Mozilla Firefox character encoding and AR [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firefox character encoding and AR

Davey
03-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Do any of you Firefox users have trouble keeping ISO 8859-1 character encoding set? My browser keeps setting to Unicode when I refresh and I lose lots of the encoding and wind up with question marks (?) instead of the characters. Like the stuff below. Do they show up for you OK even after refreshing? I know the source code shows charset=ISO-8859-1 in the begining but I still have problems at this site and have ever since switching to Mozilla. Everything looks fine in preview and then after I post it changes char set and goes awry :(

¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ¦ § ¨ © ª « ¬ * ® ¯
° ± ² ³ ´ µ ¶ · ¸ ¹ º » ¼ ½ ¾ ¿
À Á Â Ã Ä Å Æ Ç È É Ê Ë Ì Í Î Ï
Ð Ñ Ò Ó Ô Õ Ö × Ø Ù Ú Û Ü Ý Þ ß
à á â ã ä å æ ç è é ê ë ì í î ï
ð ñ ò ó ô õ ö ÷ ø ù ú û ü ý þ ÿ

Hyfi
03-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Do any of you Firefox users have trouble keeping ISO 8859-1 character encoding set? My browser keeps setting to Unicode when I refresh and I lose lots of the encoding and wind up with question marks (?) instead of the characters. Like the stuff below. Do they show up for you OK even after refreshing? I know the source code shows charset=ISO-8859-1 in the begining but I still have problems at this site and have ever since switching to Mozilla. Everything looks fine in preview and then after I post it changes char set and goes awry :(

� � � � � � � � � � � � * � �
� � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �

I don't have a clue why you need to use this character set to post here. By the way, when I reply, in the quotes from your post, the characters are just fine. In the original post they are black diamonds with the question marks. When I preview, they go back to diamonds.

I have been using Firefox since about a week after J briefed us here sometime last year. I click on posts and reply. I have all bells and whistles turned off....to help with my sucky dialup connection. I use whatever the default font is.

I wish a little font problem was my only B!tcH

By the way, give Opera a try. It's another Linux browser. I just loaded the latest version for windows. Works just as well as Firefox and has similar features and a little more. It has a small add banner that you can limit to text only. If you pay, you get rid of all adds.
Brian

Davey
03-29-2005, 06:36 PM
I don't have a clue why you need to use this character set to post here.
Well, you need to use some char set and that should be the default to support the US and western European languages. But something is causing it to switch to unicode which still isn't very well supported. Anyway, I don't know. Maybe one of the manager types will add something to the conversation about why this site seems to have problems with Firefox.

I have dialup at home and it works good if I turn off the ads. Usually connect at a little over 50K and it seems to be pretty much the same speed as my high speed connection at work with IE and the ads turned on. I think this site is kind of slow for most people regardless of the connection type. But it slows to a crawl sometimes for me with dialup if I leave the ads turned on, so I always have them turned off (with apologies to the site owners, but that's the only way I can use this place at home).

Dusty Chalk
03-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Looks like a bunch of boxes and an asterisk to me. (In Opera.)

The more metal version:
Düsty Chälk

Davey
03-30-2005, 07:10 AM
Looks like a bunch of boxes and an asterisk to me. (In Opera.)

The more metal version:
Düsty Chälk
Does it look OK if you view it on the page I copied it from at http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars.html#latin1? OK meaning with an upside down ! and a British pound sign in the first row. Looks good all the time if you use IE.

Dusty Chalk
03-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Okay, now it looks right...and my "Dusty Chalk", which was initially with umlauts now looks effed up.

It seems quite variable.

EDIT: Okay, now that I've posted, it's back to boxes, but my Dusty Chalk is back to umlauted...I have no idea what's going on, but if I figure it out, I'll let you know...