March Music Madness: Miles Davis vs. Lou Reed [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : March Music Madness: Miles Davis vs. Lou Reed

newtrix1
03-28-2005, 03:50 PM
I know some of you hate these odd match-ups, but hey...shouldn't be too hard if you just go with your favorite :)

mad rhetorik
03-28-2005, 06:34 PM
A <b>tie?!?</b> Are you people insane?

Miles all the way.

kexodusc
03-29-2005, 06:47 AM
This is like comparing Micheal Jordan to Dan Marino...one was very good at what he did...the other is a standard to which all others will be compared...

Miles Davis by a 3-pointer at the buzzer...nah, it ain't even close.

MindGoneHaywire
03-29-2005, 08:40 AM
My reasoning in voting for Lou was difficult to arrive at, but finally I was left with this: although I have probably twice as many Miles CDs as Reed discs, if I had neither, there's a lot of music that's closer to what Miles did that could serve as a substitute, than there is stuff that's in the same realm with Reed's stuff...particularly the Velvet Underground. There's just no substitute for that, nothing that even comes close. Take away my Miles records, I still have Coltrane, Parker, Monk, Sonny Rollins, Chet Baker, Clifford Brown, Herbie Hancock, Dexter Gordon, Freddie Hubbard, Horace Silver, and many others, all of whom made music that's sort of, at least, in the same ballpark, listening-wise, so long as I don't try to deconstruct it & listen for modes ala KOB. Of course, none of these people ever put out a work quite like KOB, or the Gil Evans collaborations for that matter, but considering what could fill in those gaps from artists such as the ones I've mentioned, it's not like there's a whole world of music that'd suddenly be missing. This is the case, though, with Reed. There's just nothing like those VU records, nothing remotely close. So, as much as it pains me, my vote's to Lou.

Davey
03-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Yeah, Lou Reed for all the reasons that I already talked about in the previous round. Love Miles, but it isn't really that close for me.

Dusty Chalk
03-29-2005, 10:49 PM
My reasoning in voting for Lou was difficult to arrive at, but finally I was left with this: although I have probably twice as many Miles CDs as Reed discs, if I had neither, there's a lot of music that's closer to what Miles did that could serve as a substitute, than there is stuff that's in the same realm with Reed's stuff...particularly the Velvet Underground. There's just no substitute for that, nothing that even comes close. Take away my Miles records, I still have Coltrane, Parker, Monk, Sonny Rollins, Chet Baker, Clifford Brown, Herbie Hancock, Dexter Gordon, Freddie Hubbard, Horace Silver, and many others, all of whom made music that's sort of, at least, in the same ballpark, listening-wise, so long as I don't try to deconstruct it & listen for modes ala KOB. Of course, none of these people ever put out a work quite like KOB, or the Gil Evans collaborations for that matter, but considering what could fill in those gaps from artists such as the ones I've mentioned, it's not like there's a whole world of music that'd suddenly be missing. Translation: all jazz sounds the same to me.

I am voting for Miles.