What did you watch this weekend? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What did you watch this weekend?

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Since it was raining cats, dogs, and cows this weekend, myself and mans best friend(my black lab Darnell) settled in to watch some movies I purchased, but had'nt watched yet. This was also an opportunity to break in phase I of my equipment upgrade.

The Incredibles-Just Incredible, that is all I can say. Great story line, great visuals, awesome sound. I wanted to watch it again and again. This DVD is officicially the first to overload my BFD, though it wasn't audible to me. This movie had alot of sub 20hz information(even in the main channels), and if your sub doesn't go that low this movie would appear to have pretty weak bass. Also this soundtrack had the tightest bass I have ever heard, I mean rubberband tight. Good use of the surrounds, no too much, not too little. This movie get's a A++++

The Love Bug-When I was a kid, this was my favorite movie. I have seen it at least 50 times in my life, but every time I watch it, it like being entertained by a old friend. For a movie that is almost 40 years old, the picture looked great. I saw no artificats, no edge enhancement, blocking anything of that nature, just a little grain here and there. On the box it is listed as DD 5.1, but I don't remember hearing any split surround information.

Alien vs Predator-I really like this movie. I cannot tell you why I did, but I did. Great, powerful soundtrack, very nice video with some grain apparent. The sound was awesome and frightening good. Great dynamic range, very smooth but extended frequency response, and pinpoint imaging(and I mean pinpoint!).

Connie and Carla-I have to admit, I have never laughed so hard in my damn life. I hated that this movie actually had a end. It was so entertaining and a joy to watch. The sound was serviceable and works with the movie, and the video was also pretty good. To tell you the truth, I was laughing so hard that I wasn't paying much attention to the technical aspects of this film. If you like really good comedy, this is a winner!

Anyone else catch some good flicks this weekend?

eisforelectronic
03-28-2005, 06:35 PM
[QUOTE=Sir Terrence the Terrible
The Love Bug-When I was a kid, this was my favorite movie. I have seen it at least 50 times in my life, but every time I watch it, it like being entertained by a old friend. For a movie that is almost 40 years old, the picture looked great. I saw no artificats, no edge enhancement, blocking anything of that nature, just a little grain here and there. On the box it is listed as DD 5.1, but I don't remember hearing any split surround information.
[/QUOTE]

Are you warming up for the Lindsey Lohan version?

I watched the menu for "Ladder 49" for a while, but never actually hit play. I'm watching "Master and Commander" now.

Kam
03-29-2005, 07:23 AM
the third wheel - caught this on cable, with luke wilson playing an office worker who finally asks fellow office mate denise richards out on a date that gets sidetracked when he hits a homeless dude. has a LOT of recognizable actors with either leads or cameos with matt damon, ben affleck, jeff garlin (in a non-speaking extra role) the dude from Office Space (show her my "oh" face), one of the MadTV girls. it's kid of an 'eh' movie, but somehow still enjoyable. i guess it was good enough as i did think several times i should see what else was on, but just never managed to change the channel. also really showcased the difference, imo, between ben and matt. matt has a tiny cameo and steals the scene, ben is in the movie for a good part and is just horrible.

kevin smith college speaking tour documentary - that wasnt the title, but i can't remember what it was called, and that's pretty much what it was. VERY enjoyable to hear most of the stories he was telling, especially his background on Superman, Prince Documentary, Planet of the Apes, and Good Will Hunting. He told a bunch of just personal gossip stories, which were entertaining, but his 'inside info' stories were the best. With the superman story being the tops and seeing his involvement and how it all went to hell. plus, if you like his movies, he talks about them and the characters alot as well.

jersey girl - didn't manage to finish it, saw all of it up until the ending, then had to jet. far different from the usual kevin smith fare. nothing great though, definitely not up to snuff with dogma, which is my favorite of his to date. unless the last 20 mins are so mind blowing i'll change my mind, but have to reserve total judgement till i see the ending, ya never know. just think if ya missed the last 10 minutes of 6th sense! but so far, just.... eh. was a lil dissapointed but then am not the biggest ben affleck fan either. Although, again, matt has a cameo with jason scott lee and they both steal the scene from ben, as does the cute lil girl in every one of her scenes with ben, as does george carlin in every one of his scenes with ben, as does the guy from office space ('my streamline stapler') in every one of his scenes with ben... etc. etc. etc.

peace
k2

JSE
03-29-2005, 07:34 AM
This last weekend I watched the Incredibles. Nothing new to say here that has not already been said, just simply awesome.

I also went to the Theater and saw Be Cool. No bad, but not very good either. Not nearly as good as Get Shorty. "The Rock" was pretty good and Uma actually looked pretty good in this movie. I am not an Uma fan, but she looked good this time.

Oh, watched Van Wilder again. Classic. Tonight, Harold and Kumar, again.

JSE

20to20K
03-29-2005, 07:47 AM
1) Flight of the Phoenix - predictable, formulatic and cliched...but still a soso popcorn movie. Never saw the original. (7/10)

2) Bourne Identity - Amazingly I never saw this before. I enjoyed it. Good action, decent acting, plot believable in a unbelievable kind of way. Wish the babe was hotter but what can you do? (8/10)

3) Bourne Supremacy - Haven't watched it yet...to busy watching "24" last night.

I hate the fact that 24 comes on at 9PM...right in the middle of primetime. If it came
on at either 8 or 10 you would still have time to watch a flick before it or after it. I like to be in bed NLT 11:30PM. Of course TiVo (or just a VCR) would solve all these problems, but I'm just not a record a TV show kind of guy...

topspeed
03-29-2005, 10:25 AM
I also went to the Theater and saw Be Cool. No bad, but not very good either. Not nearly as good as Get Shorty. "The Rock" was pretty good and Uma actually looked pretty good in this movie. I am not an Uma fan, but she looked good this time.
JSE
You're sooo right. Get Shorty was terrific and this movie was just OK. In my mind, Vince Vaugh saved it more than anyone else...although a strong case could be made for Uma. I'm also not a fan, but I gotta admit she looked mighty tasty.

kexodusc
03-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Lemme see...I watched The Incredibles...yes it's wicked, yes it's awesome etc etc.

Collateral (is that how it's spelled) - liked it even more the 2nd time..not sure why

AVP - This was just a fun movie to watch, nothing overly great about it...but definitely fun.

Saw - It was better the 1st time in theaters, but I have to admit, the EX/ES mix is very good on this movie, and there's not really that many scenes where you'd think it would be worthwhile...just added an extra dimension of spaciousness...

The Girl Next Door (I think that's the title) - some good t n' a, a few laughs, but nothing special...watched that while the lady was out shopping.

eisforelectronic
03-30-2005, 02:44 AM
kevin smith college speaking tour documentary - that wasnt the title, but i can't remember what it was called, and that's pretty much what it was. VERY enjoyable to hear most of the stories he was telling, especially his background on Superman, Prince Documentary, Planet of the Apes, and Good Will Hunting. He told a bunch of just personal gossip stories, which were entertaining, but his 'inside info' stories were the best. With the superman story being the tops and seeing his involvement and how it all went to hell. plus, if you like his movies, he talks about them and the characters alot as well.

How'd you like his sexual injury/ first time with his wife story?

Kam
03-30-2005, 06:47 AM
hysterical. can really see why he makes movies, and especially why he makes the movies he does. there are just some people that are good at telling stories. loved how everyone in the audience winced simultaneously as he described what was going on - just sounded so ridiculously painful. great line in there too - 'i always thought what idiot would have sex with an open wound and here i was going to have sex with an open wound.' i guess there wasn't any oral that night.

loved his Wild Wild West dig with the spider story from superman too and the Prince basketball outfit stuff... too funny!
:)

dean_martin
03-30-2005, 12:36 PM
You're sooo right. Get Shorty was terrific and this movie was just OK. In my mind, Vince Vaugh saved it more than anyone else...although a strong case could be made for Uma. I'm also not a fan, but I gotta admit she looked mighty tasty.

I remember seeing Get Shorty after reading the book by Elmore Leonard. I thought the movie would be grittier - a little more down and dirty. I guess Leonard's minimalist writing style leaves room for a variety of interpretations. Although the story was the same, what I saw on the screen didn't quite match what I saw in my head while reading the book.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed Get Shorty, but I've been wondering why they needed to "continue" this story? I lost interest in Leonard or moved on to something else. Is Be Cool based on a Leonard follow-up novel?

dean_martin
03-30-2005, 12:43 PM
2) Bourne Identity - Amazingly I never saw this before. I enjoyed it. Good action, decent acting, plot believable in a unbelievable kind of way. Wish the babe was hotter but what can you do? (8/10)

3) Bourne Supremacy - Haven't watched it yet...to busy watching "24" last night.

I was late on the Bourne Identity too. Just saw it a few months ago. I thought it was a good flick. Nice and tight with twists. It avoided being convoluted and over-the-top. And, most of all, Damon didn't get on my nerves or bore me to tears like he usually does. The Supremacy is on my "to see" list. There was an interesting thread on these two movies here at the board not too terribly long ago.

topspeed
03-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Nevertheless, I enjoyed Get Shorty, but I've been wondering why they needed to "continue" this story? I lost interest in Leonard or moved on to something else. Is Be Cool based on a Leonard follow-up novel?
No idea. If it is, be forewarned: If you thought Get Shorty was lacking compared to the book, this movie is akin to the Cliff's Notes version. If you catch it on HBO that's fine, but I wouldn't go out and spend any money on it.

20to20K
03-31-2005, 04:59 AM
I was late on the Bourne Identity too. Just saw it a few months ago. I thought it was a good flick. Nice and tight with twists. It avoided being convoluted and over-the-top. And, most of all, Damon didn't get on my nerves or bore me to tears like he usually does. The Supremacy is on my "to see" list. There was an interesting thread on these two movies here at the board not too terribly long ago.

I thought it was freakin' AWESOME. Better than the first one and waaaay better than I was expecting. The action and tension never stops, the various site locations are amazing.
The movie takes place in about 6 or 7 countries all within a couple of days. It also has some of the most stunning car chase scenes ever put to film by someone other than William Friedkin. I plan on buying it and adding to my collection. (9/10)

Part of me wants them to make another Bourne film because this one was so good.
The other part wants me to have them leave well enough alone and not it screw up!

kexodusc
03-31-2005, 05:20 AM
I thought it was freakin' AWESOME. Better than the first one and waaaay better than I was expecting. The action and tension never stops, the various site locations are amazing.
The movie takes place in about 6 or 7 countries all within a couple of days. It also has some of the most stunning car chase scenes ever put to film by someone other than William Friedkin. I plan on buying it and adding to my collection. (9/10)

Part of me wants them to make another Bourne film because this one was so good.
The other part wants me to have them leave well enough alone and not it screw up!
I totally agree...not sure why so many people thought it was only "ok"...
Don't worry they will make the final Bourne film (there were 3 novels), "The Bourne Ultimatum" is already in the works, though i'm not sure if Matt Damon will return or not...in the novels, Bourne is considerably older for the finale...in his 40's if I recall...I suppose, he could pull it off...
IMO "The Bourne Ultimatum" was the best book of the 3, hopefully the movie captures that...

20to20K
03-31-2005, 05:47 AM
I totally agree...not sure why so many people thought it was only "ok"...
Don't worry they will make the final Bourne film (there were 3 novels), "The Bourne Ultimatum" is already in the works, though i'm not sure if Matt Damon will return or not...in the novels, Bourne is considerably older for the finale...in his 40's if I recall...I suppose, he could pull it off...
IMO "The Bourne Ultimatum" was the best book of the 3, hopefully the movie captures that...

I saw during the credits that these films were based on Ludlam novels. I had not read the books and that is probably explaining why I'm enjoying the films so much and hard core fans of the novels aren't. It's often difficult to capture everything that a novel presents because of limitations of time, budget, and execution. Also when you read a novel it will be totally subjective to the reader how the characters and surroundings are interpreted in your head. In a film they pretty much give you no choice. It's the vision of the filmmakers.
If you don't agree with the filmmakers vision you will see this as a flaw.

I've often had these complaints myself about novels I've read that were subsequently made into films. I'm realistic to know that an exact interpretation is not possible to an entire audience of millions...but it still can tick you off a little. I try to view any interpretation of art or entertainment on it's own merit...but we're only human!

I look forward to the third film...I don't think it will be a problem making Damon appear in his fourties. Plus it will allow for convincing flashbacks of his past if needed to tie together loose ends.

Defshep
04-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Damon's age won't be a problem. Look what they did to Jack Ryan in Sum of all Fears!