Imax NASCAR [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Imax NASCAR

toenail
03-30-2005, 04:49 AM
If anybody is looking for a demo disc to impress friends and family take a stroll over to Walmart and pick up a copy of Imax NASCAR for $13. Seeing it in the Imax theater was enough to raise the hair on the back of my neck repeatedly. The home theater experience actually comes prety close. There is no 3-D effect so the awe inspiring visualization realized at a full scale Imax theater isn't quite there, but the image quality is second to none, at least on my 32" toshi direct view CRT with it's measly 480i. I can't imagine what this looks like on a HD set. The sound is even more killer though. The audio engineers must have had a field day creating the effects for this movie. Dynamic range is bordering on rediculous. If you set the volume so that the narration is medium to loud, the surround effects will literally hit you like a freight train. I havn't yet measured the db difference between narration and effects but will post findings when I do. You don't have to be a redneck (meant affectionately) or a race fan to enjoy this either. It can be used as nothing more than a novelty to give you a rush or impress your buddies.

toenail
03-31-2005, 02:44 PM
If anybody is looking for a demo disc to impress friends and family take a stroll over to Walmart and pick up a copy of Imax NASCAR for $13. Seeing it in the Imax theater was enough to raise the hair on the back of my neck repeatedly. The home theater experience actually comes prety close. There is no 3-D effect so the awe inspiring visualization realized at a full scale Imax theater isn't quite there, but the image quality is second to none, at least on my 32" toshi direct view CRT with it's measly 480i. I can't imagine what this looks like on a HD set. The sound is even more killer though. The audio engineers must have had a field day creating the effects for this movie. Dynamic range is bordering on rediculous. If you set the volume so that the narration is medium to loud, the surround effects will literally hit you like a freight train. I havn't yet measured the db difference between narration and effects but will post findings when I do. You don't have to be a redneck (meant affectionately) or a race fan to enjoy this either. It can be used as nothing more than a novelty to give you a rush or impress your buddies.

I should add that this is a Full Screen DVD (at least the one I bought).

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-31-2005, 02:56 PM
I should add that this is a Full Screen DVD (at least the one I bought).

This is not a bad thing since most of IMAX movies native aspect ration is closer to 4:3 than any other aspect ratio. I believe all of my IMAX movies are 4:3