003, 08:48 AM
IMHO, the mid range Pioneer line could be a good choice also (710,810 and the new 9 something). If you don't mind hunting around you can get an older Elite line model (26TX,27 or 29) get lucky and find a 36TX,37 or 39.

hmmmm
12-28-2003, 08:53 AM
I would have to agree with the Panasonic. I have the HE200 (I think) which is basically the same thing but 130 watts per channel. You can find it on the web for a great price. You won' t be disappointed.

ironbird01
12-30-2003, 04:53 AM
Maybe all my equipment is old and outdated? Now my SONY DVP S300
will not play all the DVDs from the ALIEN QUADRILOGY!! Hahaha (it's enough to drive a bloke MAD!!) some of the supplimental discs play but for the movies I get "NO DISC" displayed!! Hahaha ....I just can't win.

F1
12-30-2003, 08:00 AM
Maybe all my equipment is old and outdated? Now my SONY DVP S300
will not play all the DVDs from the ALIEN QUADRILOGY!! Hahaha (it's enough to drive a bloke MAD!!) some of the supplimental discs play but for the movies I get "NO DISC" displayed!! Hahaha ....I just can't win.

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose... Get yourself a $200 JVC receiver (plenty of features for money & doesn't sound terrible either imo) and $100 DVD that keep you happy for a while. Best of luck to you!