In need of a preamp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : In need of a preamp

Kaboom
03-26-2005, 07:17 AM
More than tired of my very crappy Vivanco Phono pre muddying up the beautiful sould of my goldring cartridge, time has come to upgrade. If it were possible, i'd probably try out Radio Shack's little rat, but spain being the third-wolrd dumpster it is, doesnt have any radio shack outlets.
So, my options are the project phono box or the little Nad. what do u people think i should be getting?
i could also spend a few weeks without lunch and get the lowe-end musical fidelity for like 250€
cheers!

squeegy200
03-27-2005, 06:27 AM
Cartridge, phono pre, and preamplifier combinations can be tricky. What sounds good in one combination may not sound good in another.

I find that phono stages and cartridges are often filled with more subjective opinion than anything else. Likely because few have the advantage of A/B testing specific combinations.

I'm not familiar with the Goldring.

The largest selection of Phono Pres I've discovered is the Needledoctor.com

He has Phono pres ranging from $50 on up to some of the most expensive ones I've seen. His Beltech926 cost ~$70 and sounded very similar to an NAD PP-1 I once used.

Geoffcin
03-27-2005, 08:10 AM
More than tired of my very crappy Vivanco Phono pre muddying up the beautiful sould of my goldring cartridge, time has come to upgrade. If it were possible, i'd probably try out Radio Shack's little rat, but spain being the third-wolrd dumpster it is, doesnt have any radio shack outlets.
So, my options are the project phono box or the little Nad. what do u people think i should be getting?
i could also spend a few weeks without lunch and get the lowe-end musical fidelity for like 250€
cheers!

I've owned Musical Fidelity gear and there's good reason to save your $$$. See if you can get a used phono preamp from Audiogon.

Here's a classic one you might get for a good price;

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1114873665

This preamp has both MM & MC with resistors so you can exactly match impedance.