Jack Johnson? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jack Johnson?

Shwamdoo
03-26-2005, 09:18 PM
I was in Punta Mita, Mexico this week so I decided to bust out the "tropical" discs. I ended up listening to alot of Jack Johnson that I hadn't heard since I picked up the audio hobby. I was impressed with the song writting, musical style, and recording quality of his music. So, I have a new-found respect for Jack Johnson and, I would recomend picking up any of his three albums.

Any Jack fans, thoughts, etc.?

ForeverAutumn
03-27-2005, 07:48 AM
I was in Punta Mita, Mexico this week so I decided to bust out the "tropical" discs. I ended up listening to alot of Jack Johnson that I hadn't heard since I picked up the audio hobby. I was impressed with the song writting, musical style, and recording quality of his music. So, I have a new-found respect for Jack Johnson and, I would recomend picking up any of his three albums.

Any Jack fans, thoughts, etc.?

I really enjoy Jack Johnson as well and have all three albums. My only complaint about him would be the "sameness" of the three disks. He has written some great songs and I enjoy his voice. But he has developed a formula that he seems to be afraid to stray too far from. I've only listened to his newest disk twice, but I was disappointed by it. It was just more of the same. Nothing new really. I don't think that I would spring for number four unless he was willing to take some risks and expand his sound somehow.

Shwamdoo
03-27-2005, 12:42 PM
I noticed the same thing. Discs one and two were espesially similar. His third album was a bit more up-tempo with more going on, but it still has the same characteristic song progressions.

anamorphic96
03-27-2005, 03:01 PM
I agree his albums have tended to sound the same. But good none the less. His albums have good production quality. Someone obviously knows what there doing at the mixing board.

mad rhetorik
03-28-2005, 06:44 PM
He's like a more "tropical" take on the whitebread sounds of John Mayer. Boring frat party acoustic drivel. Bleehhh.