More March Madness Got Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD Player [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : More March Madness Got Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD Player

hershon
03-24-2005, 07:09 PM
My latest act of March Madness, I got the Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD player online, new from a company, decibelaudio.com, at a very good price, $449 including free shipping and no sales tax. They also sold me a bunch of audioquest cables at a discount as well.

After make several inquries to different companies I was told that the sound quality on certain higher grade CD players is better than most DVD/Universal players because the laser beam is different. I though what the hell, if I'm not happy with this, again I can sell it for close to what I paid for, on Ebay. So my once and future system now consists of a Denon 3801 Receiver, Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player, Cambridge Audio Azur 640C CD player & the love of my life, my Orb Audio Mod 1 speakers & Supereight Sub. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. At least I know that the HK DVD player makes a night and day difference to that of my build in JVC DVD player when connected via an optic cable, at least in regards to DVD sound (CD sound wasn't as good as the built in DVD player). Hoping to avoid Ebay route. I also am using Audioquest cables.

paul_pci
03-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Now you're going to need to buy an audio rack!

Eric Z
03-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Wow, Hershon! You're really determined to find the best sound. It also sounds like you're learning a lot about your purchases- I am, too!

I actually feel like this is part of a soap opera called, "As the world of Hershon's purchases turns."

Good luck on finding the best sound possible for you!

hershon
03-24-2005, 08:08 PM
The worst of what is becomming a total obsession, I'm becoming what I despised in regards to audio nirvana, is this was similar, hopefully I don't get censored here, to my quest for the perfect funk. When I finally got my 29 year old Sophia Loren when I lived overseas, I thought this was going to be the best moment of my life. She wasn't, she was so perfect she didn't think she had to do anything, and after I while I realised that maybe an 8 who makes 10 effort is better than a 10 who makes 0 effort. But ultimately I still want the 10 who makes 10 effort! The best line was from my ex who said I want to throw a woman a bone and have her act like its steak! Onwards and upwards.

Wow, Hershon! You're really determined to find the best sound. It also sounds like you're learning a lot about your purchases- I am, too!

I actually feel like this is part of a soap opera called, "As the world of Hershon's purchases turns."

Good luck on finding the best sound possible for you!

Eric Z
03-24-2005, 08:17 PM
Ah, women- can't live with 'em, can't live with 'em!

hershon
03-24-2005, 08:59 PM
The worst of this is, 75% - 85% of the time, there does not seem to be a fixed mathmatical formula as to what system will work with what, at least in my eyes. In the world of HIFi 1+1 does not always equal 2. Thank God for Ebay and 30 day returns!

Eric Z
03-25-2005, 06:20 AM
I agree, Hershon- the return policies at stores is key!

I've been having a bit of the upgraditis myself lately. I'm in the market for some speakers that may replace my Mirage FRX series. The only bad part is that I like the sound of my current set-up, but I don't have too much experience listening to other set-ups, so I really don't know how much better it can sound. I stop over to my local electronics store about once a week looking for the "too good to be true" deals- I've seen a couple of them once in a while (open box, returns, etc.).

It's a fun hobby, but I can see how it can take over some people's lives.

Good luck!
Eric

Rock789
03-25-2005, 04:58 PM
After make several inquries to different companies I was told that the sound quality on certain higher grade CD players is better than most DVD/Universal players because the laser beam is different.

I believe a dvd used blue light, where as cd uses red light...
the error in this guys comment... it is a digital signal... so the player will either read it or not...
it's not like phonograph where a different needle will produce different sound...

Mike

kexodusc
03-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Rock is correct...it either picks up the digital info or it doesn't - there's absolutely no difference at this stage of the game...now it might have better features, a better DAC for analog, better electronic components, etc...That laser beam harangue is proof positive that salespeople will believe and say anything...
That being said, there's a good chance the DAC in the CD player does suberb job with CD's, and might handle CD's better than your receiver's DAC would...I haven't tried CD's out in either of my two universal players yet, maybe I'll give that a go...I know my Arcam doesn't seem to do any better than my receiver at converting digital to analogue...at least nothing audible...

Cambridge Audio makes some good stuff, I'm sure you'll be happy with this..congrats on the new toy.

So, when you upgrading the speakers and moving the Orbs into the bathroom system? :D

Rock789
03-25-2005, 08:14 PM
also remember when he tried the hk dvd player, he was using the optical cable, so it wasn't even using the hk's DAC

paul_pci
03-25-2005, 10:43 PM
There was a difference playing movies on the HK vs. on the JVC receiver. Don't know how to explain it, and, as we all know, in theory, there shouldn't be a difference but there was. The movie had a stronger sound with greater presence than with the JVC. Again, I offer no explanations, just testimony.

hershon
03-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Wow today was a massive success day as my Denon 3801 receiver with my Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player & Orb Audio Speakers are a keeper and are utterly fantastic. I've started a new thread on this (not so much about me, forgive my self indulgence, but to offer, seriously, hope to others, finding themselves in the same frustrated predicaments as me who might want to try similar systems out). Anyway, today Paul from this board came over to help me set up my Denon and to give me independent feedback on my opnions of what I'm hearing which other people here who haven't heard the same equipment, tell me I'm in fact not hearing! Okay. Anyway, to make a long story short, Paul also agreed with me that: 1. DVDs played on my Denon DVD player heard through my JVC DVD Receiver (RX-31 DSL) by optic cable sounded better than those on the built in JVC DVD player, as the sound was clearer and had more presence. 2. Remastered CD's of pre 1980's recordings sounded better on my built in JVC DVD player than my Denon DVD player through the same JVC Receiver connected by optic cable.

When I then connected the Harmon Kardon DVD to the Denon 3801 receiver (this is another thread) the results were fantastic: DVD's as well as pre 1980's CD sounded absolutely incredible- a night and day difference to hearing them on the JVC built in DVD receiver, but I still listened to them with the same Orb Speakers & Sub which I love but alot of people here do not like the concept of.

also remember when he tried the hk dvd player, he was using the optical cable, so it wasn't even using the hk's DAC