$5000 for new equipment..... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : $5000 for new equipment.....

JMZMTA
03-28-2005, 02:59 PM
I would like to purchase a Home Theater System and I don't know what to buy. I hear that separate components are a better choice than a AV receiver. I have a budget of about five thousand dollars. I like receivers from Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer in this exact order and speakers from Paradigm or from any another reputable manufacture.

I would love to buy a 5.1 or 7.1 amp and a good sound processor for a cleaner sound. Which brand should I be looking at? I need a HT that can last me for the next ten years.

Can someone in here put together a system for me. I'll be using my HT for 50% music and 50% video. I will appreciate any recommendation you can offer.

Thank you very much for your input.
P.S. I already have a sub. (M&K V-125)

Jmzmta

drseid
03-28-2005, 04:25 PM
I would like to purchase a Home Theater System and I don't know what to buy. I hear that separate components are a better choice than a AV receiver. I have a budget of about five thousand dollars. I like receivers from Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer in this exact order and speakers from Paradigm or from any another reputable manufacture.

I would love to buy a 5.1 or 7.1 amp and a good sound processor for a cleaner sound. Which brand should I be looking at? I need a HT that can last me for the next ten years.

Can someone in here put together a system for me. I'll be using my HT for 50% music and 50% video. I will appreciate any recommendation you can offer.

Thank you very much for your input.
P.S. I already have a sub. (M&K V-125)

Jmzmta
Hmm... $5000 total, eh? Let's see...

B&K 50 Pre/Pro $1500
Rotel 5 Channel Power Amp approx. $1200
4 Tyler Acoustics Freedom F-1 Monitors $1050
1 Tyler Freedom Center Channel $300
2 Pairs of Tyler Model 1 Stands $400

With the remainder, you could sell your current sub and buy an ACI Force to better complement the Tylers... The Force sells for $750.

Note: Both Tyler Acoustics and ACI are online only...

Another option (where you use a receiver) is:

Denon 3805 $1200
Tyler Acoustics Reference Monitors (front L/R) $1600/pr.
Tyler Acoustics Freedom F-1 (rear L/R) $525/pr.
1 Tyler Acoustics Taylo Mag. Shielded Speaker Used as a Center $850
2 pairs Tyler Model 1 Stands $400

Good luck,

---Dave

bwithers
03-28-2005, 04:31 PM
I really like Paradigm speakers and would highly recommend them (although I think you can do better than Paradigm subs). I would listen to many speaker systems before buying. Here are the recommended configs from the Paradigm Reference line. You wouldn't need the subwoofer since you already have one:

http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteReferenceProduct/RModels/SystemChoice/systems.html

I'm in the camp that the speaker makes the biggest difference, so I would put $4K or so in the speakers and the rest in whatever receiver floats your boat. Most of the receivers retailing for $700 and up are pretty solid unless you are trying to power difficult to drive speakers.

Rock789
03-28-2005, 07:13 PM
I really like the Focal JMlab Chorus S line...
of that line, the 716 S sounded the best to me, even over the 726 S...

I would suggest:
4x Chorus 716 S = $1900 (fronts and backs)
1x Chorus CC 700 S = $400 (center)

that leaves $2700 (well less counting tax) for your receiver or preamp and amp...

I ended up going with the Denon AVR 2805, but my budget was about 2k less than you...
I looked for 3 months and came up with this system... so take your time, and make sure what you are going to get is what you really want...
I was looking at adcom and nad for preamps and amps before I realized I didn't want to spend that much money...lol
I don't remember prices, but I think an amp and preamp combo was running around $3000 from both NAD and ADCOM...

The Denon AVR 3805 is $1000
AVR 2895 is $750

I am not familar with the Yamaha reveivers..

Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX = $700
Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX = $850
Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXI = ~$1300

Perhaps check out the NAD Receivers too...
NAD T743 = $700
NAD T753 = $1000
NAD T763 = $1400
NAD T773 = $1800

I went with the Denon for the inputs. 5 optical in's and 2 gig. coax
if that is not an issue, all the receivers I listed above were very nice, and sounded great

I also looked at Integra which I was told was high end Onkyo, and also sounded very nice. But upon doing further research, I was told by a couple people they have powersupply problems...

I hope this helps, and goodluck with your search for your new system,
Mike