Frustrated!!! Need recommendations for a good universal remote [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated!!! Need recommendations for a good universal remote

kexodusc
03-25-2005, 01:15 PM
I've finally had it...
I've got too many damn remotes in my system, and each one handles about 2 other components...well..some of the necessary features of the other components...even the Yamaha learning remote for my RX-V1400 isn't learning fast enough...
I'm looking for a half decent (and by that I mean inexpensive) remote that I can trust to learn how to operate my:
CD player - Yamaha
Receiver - Yamaha
DVD player - Toshiba
HDTV - Toshiba
HD STB - Motorola

And if it comes with a powered bag scratcher, all the better...
Does such a thing exist? Any chance it will cost less than $100? I could probably live with using 2 remotes...but switching between 4 is driving me nuts...what do you guys use?

Geoffcin
03-25-2005, 01:28 PM
I've finally had it...
I've got too many damn remotes in my system, and each one handles about 2 other components...well..some of the necessary features of the other components...even the Yamaha learning remote for my RX-V1400 isn't learning fast enough...
I'm looking for a half decent (and by that I mean inexpensive) remote that I can trust to learn how to operate my:
CD player - Yamaha
Receiver - Yamaha
DVD player - Toshiba
HDTV - Toshiba
HD STB - Motorola

Does such a thing exist? Any chance it will cost less than $100? I could probably live with using 2 remotes...but switching between 4 is driving me nuts...what do you guys use?

Best cheap answer;

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/features/harmony/us/en,CRID=2078

evil__betty
03-25-2005, 02:48 PM
That remote is kick ass! Retails for $199 CAN so it won't cost you your arm, leg, and first born - and will work with everything (although if you have a Tivo, I hear that there are some things that the remote won't do as well as the TiVo one can). Check it out, I highly recommend it.

kexodusc
03-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Hmm, after doing some quick research, I've come to realize these things aren't cheap...cheaper than buyig 6 replacements for the remotes I launch at the wall, though.
I don't have TiVo, I do have a PVR...don't know if that's the same...

Maybe it's time cash in some MasterCard points.

mr. budget
03-26-2005, 06:01 AM
I have that problem too, plus I can't shop on line because no credit card. I'm going to check out radio shack, ****, I just realized I'm going to need one that can memorize about 7000 commands. I have an old one with about 4 buttons, hey maybe if I just got it to remember the most important commands so I could put the others away for safekeeping then I could do with this one or a real cheap one from radio shack or wallmart. Maybe that's an idea I could suggest is try and fit the best commands on a cheap one (or two) and if that won't do maybe you could shop around...I know the logitech mouses are about 50 bucks but the one I got from radio shack was 9.99 and it's great. Maybe you could find one for $50-80 dollars online (like some miracle pop up might come up, like some totally futuristic one with billions of functions for $49.99 from nasa or something) or at a local store. Just some ideas.

Slosh
03-26-2005, 06:11 AM
You'd have to pry my Marantz RC2000 Mark II from my cold, dead hands ;) I don't think they make it anymore and it retailed for $250 US, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find one used for under $100. Thing is built like a brick sh<a>ithouse so I wouldn't worry too much about buying used. If you do find one make sure it's the Mark II model. Oh, and do yourself a favor and spend a few sheckles on two sets of Ni-MH batteries and a charger.

N. Abstentia
03-26-2005, 08:08 AM
I use the Home Theater Master SL-9000. It's under $100 and is a learning remote so it can clone any remote you throw at it.

ruadmaa
03-26-2005, 08:34 AM
I've finally had it...
CD player - Yamaha
Receiver - Yamaha
DVD player - Toshiba
HDTV - Toshiba
HD STB - Motorola

Just do a search for MX-500 LCD Remote Control on Google or explorer. It is one of the best heavy duty universal learning remotes in the business. You can buy it for about $85.00 and it does everything. If you buy two of them you can completely program the second unit from the first unit with the touch of a couple of buttons. It also handles macros and can be programmed to turn on/off multiple pieces of equipment with the touch of one button. I say it can't be beat for the money.

Aldo WIngate
03-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Home Theater Master MX-850

Hands down the best in the world. Pronto is way too wide and the lack of buttons mean you're snobby ass has to look at it every time you need to do something. If you want to just have a fancy piece of crap, buy Pronto. But if you are a real man, get a remote with buttons and the MX-850 will blow your mind!!!!!!!!!!!

kexodusc
03-28-2005, 04:08 AM
Thanks Waldo, my snobby ass just ordered an MX-850.

bikehikefish
03-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Sorry I didn't see this until after you ordered your remote.

fyi - I bought the All-for-One 8910 from J & R electronics for $30. Operates the cd, dvd, receiver, tv, and satelite receiver. I can program macros so with one button, everything turns on and is set correctly. It can learn from other remotes so I can assign keys on it for common functions (e.g. surround sound modes, etc).

Pretty good value if you ask me. All my other remotes stay in the drawer 99% of the time.

Almost forgot - it has a "Home Theater Mode", so that while I am in that mode the volume operates the receiver, the channel up/down operates the satelite receiver, and the play/stop/forward/etc operates the dvd. Pretty slick design.

jeskibuff
03-28-2005, 05:51 PM
I picked up an MX-850 a few weeks back and really like it. About a month before that I picked up a Logitech Harmony 659. The Harmony is WAY easier to setup with an amazing array of learned codes downloadable from their website. That said, once setup it seems to be rather inflexible - you can't customize it to your own needs. It's probably really good for the non-power user - a good remote to recommend to your technologically-challenged friends and relatives.

The MX- series has the flexibility and structure that I wanted. Not to mention one of the most important attributes - the ability to operate it without looking at it (once you're on the proper device). You can locate the buttons by feel whereas the Harmony requires you to hunt for what you're looking for.

I also got the MRF-250 RF controller. While it doesn't have the range I'd like it to have, it's nice to be able to make my selections without pointing the remote directly at the equipment.

Programming the MX-850 requires understanding the structure of the setup and that can be had from the 66-page downloadable manual (at UniversalRemote.com). If you screw up...no matter...you can easily make your changes. You don't even to have to be online to make them (as is necessary with the Harmony). Their code database is woefully inadequate compared to the Logitech offering so you'll probably have a lot of code learning to do. My advice is to work on one device at a time and when you're done, use the "export device" to save the results independently. You'll have all the learned codes at the ready and you can retrieve them and reorganize them once you get a better handle on the unit.

With all the MX- designations (-500,-600,-700,-800,-850) and the URC- models and the lack of comparison charts, I think HTM has cornered the market on product confusion. I tried to make distinctions between the units and finally gave up and bought the top-of-the-line from the MX- series. I was the victim of their conspiracy. ;) I think some of the lesser 20-device models would be just as accomplished.

I'll try a little harder to get the Harmony to do what I'd like it to do, but I think I'll just end up selling it.

kexodusc - while you're waiting for your new toy to arrive, I'd suggest downloading (and perhaps printing) the setup manual. Also download the setup software. Your unit was intended to be used by professional installers, so the manual you'll receive with it won't tell you what you need to set it up. You can begin configuring it even before you receive it!

kexodusc
03-29-2005, 04:34 AM
Oh geez, more learning...I need to have a kid I can order around to push the buttons for me...

edtyct
03-29-2005, 04:55 AM
Kex, it's obvious that you don't have any kids, or haven't had any around for a while. When they're willing to do something for you, they can't (even if it's just push a button). When they're finally competent enough to do it correctly, they won't. You're on your own.

jeskibuff
04-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Oh geez, more learning...I need to have a kid I can order around to push the buttons for me...So, you must've received it by now. Is it all set up now and are you happy with it?

hershon
04-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Open up a paypal account for free. You can at least use it on Ebay. All it takes is a checking account.

kexodusc
04-12-2005, 04:57 PM
The remote is nice, steep learning curve though...I have my HT room apart for renovations...haven't used it much :(

jeskibuff
04-12-2005, 05:28 PM
The remote is nice, steep learning curve though...Yeah, I'm still making little adjustments to mine. I'm less than pleased with the RC range on the MRF-250, but I guess that's par for the course (I'm not the only one who has the same complaint). You'd think with today's wireless technology they'd make a better relay unit. Still, for close range use, it's a nice feature.

hershon
04-13-2005, 12:11 AM
I was in Fry's (a huge LA electronics place about 50 times the size of Best Buy) today & I went by the Remote section when the Harmony 676 Logictech Remote totally caught my eye solely because apparently you can connect it by USB to their web site and have the computer do all the work. As I have no idea how to program a remote this totally appealed to me. So I bought it at the ridiculous price of $248 with tax as they have the lowest retail prices in the area. They also have a great 30 day no questions asked return policy. Before I opened the remote package up, I wanted to make sure I couldn't get it significantly lower online. So I first went to Logitech's website and was shocked that it retails their for $199 (plus I think shipping) as Fry's always seems to have the lowest prices, certainly not higher than the actual manufacturer's retail price when sold by them. I then did a google search and also checked Ebay. Well, prices varied between about $140- $200 with shipping at most of the online stores, and about $110- $150 on Ebay including "Buy it Now". I managed to get this for $115 including shipping sealed and new by actually winning an auction- I only bid in the last 10 seconds and usually just do "Buy it Now" anyway. The point of this is, if anyone is interested in this remote, they can get an excellent deal on Ebay, Amazon.com through their vendors & some online stores instead of paying $200 plus dollars retail. I'm going to return my unopened remote tommorow. I also called Logitech and apparently they are coming up with an even fancier one then the 676, called the Harmony 880 which will be available at the end of the month but the price on that is $249.

luvs2jam60
04-16-2005, 01:58 AM
Do yourself a favor....STAY AWAY FROM RCA! I purchased the RCU-1010 from Best Buy for a little under $100, thinking it was a good deal because of the size and customization of the LCD......wrong! It doesn't learn some older remotes (I'm only talking a couple years old!) and it doesn't even have a code dedicated for receivers....it just says "audio system." Plus, it takes about 10 tries in order to successfully learn a command. I learned the hard way about this one thinking I could get away with a decent universal remote for cheap from RCA, so no one make the same mistake I did. I'm definitely gonna look into the Internet-enables remotes like the one listed above too, I hear good things about those.

jeskibuff
04-16-2005, 03:09 AM
I don't know how much longer they'll be available, but Amazon.com currently has the (formerly) top-of-the-line Harmony SST-768 remotes on sale for $59.99, $49.99 after rebate with free shipping. It looks like Harmony has discontinued this one now that their 880 model is available. It was tough finding their bottom-of-the-line models available for under $90, so whether or not you like the "activity based" setup of the Harmonys, this is a deal that's hard to pass up on. They're available in blue, red and silver.

Click on the color you want to get to the appropriate page.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000CC7AG.01._PE76_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000CC7AG/103-4174695-6710224?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance)http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000084VGH.01._PE78_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000084VGH/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_2/103-4174695-6710224)http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000CC7AF.01._PE76_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000CC7AF/qid=1113649484/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_etk-electronics/103-4174695-6710224?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282)

agtpunx40
04-17-2005, 07:25 AM
Radio Shack Camelean about a year ago. It is learning, has a very good code bank, and looks cool, a conversation piece in it's own right. It's sort of a cross between a hard button, and a touch screen. You can't set all the labels like you can on a touch screen but only the buttons that you're going to use light up (for example on the cd player mode, the tv/video button isn't lit). This is really useful if you have less tech savy people who want to use the remote. It has macros, and has a home theater mode, where you can set different functions to control different things. OK, that wasn't very clear, on mine now, I have the volume controlling the reciever, the number keys and channel keys controling the TV (no cable box), and the menu and other dvd player functions controlling the dvd player. Again, makes it alot easier for those less tech savy, and is a good convenience otherwise. Has lots of other cool functions too. It also has a remote finder (although I keep it turned off since it drains the batteries slightly faster) and if you keep the brightness at a reasonable level, the battery life isn't bad. If you're really into it, I'm almost positive that I saw a simple way to hack it somewhere on the internet. Plus, it's like 60 or 70 bucks.

just checked the prices on the web site, the 6 in 1 in on sale for $35 and the 8 in 1 is $90 (although I didn't pay that much, must have gotten it on sale)