DualDisc: the end of SACD and DVD-A? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DualDisc: the end of SACD and DVD-A?

Woochifer
03-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Amazing how much of a marketing push that DualDisc is getting from the various parties. A CD with extra DVD content, and a consistent format that all of the record companies are using -- shouldn't this have been planned from the beginning? With SACD and DVD-A, we got probably the most botched product launch this side of quadrophonic. A format war from the outset, plus the forced use of six-channel analog ouputs, are just two of the flaws that hobbled those formats.

SACD had an opportunity to take over the market because of its hybrid backwards compatibility with the CD format. Hybrid SACD/CD discs could have become the de facto standard in the market, but the widespread adoption of hybrid discs never took hold. IMO, Sony made a huge mistake by initially marketing it strictly as an audiophile format in order to push non-hybrid high res two-channel versions. They should have been pushing the multichannel capabilities hard from the very beginning.

Likewise, DVD-A's inability to provide backwards compatibility with the CD was its achilles heel. Any format that requires dual inventories is going to find big time resistance at the retail end. DualDisc was supposed to address this weakness, but the way that the DualDisc releases have sifted out, unfortunately providing high resolution multichannel playback does not seem to be part of the picture.

Thus far, the DualDiscs that I have seen generally offer an "enhanced stereo" mix (typically a 48/16 resolution track that's just raises the sampling rate), a multichannel mix in 5.1 Dolby Digital, and some video content.

The "enhanced stereo" mix might provide an opportunity to remaster and improve upon an existing version, but going with video content on the DVD layer now means that there's no longer enough disc space for anything beyond Dolby Digital for the multichannel audio. And to me, that's the biggest step backwards that DualDisc represents.

If DualDisc takes off, then it's great that so much more music be available in multichannel versions. But, the price is that we're stuck with the limitations of Dolby Digital.

I get the impression that SACD and DVD-A will soldier on as limited niche formats, but it seems that DualDisc has wiped out whatever chances that those formats had at succeeding as a mass market format.

toenail
03-25-2005, 03:27 AM
I'm pretty bummed about the whole DVD-A/SACD fiasco. I found a great universal in the Toshi 4960 and was all set to pursue hi-res audio on a budget, but the format wars, lack of sufficient titles and the expense of obtaining a new CD collection have quashed that for the moment.

I'm not sure that mutli-channel will ever be embraced by the mainstream, either through analog or DD. DVD content on music CD's seems just plain wasteful. Both end up being more of a novelty than anything. And as for hi-res, I can't imagine manufacturers taking the effort to put 192/24 2 channel on one side and RB CD on the other side. That would be ideal for me and others who would appreciate the high resolution/bit rate at home but want the flexibility for the car or the boombox.

kexodusc
03-25-2005, 04:19 AM
Wooch, are you sure about Dual Disc? My Nine Inch Nails Dual Disc has both a hi-rez MLP multi-channel track as well as Dolby Digital, and a hi-rez 2-channel track on the DVD side...check out my review in Rave Recs...

I think maybe the early DualDiscs will cheap out, but a lot of musicians are audiophiles too, I like the potential...
And I'm still of the opinion that this so-called format war doesn't have to be a war at all. We're in a new age of compatibility with absolutely everything else electronic...I see no reason why DVD-A/SACD couldn't work simultaneously. One thing I've learned since getting my new players is that the so-called demise of these formats has been vastly overstated...if you look at some old releases on SACD and DVD-A, most predicted 5-6 years for early market penetration...Dual Disc makes it even easier for more artists to get into this hi-rez/multi-channel stuff. Sales are increasing and slowly but steadily more artists are trying it out.

What I feel it will take is a solid recording by a creative artist with multi-channel music in mind from the start...not simply an "expansion" from stereo to 5.1, but an album designed from concept to be a 5.1 experience, one that just doesn't sound the same in stereo...then others will try it out too and the world will rejoice.

I just wish the studios would force these discs on the market - now that both formats have backwards compatibility, why not release everything in hybrid format? Surely the economies of scale that would be recognized could lower costs, and the value-added would make up the difference. Some people aren't going to learn about these until they read the liner notes and say "hey, I've got a DVD player" or "what the hell is SACD?"

Incidentally, Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails is also releasing the new NIN album in May, "With Teeth", (featuring Dave Grohl of all people on drums - that guys in 45 bands now) in may on Dual Disc with the hi-rez multi-channel and enhanced stereo tracks...sounds good to me...

Woochifer
03-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Wooch, are you sure about Dual Disc? My Nine Inch Nails Dual Disc has both a hi-rez MLP multi-channel track as well as Dolby Digital, and a hi-rez 2-channel track on the DVD side...check out my review in Rave Recs...

I think maybe the early DualDiscs will cheap out, but a lot of musicians are audiophiles too, I like the potential...
And I'm still of the opinion that this so-called format war doesn't have to be a war at all. We're in a new age of compatibility with absolutely everything else electronic...I see no reason why DVD-A/SACD couldn't work simultaneously. One thing I've learned since getting my new players is that the so-called demise of these formats has been vastly overstated...if you look at some old releases on SACD and DVD-A, most predicted 5-6 years for early market penetration...Dual Disc makes it even easier for more artists to get into this hi-rez/multi-channel stuff. Sales are increasing and slowly but steadily more artists are trying it out.

What I feel it will take is a solid recording by a creative artist with multi-channel music in mind from the start...not simply an "expansion" from stereo to 5.1, but an album designed from concept to be a 5.1 experience, one that just doesn't sound the same in stereo...then others will try it out too and the world will rejoice.

I just wish the studios would force these discs on the market - now that both formats have backwards compatibility, why not release everything in hybrid format? Surely the economies of scale that would be recognized could lower costs, and the value-added would make up the difference. Some people aren't going to learn about these until they read the liner notes and say "hey, I've got a DVD player" or "what the hell is SACD?"

Incidentally, Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails is also releasing the new NIN album in May, "With Teeth", (featuring Dave Grohl of all people on drums - that guys in 45 bands now) in may on Dual Disc with the hi-rez multi-channel and enhanced stereo tracks...sounds good to me...

I did not look at the NIN DualDisc, so that would be a good thing if it offers a MLP 5.1 version. Unfortunately, the way that I see the momentum shifting is towards squeezing as much video content and multimedia extras onto that DVD layer as possible. That does not leave enough bits to accommodate much in the way of high resolution digital audio, which is why the "enhanced stereo" tracks typically bump up the resolution, but nowhere near 96/24 or 192/24. I would even be fine with using one of the DTS variants (1.5 Kb DTS or DTS 96/24) to accommodate the multichannel audio, but unfortunately I see everything defaulting back to Dolby Digital for the multichannel audio.

DualDisc addresses the need for a hybrid CD/DVD, but just because a dual format disc is now available does not mean that the DVD layer will go to high resolution multichannel audio. I agree that this bodes well for more rapid adoption of 5.1 music mixes becoming available. However, the market reality is that most 5.1 systems out there are not ready for DVD-A or SACD, but all of them can handle Dolby Digital.

I think BMG Sony's embrace of DualDisc is the nail in the coffin for SACD ever becoming a mainstream format. This is a clear indication that any momentum to standardize new releases around hybrid CD/SACDs is now dead. Universal Music, BMG, and Sony were all rumored to have been ramping up to release all of their new albums in the hybrid SACD disc format, the only thing they were supposedly waiting for was for manufacturing capacity to open up (at that time, the worldwide hybrid manufacturing capacity was consumed by the Pink Floyd and Rolling Stones hybrid releases). And IMO, that was the best opportunity to establish SACD as a viable mass market format. SACD's shortcoming was the lack of video content and multimedia capabilities. Supposedly, SACD II would remedy that, but I have only read the proposed specs and not seen any product identfied as SACD II.

The NY Times wrote an article about DualDisc earlier this week, and it said that the recording companies are enthusiastic about its prospects specifically because it primarily uses widely adopted formats. DVD-A and SACD are not widely adopted. The achilles heel of both DVD-A and SACD are that they require a separate six-channel analog connection. If they could work off of the same digital connection that DD and DTS use, while retaining the copy protection, then that lessens the market resistance because all that has to occur at that point is to add the DVD-A and SACD capability to next generation processor chips in much the same way that DTS got added to all new home theater processors. At this point, it may not be enough since I believe that DualDisc will take off, and it won't take high res 5.1 with it.

Duds
03-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Well if they want Dual Discs to become more popular, they better fix the problem of them not playing in all players.

kexodusc
03-26-2005, 04:06 AM
The problem of them not playing on all players is no greater than the problem with enhanced and HDCD's...that small minority is just going to be out of luck, the problem isn't widespread enough to have much influence, other than possibly scaring a few people...
Geez, I've got RBCD's that fight with some players.

Wooch: After doing quite a bit of searches for reviews on titles, etc, it seems that Sony labels are the biggest "wasters" of this format, using the standard resolution of 48kHz (and I believe 24 bit) for the DVD stereo side (with some exceptions)...the Warner labels and others have basically done a true DVD-A job on their discs with higher rez capability...but often at the expense of videos, etc...sometimes you get one or the other...I think it's doubtful we'll see many 192kHz/24bit stereo tracks on DualDiscs anytime soon.

For what it's worth, my brief experiences with 24/48 have been excellent, and if we could just pull that out of this mess as a new standard, I'd be a happy camper, and the world would be better off...It doesn't look like there'll be an end to the release of "audiophile" targeted, higher rez discs anytime soon anyway, so I'll still have the option of paying more for albums that probably truly benefit.

Not be a conspiracy theorist, but could Sony be trying to deliberately poison this format with half-assed Dual-Disc releases? After all, I'm sure they don't want the DualDiscs to sound better than SACDs...

On a side note: I had an opportunity to spend 2 hours with AC/DC's "Back In Black" DualDisc remaster...a good example of the benefits of 24/48 over RBCD...sure it's not 24/192 but at least it's a modest start.

Either way, we've only hit the 6 month mark or so...way too early to tell where this will end up...but I've got to believe that before I die we will have a new, better sounding format that replaces CD and Vinyl.

I gotta funny feeling when Blu-Ray and HD-DVD hit the market, we'll be seeing more Dual-Disc ideas for music too, taking advantage of the increased storage capacities...maybe uncompressed multi-channel music isn't that far off?

abstracta
03-27-2005, 08:54 PM
As much as I support either SACD over DVD-A over long in the tooth RBCD, the truth is that SACD is doomed in the long run because the demographic that's buying music is increasingly wanting it on a universal format they can exchange, copy, etc.

Thanks to Sony's prohibitions on SACD DAC distributions, it will go the way of HDCD. The general buying public is just not going to keep buying expensive SACD's and DVD-As unless the high price also includes other mixed content.

Higher density, non proprietary recording formats will win in the long run simply by attrition {sigh}

kexodusc
03-28-2005, 03:44 AM
abstracta: I think you're right...proprietary copy-protection cables that are brand unique or very expensive aren't helping either.
In the end, I've decided I don't care.
Many of my favorite artists have and continue to use SACD/DVD-A with high-rez mixing...I've already got the universal player...if I get only a few years of pleasure out of this until a future format emerges, or the world forever decides RBCD is the final format, I'll still be quite happy...considering the number of hours I've already spent with it, I'd say it was a great investment.

Quagmire
03-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Amazing how much of a marketing push that DualDisc is getting from the various parties. A CD with extra DVD content, and a consistent format that all of the record companies are using -- shouldn't this have been planned from the beginning? With SACD and DVD-A, we got probably the most botched product launch this side of quadrophonic. A format war from the outset, plus the forced use of six-channel analog ouputs, are just two of the flaws that hobbled those formats.

SACD had an opportunity to take over the market because of its hybrid backwards compatibility with the CD format. Hybrid SACD/CD discs could have become the de facto standard in the market, but the widespread adoption of hybrid discs never took hold. IMO, Sony made a huge mistake by initially marketing it strictly as an audiophile format in order to push non-hybrid high res two-channel versions. They should have been pushing the multichannel capabilities hard from the very beginning.

Likewise, DVD-A's inability to provide backwards compatibility with the CD was its achilles heel. Any format that requires dual inventories is going to find big time resistance at the retail end. DualDisc was supposed to address this weakness, but the way that the DualDisc releases have sifted out, unfortunately providing high resolution multichannel playback does not seem to be part of the picture.

Thus far, the DualDiscs that I have seen generally offer an "enhanced stereo" mix (typically a 48/16 resolution track that's just raises the sampling rate), a multichannel mix in 5.1 Dolby Digital, and some video content.

The "enhanced stereo" mix might provide an opportunity to remaster and improve upon an existing version, but going with video content on the DVD layer now means that there's no longer enough disc space for anything beyond Dolby Digital for the multichannel audio. And to me, that's the biggest step backwards that DualDisc represents.

If DualDisc takes off, then it's great that so much more music be available in multichannel versions. But, the price is that we're stuck with the limitations of Dolby Digital.

I get the impression that SACD and DVD-A will soldier on as limited niche formats, but it seems that DualDisc has wiped out whatever chances that those formats had at succeeding as a mass market format.
Good post, Woochifer. I guess my bottom line on this thing is that it pisses me off! I've said from the beginning that I DIDN'T think both formats could coexist, and that the format war was hurting the chances of either being a success. I've also said, that if SACD had been introduced as Hybrid and with more emphasis on mulitchannel, this WAR would be over by now. I think both formats offer true sonic benefits over Redbook CD, but the thing I have never liked about DVD-Audio is that it needs a video component to be usable. I MUCH prefer the audio only functionality of SACD over DVD-A; and if they had taken the time to consider the listening habits of those "audiophile" music enthusiasts who would genuinely be interested in a Hi Rez music format, I think they would have discovered that tying this type of listening to a Home Theater environment and the need for a video display was a mistake. People were enjoying music via reel to reel and vinyl long before the Mtv generation came along and made it necessary to have some video component to thier music system. The magic of truly well defined music reproduction is that the music "takes you there" and there is no need for visual stimulation aside from the images conjured up in the mind. It's like... as a Home Theater enthusiast I obviously enjoy movies. But even this is no substitute for the experience of sitting down with a good book. It's ironic but somehow the more overwhelming they try to make these entertainment experiences, the less engaging they really are. There is very little effort required of the movie viewer as compared to the that of the reader. I think the same comparison can be drawn between those who are willing to actually sit and listen to music (now there is a novel idea) becoming a participant in the musical experience and those who want the whole thing spoon fed to them on a video display. I say... let them have their "DualDisc" and their "MP3's" and the like. I'm heading back to Vinyl.

That's definitely my rant for the day.

Q

shokhead
03-31-2005, 07:02 AM
DD isnt getting any more of a push then multi-channel did before it came out,you all have just forgotten. They talked about it for quite awhile and everone was so hyped up about it till it finally got here. I dont hear the much for DD,not like that. Also look how long its taken disc's to come out in DVD-A and SACD,still slim pick'ens out there so how many DD will we have to pick from in 5 years? I'm not sure any of these are going to go over big because of the new gen doesnt care about quality,they care about quanity. My kids{18 and 20 and a boyfriend at 24} could care less about DVD-A,SACD and DD. I-pod and mp3's,now your talking there talk.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-31-2005, 10:33 AM
I think the trend toward bottom feeding is here to stay. As it was stated in a previous thread, no one sit's down to listen to music anymore. No one really cares about the quality, they just want the music to be easy to rip, file share, and portable

For me, I hope SACD, DVD-A, Bluray, nor HD DVD ever become mainstream. I do not want these formats quality pushed downward by joe blow wanting his screen filled with pan and scan, or the audio pushed downward to standard rez just so they can listen to songs with standard DVD players.

I have to agree with Wooch. Sony could have ended this format war before it even got started. To release a format to the public without providing the proper alignment tools, or the pipeline(digital output) so that existing tools could be used, and for the sole purpose of keeping the public from copying(SACD more than DVD-A) is stupid, shortsighted, and a waste of money.

I do not know about anyone else here, but I am sick and tired of the record companies forcing copy protection on us, and in the process of doing that, causing every new format(especially the high rez ones) to become still born before they could even be released to the public. This kind of sabotage only creates strong resentment between the public and the companies themselves. If they turned out a decent product for a decent price, file sharing would be limited to out of print songs and albums, and hard to get stuff. But while the cost of producing a disc has gone down, prices have gone up, and this is what is creating the current situation.

I personally am not going to support a format with its main multichannel mix being a Dolby Digital. There is a reason producers have not selected DD as a format for multichannel delivery. It is not even close to transparent, and alot of artifacts are hidden by the fact that film soundtracks do not really challenge this format, music does. A STEREO high rez mix doesn't cut it at all. 16/48khz is not high rez.

For these very reason above, dual disc will probably do well. It is a mainstream format for the masses. I do not mind if SACD and DVD-A remain niche formats. Laserdisc did for years, and it got all of the extra, the quality, and almost every movie was released on it. If the masses want the low quality stuff, great! But for those of us who have invested heavily to get the most out of the high rez formats, give us SACD and DVD-A.

kexodusc
03-31-2005, 11:37 AM
I personally am not going to support a format with its main multichannel mix being a Dolby Digital. There is a reason producers have not selected DD as a format for multichannel delivery. It is not even close to transparent, and alot of artifacts are hidden by the fact that film soundtracks do not really challenge this format, music does. A STEREO high rez mix doesn't cut it at all. 16/48khz is not high rez.

For these very reason above, dual disc will probably do well. It is a mainstream format for the masses. I do not mind if SACD and DVD-A remain niche formats. Laserdisc did for years, and it got all of the extra, the quality, and almost every movie was released on it. If the masses want the low quality stuff, great! But for those of us who have invested heavily to get the most out of the high rez formats, give us SACD and DVD-A.

Are there not "standards" for DualDIsc? Seems to me that some of the offering, like DVD-A range from full MLP hi-rez, to crappy DD (though some DVD-A's don't do any better than 16-bit/48kHz to be fair)...
Also, how many DVD-A's were "dual layered", with 9.6 GB or whatever space it is? It woudl seem to me that this would be the largest drawback to DualDisc...

03-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Are there not "standards" for DualDIsc? Seems to me that some of the offering, like DVD-A range from full MLP hi-rez, to crappy DD (though some DVD-A's don't do any better than 16-bit/48kHz to be fair)...
Also, how many DVD-A's were "dual layered", with 9.6 GB or whatever space it is? It woudl seem to me that this would be the largest drawback to DualDisc...

The DVD standard states(and I believe that goes for DVD-A also) is that a DD soundtrack must be included on every DVD. That can be anything from 5.1 to 2.0. I also believe that by default the CD layer will have to be 16/44.1khz, and the DVD side limitation would probably be 5.1 24/96khz that is MLP packed. Though I cannot see how they are going to provide video along with MLP 5.1 24/96khz. Seems to me they would quickly run out of space. I may be wrong though(that has been known to happen!)

Dual Disc is strictly a mainstream format. No trying to be arrogant, but why in the hell would I put so much money into my system, upgrading speakers, amps and the like, just to get what we can already get now. As long as SACD continues to offer jazz and classical music, that is where I am spending my money. DD for music? yeck!

Quagmire
03-31-2005, 03:22 PM
"As long as SACD continues to offer jazz and classical music, that is where I am spending my money. DD for music? yeck!"

I am willing to hold out hope that SACD will stay around as a niche format for those of us who do want something better than Dolby Digital music and RBCD. But I'm afraid that they will simply abandon it altogether. If they're not going to make content available to us while they're introducing the technology, what can we expect when they are no longer trying to establish it as a mainstream format? Perhaps if DualDisc comes along and displaces DVD-A completely it will clear the way for SACD to finally be accepted as the standard Hi Rez musical format and that will be enough for studios to get behind it. One good thing DualDisc might accompish, should this happen, would be to firmly establish multichannel mixes as a defacto standard for music. Maybe the same mixes can be used for both DualDisc and SACD, just at different resolutions. Can you speak to the possibility of this scenario, Sir TT?

Q

Woochifer
03-31-2005, 04:05 PM
DD isnt getting any more of a push then multi-channel did before it came out,you all have just forgotten. They talked about it for quite awhile and everone was so hyped up about it till it finally got here. I dont hear the much for DD,not like that. Also look how long its taken disc's to come out in DVD-A and SACD,still slim pick'ens out there so how many DD will we have to pick from in 5 years? I'm not sure any of these are going to go over big because of the new gen doesnt care about quality,they care about quanity. My kids{18 and 20 and a boyfriend at 24} could care less about DVD-A,SACD and DD. I-pod and mp3's,now your talking there talk.

In case you're unaware of this, DualDisc has only hit the market the past couple of months. That's hardly enough time to judge its potential in the marketplace, and the big rollout hasn't even begun yet. If anything, the launch of SACD and DVD-A was botched big time because no one bothered to explain the benefits of those formats. All you have to do is point to SACD's initial launch as a two-channel high res format (all of the early disc players and disc releases were two-channel).

The key to DualDisc's success in the market is that it very well could become the de facto standard for nearly all new releases in the next few years. The DualDisc has been positioned as a replacement for the CD, so it doesn't matter if you or your kids don't have DualDisc on your respective radars. If DualDisc succeeds, you'll see those at your local stores instead of a regular CD version.

DualDisc is the only format that's been endorsed by every major record label, and there are new releases due to come out over the next few months exclusively in DualDisc. DVD-A and SACD have persistently had divisions between the record companies because of who owns the patents for those respective formats. There's no format war with DualDisc, and the only thing holding DualDisc back is the incompatibility issues with certain CD players.

The whole point of DualDisc is to entice people to buy music again instead of just downloading it. The success of DVD came about because it offered value and a lot of extra features for not much more than the price of a CD. With DualDisc, the record companies can offer the same kind of extra value for consumers that the DVD has been able to offer. For only about a buck more than audio-only CDs, DualDiscs can support a wide range of extras on the DVD side -- whether that be high res audio, multichannel tracks, video content, or other multimedia extras.

All you have to do is look at the huge sales growth of DVD music videos to see the appeal of combining video content with an album release. And the growth of multichannel music is unevitable as more people invest in home theater systems, 5.1 audio systems get installed in cars, and more computers come standard with 5.1 audio. And decoding schemes like Dolby Headphone and SRS are only beginning scratch the surface of creating surround effects on two-channel and portable devices with multichannel soundtracks.

Your comments about quantity versus quality, all I can say is what else is new? The consumers listening to music through their iPods and portable devices are the same types of consumers who toted around those portable record changers with the integrated speakers in the 60s, portable 8-track and cassette boomboxes in the 70s, cassette Walkmans in the 80s, and portable CD players in the 90s. Long before the CD became the format of choice, prerecorded cassette sales passed LP sales. The cassette was a far inferior format to the LP, but it became the volume leader for the exact same reasons why MP3 players are now popular. And personally, I'd take the sound quality of a MP3 over a prerecorded cassette any day.

Woochifer
03-31-2005, 04:24 PM
"As long as SACD continues to offer jazz and classical music, that is where I am spending my money. DD for music? yeck!"

I am willing to hold out hope that SACD will stay around as a niche format for those of us who do want something better than Dolby Digital music and RBCD. But I'm afraid that they will simply abandon it altogether. If they're not going to make content available to us while they're introducing the technology, what can we expect when they are no longer trying to establish it as a mainstream format? Perhaps if DualDisc comes along and displaces DVD-A completely it will clear the way for SACD to finally be accepted as the standard Hi Rez musical format and that will be enough for studios to get behind it. One good thing DualDisc might accompish, should this happen, would be to firmly establish multichannel mixes as a defacto standard for music. Maybe the same mixes can be used for both DualDisc and SACD, just at different resolutions. Can you speak to the possibility of this scenario, Sir TT?

Q

I'm with you on this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that widespead adoption of DualDisc does not spell the end for high res multichannel.

The problem with SACD is that 1) it requires a new player and six-channel analog inputs, and 2) Warner and Toshiba will never go along with it because they developed the DVD and DVD-A formats and supporting SACD means shelling out royalties to Sony and Philips, and rewarding them for sustaining a format war that to a large degree impeded the growth of DVD-A.

I think that with DualDisc, multichannel music will finally get a chance. Terrence has indicated in the past that 5.1 mixing is now common practice, and the CD mixes are downmixed from those multichannel sources. This means that there's a lot of material out there just waiting for release.

The problem that I see with DualDisc is that there's currently no rhyme or reason to what goes on that DVD side. Not all DualDiscs include video content, not all of them include a multichannel mix, not all of them include a high res soundtrack, and not all of them include other supplemental materials. As things shake out, I have a feeling that DualDiscs, especially with new releases, will include a 5.1 soundtrack in DD, some kind of documentary/interview, music videos and concert footage, and probably some online links. I think the "enhanced stereo" tracks will only come with older albums that don't have multichannel mixes available, and increasingly the DVD-A tracks will be limited to only a few select artists who demand it or whose recording quality clearly justifies it.

All in all, a mixed picture. I like the expansion of multichannel, but it takes a step backwards to Dolby Digital in order to make it happen.

shokhead
03-31-2005, 05:58 PM
In case you're unaware of this, DualDisc has only hit the market the past couple of months. That's hardly enough time to judge its potential in the marketplace, and the big rollout hasn't even begun yet. If anything, the launch of SACD and DVD-A was botched big time because no one bothered to explain the benefits of those formats. All you have to do is point to SACD's initial launch as a two-channel high res format (all of the early disc players and disc releases were two-channel).

The key to DualDisc's success in the market is that it very well could become the de facto standard for nearly all new releases in the next few years. The DualDisc has been positioned as a replacement for the CD, so it doesn't matter if you or your kids don't have DualDisc on your respective radars. If DualDisc succeeds, you'll see those at your local stores instead of a regular CD version.

DualDisc is the only format that's been endorsed by every major record label, and there are new releases due to come out over the next few months exclusively in DualDisc. DVD-A and SACD have persistently had divisions between the record companies because of who owns the patents for those respective formats. There's no format war with DualDisc, and the only thing holding DualDisc back is the incompatibility issues with certain CD players.

The whole point of DualDisc is to entice people to buy music again instead of just downloading it. The success of DVD came about because it offered value and a lot of extra features for not much more than the price of a CD. With DualDisc, the record companies can offer the same kind of extra value for consumers that the DVD has been able to offer. For only about a buck more than audio-only CDs, DualDiscs can support a wide range of extras on the DVD side -- whether that be high res audio, multichannel tracks, video content, or other multimedia extras.

All you have to do is look at the huge sales growth of DVD music videos to see the appeal of combining video content with an album release. And the growth of multichannel music is unevitable as more people invest in home theater systems, 5.1 audio systems get installed in cars, and more computers come standard with 5.1 audio. And decoding schemes like Dolby Headphone and SRS are only beginning scratch the surface of creating surround effects on two-channel and portable devices with multichannel soundtracks.

Your comments about quantity versus quality, all I can say is what else is new? The consumers listening to music through their iPods and portable devices are the same types of consumers who toted around those portable record changers with the integrated speakers in the 60s, portable 8-track and cassette boomboxes in the 70s, cassette Walkmans in the 80s, and portable CD players in the 90s. Long before the CD became the format of choice, prerecorded cassette sales passed LP sales. The cassette was a far inferior format to the LP, but it became the volume leader for the exact same reasons why MP3 players are now popular. And personally, I'd take the sound quality of a MP3 over a prerecorded cassette any day.

As i remember,they talked quite awhile about multi-channel audio before it came out,quite awhile. Potential in the market place,they still talk about that with SACD and DVD-A. 4-tracks,8-tracks,cassette,cd. Cassette had a lot more advanages going for it then the LP had. LP's passed away so quickly{i think 8-tracks was the start} because it was good for one place and handle them with care. Back to DD, jury is still out with SACD and DVD-A and how long have they been out? It might be that long plus for another format to take hold. I'm not interested right now. I pretty sure most under 30 could care less about all the above multi-channel formats. We'll see.

03-31-2005, 08:42 PM

I am willing to hold out hope that SACD will stay around as a niche format for those of us who do want something better than Dolby Digital music and RBCD. But I'm afraid that they will simply abandon it altogether.

I do not think they will abandon it totally. They(Sony) are still releasing DVD players with SACD decoding as we speak, and that confirms to me that they still hold out possibilities for this format. Please quote me on this, I will never buy a format the relies solely on DD for multichannel sound. Dts, perhaps. I have plenty of music Dts music that has excellent sound quality, especially the few 24/96khz mixes I have. But my experience with DD handle music even on soundtracks leave alot to be desired when you compare it to the printmaster.

If they're not going to make content available to us while they're introducing the technology, what can we expect when they are no longer trying to establish it as a mainstream format?

My guess is they will treat it like they treat DVD-V now. Pan and scan, half bitrate Dts, low resolution DD. They will make it as mainstream as they possibly can. No thanks!

Perhaps if DualDisc comes along and displaces DVD-A completely it will clear the way for SACD to finally be accepted as the standard Hi Rez musical format and that will be enough for studios to get behind it.

That is a scenario that I haven't even thought of. If anything dual disc will at least reduce the prominence of DVD-A, because remember you still cannot play a MLP 5.1 soundtrack with a non DVD-A player. So the main selling point is the CD layer, and the low resolution DD 5.1 soundtrack. When you consider the prestigious recording labels that have thrown their support behind SACD, you'll completely understand why it is important for Sony to continue to support the SACD format. If they abandon it after someone has paid $100G's for a sonic solution DSD upgrade for mastering, you won't ever make that kind of investment for a Sony introduced format again.

One good thing DualDisc might accompish, should this happen, would be to firmly establish multichannel mixes as a defacto standard for music. Maybe the same mixes can be used for both DualDisc and SACD, just at different resolutions. Can you speak to the possibility of this scenario, Sir TT?
Q

kexodusc
04-01-2005, 04:44 AM
I think Wooch said it best...there appears to be a fair amount of discretion as to what exactly gets put on the DVD layer...I only own 2 DualDiscs so far...both have little in the way of video content (11 minutes or less), one has a hi-rez MLP track, the other a bastardized 24 bit/48Hz "hi-rez" 2-channel track (only because of the early digital recording format the album was recorded in in 1993, thanks Pro-Tools, otherwise it would have been 24/96.). The both have your standard hi-rez 5.1 multi channel track in addition to the Dolby Digital track...
This is enough for me..
Hell, even if we could convince everyone to start adding 5.1 DTS tracks to DualDisc it would be a big step forward if it finally became the standard...

Baby steps, guys, baby steps...

One obstacle DualDisc may have to overcome is the fact that they CANNOT call the CD layer, a "CD layer"...Phillips won't license it to them, apparently, as the thickness of the disc does not meet standard...so many DualDiscs refer to it as the "audio layer" or "non-DVD layer"...more confusion for ya.

shokhead
04-01-2005, 06:27 AM
I do not think they will abandon it totally. They(Sony) are still releasing DVD players with SACD decoding as we speak, and that confirms to me that they still hold out possibilities for this format. Please quote me on this, I will never buy a format the relies solely on DD for multichannel sound. Dts, perhaps. I have plenty of music Dts music that has excellent sound quality, especially the few 24/96khz mixes I have. But my experience with DD handle music even on soundtracks leave alot to be desired when you compare it to the printmaster.

My guess is they will treat it like they treat DVD-V now. Pan and scan, half bitrate Dts, low resolution DD. They will make it as mainstream as they possibly can. No thanks!

That is a scenario that I haven't even thought of. If anything dual disc will at least reduce the prominence of DVD-A, because remember you still cannot play a MLP 5.1 soundtrack with a non DVD-A player. So the main selling point is the CD layer, and the low resolution DD 5.1 soundtrack. When you consider the prestigious recording labels that have thrown their support behind SACD, you'll completely understand why it is important for Sony to continue to support the SACD format. If they abandon it after someone has paid $100G's for a sonic solution DSD upgrade for mastering, you won't ever make that kind of investment for a Sony introduced format again.

I have afew DTS music disc's and like them alot. Unless i've missed them,DVD-A doesnt have much in the way of video on them.

04-01-2005, 11:02 AM
I think Wooch said it best...there appears to be a fair amount of discretion as to what exactly gets put on the DVD layer...I only own 2 DualDiscs so far...both have little in the way of video content (11 minutes or less), one has a hi-rez MLP track, the other a bastardized 24 bit/48Hz "hi-rez" 2-channel track (only because of the early digital recording format the album was recorded in in 1993, thanks Pro-Tools, otherwise it would have been 24/96.). The both have your standard hi-rez 5.1 multi channel track in addition to the Dolby Digital track...
This is enough for me..
Hell, even if we could convince everyone to start adding 5.1 DTS tracks to DualDisc it would be a big step forward if it finally became the standard...

Baby steps, guys, baby steps...

One obstacle DualDisc may have to overcome is the fact that they CANNOT call the CD layer, a "CD layer"...Phillips won't license it to them, apparently, as the thickness of the disc does not meet standard...so many DualDiscs refer to it as the "audio layer" or "non-DVD layer"...more confusion for ya.

Baby steps?????? Redbook CD is a mature format. DVD-A has been out for a few years. They should be familar enough with both formats that they could turn out a quality product with better sound formats and more video content. These are not new formats to anyone.

kexodusc
04-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Sir T, DVD-A and DualDisc are brand new to 99% of the population, regardless of how many years the underlying technologies have existed...Bose has made millions of this concept...
While they can be better than they are, if all I have to choose from is RBCD or DualDisc with incremental improvements, I'll take DualDisc every single time, whether I like the fact it could be better or not..At least I'm doing my bit to tell the labels I want something better than RBCD and vinyl.

I guess my optimistic personality recognizes some improvement is better than no improvement at all.

Now if SACD perseveres through all of this and starts getting more releases, even better...and that WOULD be the ultimate irony.

Woochifer
04-01-2005, 12:03 PM
I think the trend toward bottom feeding is here to stay. As it was stated in a previous thread, no one sit's down to listen to music anymore. No one really cares about the quality, they just want the music to be easy to rip, file share, and portable

You're right in that the trend to portability and ripping files is the new wrinkle. But, I also think that the bottomfeeding trend is nothing new. Even back in the LP heyday, the majority of people I knew did not play their records on hi-fi systems and turntables. Rather, they stacked them onto a record changer spindle (remember the ones where you could stack six LPs at a time?) and listened to them through crappy BSR record players (the ones that got dropped into the top of those all-in-one systems) or those suitcase sized portable record changers with the integrated speakers and flipdown record player. If the world was about quality 20 years ago, prerecorded cassette sales would have never surpassed LPs. In that regard, I'll listen to a 96k MP3 over a prerecorded cassette anyday.

I do not know about anyone else here, but I am sick and tired of the record companies forcing copy protection on us, and in the process of doing that, causing every new format(especially the high rez ones) to become still born before they could even be released to the public. This kind of sabotage only creates strong resentment between the public and the companies themselves. If they turned out a decent product for a decent price, file sharing would be limited to out of print songs and albums, and hard to get stuff. But while the cost of producing a disc has gone down, prices have gone up, and this is what is creating the current situation.

I think you nailed it with that last statement. I remember when the CD got introduced with that $5-$7 price premium over LPs and cassettes. The record companies said that the prices were due to higher production costs. Well, production costs declined to the point that cassette duplicating was costlier than pressing CDs, yet that price differential remained in place.

This is why I don't have any sympathy for the record companies when they decry piracy. Their actions frequently work against the consumer. They'd already sung the piracy song the last time the industry went into a decline, and tried to get congress to levy royalty payments on blank audio tapes. They said that cassette taping was the reason the music industry went into the tank in the early-80s. To the contrary, it was tired uninspired music dominating the charts, competition from the then-new practice of video rentals, and competition from video games. Very much the same set of circumstances that the music industry faces right now. Instead of VHS, the Atari 2600 and Pac-Man, the competition is now DVD, Playstation 2/Xbox, and Grand Theft Auto.

If the music industry wants to retain market share, they need to provide added value. What they currently provide is a 23-year old audio-only format, escalating prices, derivative music, and declining value relative to the other entertainment options out there. I work with consumer expenditure data, and the simple fact is that people spend about the same percentage of their income on entertainment. The difference over the last few years has been where they apply that spending. Spending on music has gone down, but spending on videos and video games has increased by a nearly equal amount.

DualDisc is a step in the right direction because it brings the content value of a music purchase in line with what a DVD offers. If the music industry wants to continue to charge the prices that they do, they need to provide something extra to consumers. Their only other alternative is to lower prices to spur demand.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if this is a Laserdisc situation. Laserdisc won out over CED fairly early, and had the higher end video market to itself. Right now, you got the record companies divided into two camps with vested interests in separate high res formats. Even with universal players, SACD and DVD-A have different bass management, and SACD cannot vary the delay timing.

With these high res formats relegated to niche status, I don't see a big run on 5.1 remixing of older albums. From what I understand, the production cost involved in 5.1 remixing is high, and definitely more involved than remastering a two-channel version. If either DVD-A or SACD got standardized and promoted as the format of the future, then you might see a more justifiable investment in remixing older albums. With DualDisc, I can easily see the video content dominating the space on the DVD side, and with the cost involved, you might not see too many multichannel mixes accompanying older albums.

What I'm afraid of is not another Laserdisc situation, but another quadraphonic debacle. In that case, consumer resistance and dueling formats effectively killed the market, and poisoned the waters for multichannel for years to come.

Woochifer
04-01-2005, 12:32 PM
As i remember,they talked quite awhile about multi-channel audio before it came out,quite awhile. Potential in the market place,they still talk about that with SACD and DVD-A. 4-tracks,8-tracks,cassette,cd. Cassette had a lot more advanages going for it then the LP had. LP's passed away so quickly{i think 8-tracks was the start} because it was good for one place and handle them with care. Back to DD, jury is still out with SACD and DVD-A and how long have they been out? It might be that long plus for another format to take hold. I'm not interested right now. I pretty sure most under 30 could care less about all the above multi-channel formats. We'll see.

Sure, there was plenty of talk about multichannel music -- that's been ongoing since the demise of quad in the mid-70s. Where it all fell apart was issuing high res multichannel music in dueling formats that both require six-channel analog in/outputs. SACD further shot itself in the foot by first promoting the format as a high res two-channel format. The first SACD players cost over $1,000 and could not play multichannel. SACDs for about the first year of release were all two-channel.

SACD had a hybrid CD/SACD disc format from the beginning. But, Sony could not make up its mind if it wanted to promote SACD as an audiophile niche format (like in the beginning when everything was two-channel), or as a mass market successor to the CD that would use the multichannel capabilities as the enticement for consumers (when they made a high quality $200 SACD changer, lowered prices, and put out word that new releases would soon all come out in the CD/SACD hybrid format). Ultimately, they tried it both ways and it just created confusion. And when consumers are confused, they keep their cash in their wallets.

For consumers under 30, don't count out the importance of multichannel just yet. They are just as enamored as anyone over what 5.1 audio adds to movie viewing. Multichannel audio systems have only become the standard over the past four years or so. The transition from two-channel to 5.1 started in earnest with the introduction of the DVD. As 5.1 went down the chain, you saw it become the standard in a variety of systems. Now, 5.1 has reached the mini-system, car audio, and computer level. With continued growth in multichannel hardware, I would guess that some demand for multichannel sources would grow along with it. DVD-A and SACD are still too new for final verdicts to come in just yet, and considering how badly the marketing of those formats has been handled, it's amazing that they've fared as well as they have in various markets. The CD format was over 10 years old by the time it finally passed cassettes in unit sales.

And as far as the LP goes, it was the prevailing format for over 30 years and even now has not gone away. The 8-track was a non-starter and went away by the late-70s. The cassette did not come to dominate sales until a few years after Sony introduced the Walkman in 1979.

shokhead
04-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Sure, there was plenty of talk about multichannel music -- that's been ongoing since the demise of quad in the mid-70s. Where it all fell apart was issuing high res multichannel music in dueling formats that both require six-channel analog in/outputs. SACD further shot itself in the foot by first promoting the format as a high res two-channel format. The first SACD players cost over $1,000 and could not play multichannel. SACDs for about the first year of release were all two-channel.

SACD had a hybrid CD/SACD disc format from the beginning. But, Sony could not make up its mind if it wanted to promote SACD as an audiophile niche format (like in the beginning when everything was two-channel), or as a mass market successor to the CD that would use the multichannel capabilities as the enticement for consumers (when they made a high quality $200 SACD changer, lowered prices, and put out word that new releases would soon all come out in the CD/SACD hybrid format). Ultimately, they tried it both ways and it just created confusion. And when consumers are confused, they keep their cash in their wallets.

For consumers under 30, don't count out the importance of multichannel just yet. They are just as enamored as anyone over what 5.1 audio adds to movie viewing. Multichannel audio systems have only become the standard over the past four years or so. The transition from two-channel to 5.1 started in earnest with the introduction of the DVD. As 5.1 went down the chain, you saw it become the standard in a variety of systems. Now, 5.1 has reached the mini-system, car audio, and computer level. With continued growth in multichannel hardware, I would guess that some demand for multichannel sources would grow along with it. DVD-A and SACD are still too new for final verdicts to come in just yet, and considering how badly the marketing of those formats has been handled, it's amazing that they've fared as well as they have in various markets. The CD format was over 10 years old by the time it finally passed cassettes in unit sales.

And as far as the LP goes, it was the prevailing format for over 30 years and even now has not gone away. The 8-track was a non-starter and went away by the late-70s. The cassette did not come to dominate sales until a few years after Sony introduced the Walkman in 1979.

Come on,when i say multi-channel audio,DVD-A and SACD,you know that. We all know the Sony story and the general consumer could care less about what we are talking about on here. So when the consumers like us have more then one format and might me confused,we get both. The electronic companys know that and milk this stuff and us along to get every dollar they can. I totally disagree about the under 30 being enamored as anyone about 5.1. I would bet most dont know what that means. Maybe they know it means better sound but to explain the 5 and the .1,not likly. LP had to be the format for 30 years. It was radio,reel to reel and LP's. Not much else to use. It had to win. Under 30 are far more into car audio,mp3 and ipod. I could take 100 under 30's,put on a VHS movie and maybe 5 would as about why no DVD,imo of course. I work around mostly under 30's,around 80 staff and i can talk about this stuff with 3 or 4 and thats it and they get bored real quick. Also when i go into the BB here,most are under 30 and almost never in the DVD-A/SACD section,never. Qusetion,take 1000 under 30's off the street and i'm betting,oh 20% might know about multi-channel audio and less,a lot less about Dual Disc. They just have a different look on this stuff, its not important.

Woochifer
04-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Come on,when i say multi-channel audio,DVD-A and SACD,you know that. We all know the Sony story and the general consumer could care less about what we are talking about on here. So when the consumers like us have more then one format and might me confused,we get both. The electronic companys know that and milk this stuff and us along to get every dollar they can. I totally disagree about the under 30 being enamored as anyone about 5.1. I would bet most dont know what that means. Maybe they know it means better sound but to explain the 5 and the .1,not likly. LP had to be the format for 30 years. It was radio,reel to reel and LP's. Not much else to use. It had to win. Under 30 are far more into car audio,mp3 and ipod. I could take 100 under 30's,put on a VHS movie and maybe 5 would as about why no DVD,imo of course. I work around mostly under 30's,around 80 staff and i can talk about this stuff with 3 or 4 and thats it and they get bored real quick. Also when i go into the BB here,most are under 30 and almost never in the DVD-A/SACD section,never. Qusetion,take 1000 under 30's off the street and i'm betting,oh 20% might know about multi-channel audio and less,a lot less about Dual Disc. They just have a different look on this stuff, its not important.

Why do you say that the consumer could care less about what we're discussing? The people on this board are the ones who are most likely to adopt these formats. The problem with how Sony launched SACD was that they sent mixed signals into the market, which is suicide when launching a new format.

If DVD-A or SACD were marketed properly, there would be no confusion, no format war, no divided camps among the record companies and hardware manufacturers, no unnecessary market resistance. The fact that there are so many barriers to adoption with those formats is exactly why you don't see people buying the discs. I've been waiting for an appropriate high res multichannel format since I made the jump to multichannel, but I still don't own a player because I can't pick one format over another, and the universal players have so many flaws to them that I would need to reconfigure my system to play it right. If there was one high res multichannel format from the get go and it could be fully integrated into the same digital connection as the DD and DTS audio, then I would be fully on board with high res multichannel by now. But, so long as there are so many issues and divisions in the market, I'm not going to climb on board. And that's the problem with DVD-A and SACD -- they jammed so many restrictions down consumers' throats with the copy protection and the format war that even quality-driven consumers who WANT high res multichannel are not adopting.

Multichannel is not exclusively a DVD-A/SACD thing, which is why a lot of us talk about DualDisc with mixed feelings. It's nice that multichannel music will likely gain a wider audience, but the DualDisc will very likely use Dolby Digital as the format for those multichannel mixes, which is a step backwards. DVD-A/SACD are high res multichannel formats, Dolby Digital is not.

Multichannel has already caught on, high res might not. No matter what resolution is used for the multichannel music soundtracks, that does not change the overall market movement to multichannel. The fastest growing segment in car audio is the in-dash DVD player with 5.1 audio. Mini-systems are quickly going multichannel. Computers went multichannel a long time ago. The majority of these listeners haven't even heard a multichannel music disc yet -- whether through a DTS music disc, DVD-A, SACD, or even the Dolby Digital soundtrack on a DVD-A disc. With DualDisc, more of them will get to hear multichannel music on their systems, because it will come with a regular album purchase. If that helps prod more people to consider buying an album rather than just downloading MP3s, then obviously DualDisc will have done its job.

As I said before, DualDisc is viewed as a replacement for the CD, not something that requires carving out a new section at the local BB. It doesn't matter if you don't see anybody in the DVD-A/SACD section, a person who wants the new Matchbox 20 album when it comes out WILL buy it in DualDisc. Why? Because that album will NOT be available as a regular CD. If this pattern becomes the norm for other new releases, then DualDiscs will make their way into your library whether you want them or not.

If you think people under 30 don't care about multichannel audio, try talking to a gamer sometime or go to a college student apartment where home theater setups have replaced the old school stereos with the big floorstanding speakers. Between the gaming consoles and PC games, the soundtracks are now largely in multichannel. The gaming PCs that you see from companies like Dell and Alienware are sold with 5.1 and 7.1 soundcards and speaker systems.

And the people that you refer to, why would any of them have even heard of DualDisc? As I keep saying, it's been out only about a couple of months and the big product launch hasn't even started yet. Even if they don't hear about DualDisc, they'll probably wind up buying them anyway if the new releases start standardizing around DualDisc.

shokhead
04-01-2005, 07:09 PM
General Consumer. I dont consider most of us on here as general consumer of A/V equipment. Thats for sure,better marketing would have made a world of difference. I just dont belive the under 30 sits in front of a A/V center thats set up right and watches a movie. More likly to throw it in a dvd player straight to a tv. In fact the 3 guys i work with,one has a 50" big screen and a VHS player and could care less about a DVD player. The other has well over a 1000 LP's and just got a DVD player but just a reciever,2 channel and a set of speakers. The other guy has a dvd player and a regular 25" tv. No music other then a boombox. My boss just got a $8000 big screen and has zero clue about DD,DTS,DVD-A or any of that stuff. Even the guys i grew up with that was into this as much as you could be in the mid 60's, i'm the only one with any real A/V setup. Most just have big screens. I think that except for the ones on this forum,this stuff is just very low on the list and would rather spend money on something else. If my wife knew what my stuff cost,she would sh$t. Now all the people i talked about have nicer stuff in there cars then there homes as far as music goes. I will say this. If more people sat in a real house and watched a good DVD on a nice mid level setup,i think they would be suprised at the sound.

Woochifer
04-01-2005, 08:35 PM
General Consumer. I dont consider most of us on here as general consumer of A/V equipment. Thats for sure,better marketing would have made a world of difference. I just dont belive the under 30 sits in front of a A/V center thats set up right and watches a movie. More likly to throw it in a dvd player straight to a tv. In fact the 3 guys i work with,one has a 50" big screen and a VHS player and could care less about a DVD player. The other has well over a 1000 LP's and just got a DVD player but just a reciever,2 channel and a set of speakers. The other guy has a dvd player and a regular 25" tv. No music other then a boombox. My boss just got a $8000 big screen and has zero clue about DD,DTS,DVD-A or any of that stuff. Even the guys i grew up with that was into this as much as you could be in the mid 60's, i'm the only one with any real A/V setup. Most just have big screens. I think that except for the ones on this forum,this stuff is just very low on the list and would rather spend money on something else. If my wife knew what my stuff cost,she would sh$t. Now all the people i talked about have nicer stuff in there cars then there homes as far as music goes. I will say this. If more people sat in a real house and watched a good DVD on a nice mid level setup,i think they would be suprised at the sound.

If you're going to talk about the "general consumer", the average household spends less than $100 a year on music, less than $200 a year on audio and video equipment. Irregardless of format, the "average" consumer does not spend a whole lot on AV to begin with. But with that said, even the bottom end of the market has gone multichannel. Somebody's buying all of these sub-$200 HTIB systems that you see at WalMart and the local drug store. They might even be clueless about the various formats, but pop in a DVD, hit play and more likely than not, it will play back in 5.1, even if the person has no idea what 5.1 is. All that they will notice is that the sound is all around them just like in their local movie theater.

Going around this board, some of the most confused people I've seen about the multichannel formats are people used to two-channel analog listening. Multichannel's a different animal, and for people who have not shopped for new audio gear since the mid-90s, the audio market has dramatically changed.

If anything, it's the 30 and under set who understand how all this technology works, generally picking it up quicker than the old school hi-fi hobbyists. Most of my friends in that age range live in apartments or homes with a home theater system of some kind. Some of them are the Bose or HTIB variety, but they want the big sound with their movie viewing. They or their roommates might not have set it up optimally, but they got the requisite speakers all around plus the subwoofer.

The gamers I know setup 5.1 systems because when they play first-person shooter games online, they want the floor to shake when something blows up and they want the sound coming at them from all around. Of course, that entails a system with a bigass subwoofer.

You're right in that a lot of people just watch stuff through the TV and don't spend much on their audio equipment. But, that's nothing new. The key difference now though is that even the cheapest stuff out there is now multichannel, and there is a growing awareness that those DVD soundtracks are capable of a lot more than what gets piped through the TV speakers.

Mr Peabody
04-01-2005, 08:57 PM
I realize I am the minority here but I have no interest in multichannel music. I thought the idea of an audio system was to reproduce as closely as possible the original performance of the music. I have yet to go to a show where they have a musician in each corner of the venue or a surround sound PA system. I also prefer to keep my computer and audio system separate. I would have enjoyed a portable music storage system like an I-pod but I don't know of any that connects directly with your stereo. I'd have to use my computer to rip & burn. So I guess I'm status quo until a higher quality stereo playback is available or like I think Q or Kex mentioned someone makes an album with MLP in mind from square one and it impresses me.

I think the industry is going to keep coming up with ways to get you to buy old albums over and over until some one (consumers) wises up. Look at how many versions of one album you can get, you can starte with the original CD, buy it re-mastered, then in SACD or DVD-A and now dual disc and I'm sure I missed a couple possibilities. The industry also needs to do some wising up as well because it is the copy guard protection/greed that is killing many audio and video new technologies before they get off the ground. Copy guard is the most stupid thing I have ever seen because it kills consumer electronics while those who are into computer can download DVD's before they are available for sale and can copy CD's all day long with no henderence. I did digress, just strike the copy guard stuff from the record and pay attention to my other nonsense.

kexodusc
04-02-2005, 05:11 AM
I understand what you're saying here, but there's an element of outdated reasoning behind your statement.

I realize I am the minority here but I have no interest in multichannel music. I thought the idea of an audio system was to reproduce as closely as possible the original performance of the music. I have yet to go to a show where they have a musician in each corner of the venue or a surround sound PA system

There are two problems with your assessment here:
First, maybe at one point in history the "traditional" layout of a live venue was always in front of a crowd, but I can assure you that many modern artists are being more creative with 3 dimensions. Not only that, haven't you ever been at a concert with a performer and a band or orchestra playing in support? Often they are separated by the most expensive seats in the house...that's where I'd love to be!!!
Second, more and more music is becoming increasingly artistic and doing more with 3 dimensions, and no longer is the objective to make the recording sound like the old fashioned "band-all-in-front-of-you" layout...Some of my favorite newer artistic/progressive rock recordings are written with a "surround sound" effect in mind...much new age, electronica, world music, etc is as well. My comments were more about how these new formats need a true "revolutionary" recording by an already recognized artist with selling power to give the mainstream reason to buy into the concept. Music has been progressing for centuries (with ups and downs admittedly), it's time to take another step. The point here isn't to sound like a band on the front stage, because these artists have found that music can sound even better once these limitations are removed. New media make this experience possible, and recreating it in live performance becomes much harder. The truth is, an aweful lot of music, even the traditional "band-in-front" layout just sounds better when polished in a studio than live music ever could. Media formats capture this.

Second, I have to question how many DVD-A's or SACD's you've actually heard? Many of mine don't place instruments at all in the corners or other positions of the room. Instead they use the surround channels for ambience and other cues. Many of these cues enhance multi-channel soundstaging, enhancing the detail and response of instruments in the virtual soundstage. What this does is creates an even wider soundstage with more accurate detail, far more life like than 2-channels could ever dream of being. Imaging is brought up to a new level as well. What's even better, the experience is more forgiving to listeners who aren't sitting in the "sweet-spot". The multi-channel concept isn't new, engineers and artists new back in the 70's that at least 3 speakers would go a long way towards creating a more realistic reproduction.

I get really disappointed when I hear the "instruments flying out of all corners" argument. It's basically judging the multi-channel experience by the minority of poorly remixed albums that were never meant to be delivered like that, or it's an objection to artistic style which not everyone will agree with 100% of the time anyway.

Give it time Mr. Peabody, don't judge multi-channel music by its worst.

I think the industry is going to keep coming up with ways to get you to buy old albums over and over until some one (consumers) wises up. Look at how many versions of one album you can get, you can starte with the original CD, buy it re-mastered, then in SACD or DVD-A and now dual disc and I'm sure I missed a couple possibilities.

Yeah, you are right about this, the industry does re-hash a lot of selections. But I have a different take on it. I consider myself a wise consumer...I'm not being dupped by the "big, bad industry". I've bought Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon 4 times now, LP, 2 CD's, and SACD remaster. Each time I bought this album, I conciously chose to part with my money for the intrinsic value of the good. And I'm so glad I did. I started with an old CD...then a CD Remaster, then the LP (just to see what it was like when released in the day) and then the SACD. The SACD makes one of my favorite albums that much more enjoyable. And this is a case where surround sound is used well. Yeah, they made a ton of money off me, but each time I bought this album, it was worth it to me because of the joy it provided.

The industry also needs to do some wising up as well because it is the copy guard protection/greed that is killing many audio and video new technologies before they get off the ground. Copy guard is the most stupid thing I have ever seen because it kills consumer electronics while those who are into computer can download DVD's before they are available for sale and can copy CD's all day long with no henderence. I did digress, just strike the copy guard stuff from the record and pay attention to my other nonsense.

Actually, this needs to be said more...I wish my universal player had a 1 cable does it all setup like HDMI or something instead of 7 f'n cables...I've got enough of a mess back there. What's more, I have a bunch of pirated music, but it hasn't decreased the amount of money I've spent on music. If anything, it's exposed me to new artists and increased that amount.
Wooch summed it up already, piracy isn't to be blamed for the Industry's woes, disposable incomes that have remained stagnant, and new products that have emerged to compete for your entertainment dollar are. Quit investing money into copy-protection, and start investing it into value added.

kexodusc
04-02-2005, 05:27 AM

Shockhead, you seem to think that for anything to survive, it has to be accepted by the majority of the population, the mainstream. I can assure you this is not the case. Ever hear of Rolex, Ferarri, Versace, etc...Most people I know don't own $10,000 speakers either, but this niche market exists and thrives. There's no reason why these companies can't continue to release DVD-A, SACD, and DualDisc to niche markets and make money doing it...I have no doubt they're profitting off of the SACD's and DVD-A's released to date...if they weren't, or weren't at least on pace with were they wanted to be, they would have given up already...they are being selective in which releases get the hi-rez treatment though, because let's face it, 13 year old girls probably aren't going to listen to Hilary Duff in 5.1 hi-rez, so no need to SACD that. But they haven't abandonned either format.

Thousands of products thrive in niche markets without ever crossing into the mainstream. There's no rule that says they have to. And if DVD-A and SACD never outright replace CD, I argue they don't have to in order to be successful.

Feanor
04-02-2005, 05:52 AM
The DVD (http://forums.audioreview.com/newreply.php#) standard states(and I believe that goes for DVD-A (http://forums.audioreview.com/newreply.php#) also) is that a DD soundtrack must be included on every DVD.
... DD for music? yeck!
What is the bit rate for DD? Is DD a compressed format? Do you always get a stereo version on DVDs? How about DualDiscs?

Perhaps it is the state of my ears, (I'm 60 and can hear anything over 10kHz). Perhaps it's the state of my system, (which you can check out if you like). Whatever it is, the real problem for me (with regards to stereo) is in the art of the recording, not the distribution media. That is, the best produced/engineered CDs sound good enough for me and as good -- in practical terms -- as the best SACDs, but very, very few meet that standard. So what about DD vs. CD? How bad is it really?

As for multi-channel, it will be a very long time until I get my M/C system up to the same standard as my stereo. Whatever the format, I want a stereo track that is at the same technical quality level as the M/C.

shokhead
04-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Shockhead, you seem to think that for anything to survive, it has to be accepted by the majority of the population, the mainstream. I can assure you this is not the case. Ever hear of Rolex, Ferarri, Versace, etc...Most people I know don't own $10,000 speakers either, but this niche market exists and thrives. There's no reason why these companies can't continue to release DVD-A, SACD, and DualDisc to niche markets and make money doing it...I have no doubt they're profitting off of the SACD's and DVD-A's released to date...if they weren't, or weren't at least on pace with were they wanted to be, they would have given up already...they are being selective in which releases get the hi-rez treatment though, because let's face it, 13 year old girls probably aren't going to listen to Hilary Duff in 5.1 hi-rez, so no need to SACD that. But they haven't abandonned either format.

Thousands of products thrive in niche markets without ever crossing into the mainstream. There's no rule that says they have to. And if DVD-A and SACD never outright replace CD, I argue they don't have to in order to be successful.

I never used the words accepted ot survive but if any of these formats are to,its up to us,not the general consumer. I really think your way off and even backeards on what the under 30 knows and uses. The under 30,married,both working full time and looking to upgrade other then A/V stuff,ie cars,housing,vacations. Also the under 30's are far more less of a home body type people. Also this stuff is so dirt cheap to make,and for what they charge for it,they only need a smaller niche to make a nice profit off of us. Oh,buy the time we are done talking about this,there should be another format out for us to buy. LOL

kexodusc
04-03-2005, 03:40 AM
I never used the words accepted ot survive but if any of these formats are to,its up to us,not the general consumer. I really think your way off and even backeards on what the under 30 knows and uses. The under 30,married,both working full time and looking to upgrade other then A/V stuff,ie cars,housing,vacations. Also the under 30's are far more less of a home body type people. Also this stuff is so dirt cheap to make,and for what they charge for it,they only need a smaller niche to make a nice profit off of us. Oh,buy the time we are done talking about this,there should be another format out for us to buy. LOL
I don't recall discussing the under 30 demograph with you at all, but I'll chime in because this is the most difficult concept I have with your statement.
I'm under 30, I have a brother under 30, a cousin under 30, and many friends under 30 - all of us very much "into" the latest and greatest a/v offerings. We've been into this stuff since high-school, the only thing that changes is my disposable income over time...which allows me to improve my system, not necessarily my demand for a better media format. I'd be willing to bet a large portion of the home theater/multi-channel audio market is under 30, and would very much appreciate the value added that DualDisc, SACD, DVD-A all provide. Problem is they've been marketed at a snail-like pace, and we haven't left the "early adopter" phase of the product's life cycle.
When I look at people in my office above 30, they're every bit as in love with Ipods and MP3's as the below 30 crowd...the difference - they have more money, family's, careers, mortgages, etc already established and have an easier time prioritizing a/v equipment and media.
I bet in their 20's they were more worried about student debt, getting a job, buying a car, making rent, etc...I don't see this changing. With Xbox and other video games teaching the younger crowds the benefits of 5.1, dobly digital, etc, I'd be willing to bet they'll be more in tune with this stuff when they reach 30 than the previous generation. As Wooch mentioned, car DVD players are exploding in that market...and they're not going into mini-vans and soccer mom's SUV, they're going into used Honda Civics, Cavaliers, Sentra's, etc...all the kids who beef up their ride's stereos. And they don't just buy all this stuff to have it...they want the media to go with it.

In home, I'm quite confident that most people under 30 or so have ALWAYS been lagging the over 30 crowd...for stereo, home theater or whatever...think about it...early in life, less disposable income, etc...this group could probably never justify prioritizing a/v stuff as highly as the over 30 crowd for the most part anyway. I don't think the record companies were oblivious to this.

kexodusc
04-03-2005, 04:05 AM
What is the bit rate for DD? Is DD a compressed format? Do you always get a stereo version on DVDs? How about DualDiscs?

Perhaps it is the state of my ears, (I'm 60 and can hear anything over 10kHz). Perhaps it's the state of my system, (which you can check out if you like). Whatever it is, the real problem for me (with regards to stereo) is in the art of the recording, not the distribution media. That is, the best produced/engineered CDs sound good enough for me and as good -- in practical terms -- as the best SACDs, but very, very few meet that standard. So what about DD vs. CD? How bad is it really?

As for multi-channel, it will be a very long time until I get my M/C system up to the same standard as my stereo. Whatever the format, I want a stereo track that is at the same technical quality level as the M/C.

I think Sir Terrence is more of an "anomoly" as a consumer...his career experience with the latest studio technologies puts him very much in the know. He's probably listened to more master tapes of the finest audio quality than most of the rest of us put together. So when mentions the downfalls of Dolby Digital, try to put into perspective that he's fine wine connoisseur commenting on the cheap stuff you and I buy.

Before I moved last year, the small a/v club in Bangor, I use to have coffee with, talk a/v with etc, did a lot of experimenting with DVD-A's, and Music DVD's vs CD's of the same recording. The general conclusion that we all agree upon was what Dolby Digital lacks in finer resolution, it quite often makes up for with multi-channel capability over Red Book CD. Long story short, I posted a thread here way back when about my results, and Sir T was kind enough to explain to me how DD and DTS can sound better than Red Book CD if done properly. I'm with Sir T all the way that if we had to move to one, DTS should be it...but DD alone would be small step forward if it got the world finally hooked on multi-channel audio, so I'm not going to complain about the bare minimum quality of the DualDisc format, though I will admit it's disappointing when artists use decide to release albums on a medium with so much potential , but resort to the oldest and poorest 5.1 format available.

Feanor
04-03-2005, 05:47 AM
I think Sir Terrence is more of an "anomoly" as a consumer...his career experience with the latest studio technologies puts him very much in the know....
The general conclusion that we all agree upon was what Dolby Digital lacks in finer resolution, it quite often makes up for with multi-channel capability over Red Book CD. Long story short, I posted a thread here way back when about my results, and Sir T was kind enough to explain to me how DD and DTS can sound better than Red Book CD if done properly. I'm with Sir T all the way that if we had to move to one, DTS should be it...but DD alone would be small step forward if it got the world finally hooked on multi-channel audio, so I'm not going to complain about the bare minimum quality of the DualDisc format....
I appreciate your comments and I'll see if I can find your thread.

Also, I do hope Sir T will chime in as well.

shokhead
04-03-2005, 07:35 AM
I think Sir Terrence is more of an "anomoly" as a consumer...his career experience with the latest studio technologies puts him very much in the know. He's probably listened to more master tapes of the finest audio quality than most of the rest of us put together. So when mentions the downfalls of Dolby Digital, try to put into perspective that he's fine wine connoisseur commenting on the cheap stuff you and I buy.

Before I moved last year, the small a/v club in Bangor, I use to have coffee with, talk a/v with etc, did a lot of experimenting with DVD-A's, and Music DVD's vs CD's of the same recording. The general conclusion that we all agree upon was what Dolby Digital lacks in finer resolution, it quite often makes up for with multi-channel capability over Red Book CD. Long story short, I posted a thread here way back when about my results, and Sir T was kind enough to explain to me how DD and DTS can sound better than Red Book CD if done properly. I'm with Sir T all the way that if we had to move to one, DTS should be it...but DD alone would be small step forward if it got the world finally hooked on multi-channel audio, so I'm not going to complain about the bare minimum quality of the DualDisc format, though I will admit it's disappointing when artists use decide to release albums on a medium with so much potential , but resort to the oldest and poorest 5.1 format available.

Oh,i'm a big DTS music disc guy,way love it but everytime i talk about it{maybe not on this forum},i get ragged on about multi-channel is far better and all the other stuff. Many more consumers would have a better chance to slap a DTS Disc into there HT and play it then a DAD-A or SACD. I think DTS Music Disc's sound great. One drawback, they wont play in most cars and cd players,most are'nt dts. Don Henley's The end of innocence is great. I belive some of the DVD-A disc's are DTS also,not sure about SACD.

04-03-2005, 12:15 PM

It is pretty difficult for me to look at DualDisc as a new format. What I see is two old formats slap together in a fashion that everyone can get into. The crowd that owns a CD player can play it, and if whether you have a DVD-A decoder built in or not, you can still play this disc on any 5.1 system. This is an attempt to push two different types of consumer together(the digital 2 channel crowd, and the 5.1 DVD-V crowd).

While Dolby has come out with DD+, what appears on DualDisc is their core technology, regular old Dolby Digital with its 14:1 compression rate, and 448kbps data rate. It is a VERY compressed format. With DD you can get anything from mono to 5.1. It takes much more than 448kbps to code transparently.

I fully understand your perspective. However, the distribution system has a profound effect on the art of recording. Think of it, why create a excellent master tape, only to find that the distibution system dropped, or coloured what you mixed. Let me give you an example. Let's take a recording with various acoustical instruments(as opposed to explosions and dialog), wide dynamic swings, and some soft instruments playing in the same frame as louder instruments. With redbook CD(as imperfect a format as it is) much of that performance, with the exception of the spatial representation will be perserved intact. With Dolby digital's profound reliance on perceptual encoding, some instruments(usually the softer ones) will get lost(or dropped altogether) from audibility. It is not a format that emphasizes fine or micro detail like SACD and DVD-A, and to a lesser degree full bit Dts. Redbook CD does much better at this than DD. DD throws away 90% of the information found in the analog or digital master. It also channel joins, dialog normalizes, and does bit sharing. All of these take a toll on sound quality. In place of all of this, it add three channels, and a dedicated LFE channel. So when comparing CD to DD, its a matter of trade offs. DD gives compressed multichannel sound, CD gives uncompressed front loaded sound.

I think Kex has really summed things up nicely. All of my opinions are based on my experience in the studio environment, which is a environment that 95% of the pubic will never experience. I have worked enough with DD, Dts, PCM(not enough of DSD yet) to recognize their strengths and weaknesses. I hear things from each format that very few people will hear. I know what a recording sounds like before being encoded with DD and Dts. Both DD and half bitrate Dts degrade the sound compared to the master. Full bit Dts's only audible losses is a bit of air around instruments, but everything else it there full force. There is a reason why there are over a hundred(or more) Dts music disc(notice I didn't say CD's), and none(or very few) with DD as the prominent format. Dts is better at resolving fine detail than DD is. That is just my opinion.

I think it is all about where your priorities are. I don't have seperate music and HT system. I made damn sure my system does both equally well. As far as a stereo mix having the same quality as a M/C mix, eh, that is a matter of perspective and taste. I will always choose a multichannel mix over a two channel mix unless the two channel mix is far superior in terms of sound quality. Two channel is a compromised to fit a format, and is not a optimized at all. Multichannel is the way we hear naturally, in 3 deminsions, not two. The idea that two channel is the holy grail of sound is rediculous from jump street. It is loaded full of spatial errors, and is a VERY narrow pipeline to shove alot of information through. Most of the time two channel requires alot of post processing to get to sound good. Multichannel requires far less.

Lastly, DD can sound pretty dang good with stuff that is non acoustical in nature. That means film soundtracks. Film soundtracks are made up of a bunch of limited frequency, limited dynamic range pieces fitted together in a way that presents a whole package with good fidelity and a wide dynamic range. Dialog is usually compressed, music's overall volume ebbs and flows with the picture, and keep in mind, the picture is a great distraction from the audio. When the mind processes audio alone, it pays careful attention to the detail of the sound. When a mind is processing video alone, you see seemingly everything. When the mind has to process both simultaneously, it averages both together not giving dominance over either. That is what makes lossey formats so effect with film soundtracks. Take away the picture, and compare the lossey sound against the printmaster and the degradation becomes pretty glaring.

04-03-2005, 02:40 PM
I realize I am the minority here but I have no interest in multichannel music. I thought the idea of an audio system was to reproduce as closely as possible the original performance of the music.

This is not to be taken as a negative confrontation. However when two channel advocates say these kinds of things, it freezes my blood cold. Two channels in reference to capturing the original performance is a complete and utter fallicy. With thousands of reflections of varying amplitudes coming from every direction at different times within 360 degrees around you, two channel is a failure. A concert hall performance is not strictly a front loaded affair like two channel is. In a live performance the audience is to the sides and behind you, not in back of the orchestra where two channel present it.

I have yet to go to a show where they have a musician in each corner of the venue or a surround sound PA system.

There is more than one way to approach music mixing these days. There is the straight forward live recording way , and the artistic studio recording(all studio recordings are artistic in different ways). Without the assistance of phase manipulation devices, it is somewhat impossible to do a artistic recording in stereo. With multichannel you can do many different types of recording. That is a step up from the old school approach. Keep this in mind, over the years all kinds of techniques have been develope to squeeze more spatiality out of the two channel medium. SDA introduced by Polk, crosstalk eliminating boxes, dynaco matrix, bipolar and dipolar speakers, and mono everywhere by Bose. All of this is totally not necessary with mutlichannel.

I also prefer to keep my computer and audio system separate. I would have enjoyed a portable music storage system like an I-pod but I don't know of any that connects directly with your stereo.

Your idea of music reproduction is a little schitzy for me. On one hand you want a purist mixing approach, but you would settle with listening to that on a lossey, bit starved format that alters timbre and phase. Can you explain this apparently divergent ideaology

I'd have to use my computer to rip & burn. So I guess I'm status quo until a higher quality stereo playback is available or like I think Q or Kex mentioned someone makes an album with MLP in mind from square one and it impresses me.

MLP is not a musical format, but a way of losslessly compressing audio to fit a narrow pipeline. You cannot record directly to MLP, and MLP cannot be directly accessed for music reproduction. You use MLP to squeeze several different bitstreams on to DVD.
There are quite a few albums already created with multichannel in mind. Alan Parson has created several on the Dts discs. Alot of albums created during the quad era are easily adapted to multichannel as they already have at least 4 discretely recorded channels. Many older classical recordings on the Mercury label where created with four discrete channels mixdown to two.

I think the industry is going to keep coming up with ways to get you to buy old albums over and over until some one (consumers) wises up. Look at how many versions of one album you can get, you can starte with the original CD, buy it re-mastered, then in SACD or DVD-A and now dual disc and I'm sure I missed a couple possibilities. The industry also needs to do some wising up as well because it is the copy guard protection/greed that is killing many audio and video new technologies before they get off the ground. Copy guard is the most stupid thing I have ever seen because it kills consumer electronics while those who are into computer can download DVD's before they are available for sale and can copy CD's all day long with no henderence. I did digress, just strike the copy guard stuff from the record and pay attention to my other nonsense.

I am going to say this. If each reissue did not improve the sonics over the last, then the public that is after quality won't buy it. If each sucessive reissue improves on the sonics of the last, then it will sell. Any record company marketing person knows this. The film industry is more guilty of this than the record companies. At least the record companies release their reissues on different platforms, the film industry does reissues on the same platform with usually the same quality paid to the film, and the only additions are added value material. I used to have three different copies of the same movie. A original release(not many extras), then a special edition(with tons of behind the scenes stuff but no better audio or video) and a superbit version that has no extras, but DD, Dts, and video with a higher bitrate attached. This is a go to hell sin as far as I am concerned.

You raise a great point with copy protection. Let's outline the formats that have gone under behind copy protection issues.

DCC-Because of the ability to copy between decks, no consumer software was produced by the record companies for fear that massive digital copying would cut into sales of existing CD's. It was the first digital lossy format introduced in 1992, and gone by 1996. Philips produced a few DCC recordings, but without the support of the other record companies, the format was doomed in four years. The fears of the industry were unfounded as data errors were introduced after the first copy, which made this format unsuitable for copy pirates to use.

DAT- Another high quality tape based format that could interface directly with a CD player to make copies. It was introduced in 1987 by Sony, and was immediately under fire by the record companies because it could reproduce perfect copies of CD. It was finally subjected to SCMS(serial copy management system) which allowed only one generational copy. All of the controversy, and this system finally killed the format amoung consumers, and prevented widespread use amoung professionals.

SACD and DVD-A-Both of these formats could have been widely popular to consumers. But copy protection issues prevented both from outputting data through a digital connect already in all recievers. This prevented the implementation of internal bass management and delay, both needed to optimized the format for proper reproduction. The manufacturers answer that equation by providing bass management from the player level. But it was inadequate for most setups, and Sony didn't even bother to release DSD based bass management and delay. That means to do delay and bass management, the signal has to be converted to PCM. This defeats any sonic advantage that SACD would have over DVD-A.

IMO, copy protection is the single biggest issue that has kept the average consumer from enjoying the benefits of high rez audio.

Quagmire
04-03-2005, 11:00 PM
It is pretty difficult for me to look at DualDisc as a new format. What I see is two old formats slap together in a fashion that everyone can get into. The crowd that owns a CD player can play it, and if whether you have a DVD-A decoder built in or not, you can still play this disc on any 5.1 system. This is an attempt to push two different types of consumer together(the digital 2 channel crowd, and the 5.1 DVD-V crowd).

While Dolby has come out with DD+, what appears on DualDisc is their core technology, regular old Dolby Digital with its 14:1 compression rate, and 448kbps data rate. It is a VERY compressed format. With DD you can get anything from mono to 5.1. It takes much more than 448kbps to code transparently.

I fully understand your perspective. However, the distribution system has a profound effect on the art of recording. Think of it, why create a excellent master tape, only to find that the distibution system dropped, or coloured what you mixed. Let me give you an example. Let's take a recording with various acoustical instruments(as opposed to explosions and dialog), wide dynamic swings, and some soft instruments playing in the same frame as louder instruments. With redbook CD(as imperfect a format as it is) much of that performance, with the exception of the spatial representation will be perserved intact. With Dolby digital's profound reliance on perceptual encoding, some instruments(usually the softer ones) will get lost(or dropped altogether) from audibility. It is not a format that emphasizes fine or micro detail like SACD and DVD-A, and to a lesser degree full bit Dts. Redbook CD does much better at this than DD. DD throws away 90% of the information found in the analog or digital master. It also channel joins, dialog normalizes, and does bit sharing. All of these take a toll on sound quality. In place of all of this, it add three channels, and a dedicated LFE channel. So when comparing CD to DD, its a matter of trade offs. DD gives compressed multichannel sound, CD gives uncompressed front loaded sound.

I think Kex has really summed things up nicely. All of my opinions are based on my experience in the studio environment, which is a environment that 95% of the pubic will never experience. I have worked enough with DD, Dts, PCM(not enough of DSD yet) to recognize their strengths and weaknesses. I hear things from each format that very few people will hear. I know what a recording sounds like before being encoded with DD and Dts. Both DD and half bitrate Dts degrade the sound compared to the master. Full bit Dts's only audible losses is a bit of air around instruments, but everything else it there full force. There is a reason why there are over a hundred(or more) Dts music disc(notice I didn't say CD's), and none(or very few) with DD as the prominent format. Dts is better at resolving fine detail than DD is. That is just my opinion.

I think it is all about where your priorities are. I don't have seperate music and HT system. I made damn sure my system does both equally well. As far as a stereo mix having the same quality as a M/C mix, eh, that is a matter of perspective and taste. I will always choose a multichannel mix over a two channel mix unless the two channel mix is far superior in terms of sound quality. Two channel is a compromised to fit a format, and is not a optimized at all. Multichannel is the way we hear naturally, in 3 deminsions, not two. The idea that two channel is the holy grail of sound is rediculous from jump street. It is loaded full of spatial errors, and is a VERY narrow pipeline to shove alot of information through. Most of the time two channel requires alot of post processing to get to sound good. Multichannel requires far less.

Lastly, DD can sound pretty dang good with stuff that is non acoustical in nature. That means film soundtracks. Film soundtracks are made up of a bunch of limited frequency, limited dynamic range pieces fitted together in a way that presents a whole package with good fidelity and a wide dynamic range. Dialog is usually compressed, music's overall volume ebbs and flows with the picture, and keep in mind, the picture is a great distraction from the audio. When the mind processes audio alone, it pays careful attention to the detail of the sound. When a mind is processing video alone, you see seemingly everything. When the mind has to process both simultaneously, it averages both together not giving dominance over either. That is what makes lossey formats so effect with film soundtracks. Take away the picture, and compare the lossey sound against the printmaster and the degradation becomes pretty glaring.
Sir TT,
In regards to some of the losses which would be experienced with DD music mixes; isn't Dolby Digital (AC3) somewhat related to Dolby's earlier work with "Noise Reduction". In other words, aren't the technologies related? Just curious.

Q

04-04-2005, 07:37 AM
Sir TT,
In regards to some of the losses which would be experienced with DD music mixes; isn't Dolby Digital (AC3) somewhat related to Dolby's earlier work with "Noise Reduction". In other words, aren't the technologies related? Just curious.

Q

Q,
The two are not related. AC3 is a codec originally intended as the audio delivery system for HDTV. It was used first on film in 1992. Dolby's noise reduction work goes back to the 70's

Feanor
04-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks very much, Sir T., for your explaination of the shortcomings of Dolby Digital. Clearly these shortcoming have been what I've been trying to overcome in my 30 years of listening.

Lest I left a different impression, I enthusiastically agree that multi-channels has a greater potential for realistic reporduction than stereo. But I have the following practical consideration that many people share I suspect.

First and most importantly, after decades my stereo system has finally got to the level of quality I have wanted. I'm not willing to give up any quality. So now to added at least three more high-quality speakers and amplifiers, (center and rears), is financially prohibitive.

Secondly, placing a pair of speakers in a given room can be a big challenge, never mind placing 5 speakers.

Thirdly, there isn't enough software to buy mainly multi-channel. Most of what I want to hear is available only on stereo CD.

Fourthly, it hard enough to find excellent stereo recordings. Given record producers and engineers typically fail to get really good 2-channel quality, how can we expect them to get really good M/C? My guess would be that it's hard to do the multi-channel than stereo. If the opposite were true, I'd be glad to know it!

04-05-2005, 12:33 PM
First and most importantly, after decades my stereo system has finally got to the level of quality I have wanted. I'm not willing to give up any quality. So now to added at least three more high-quality speakers and amplifiers, (center and rears), is financially prohibitive.

I personally think that having multichannel is worth the expense and effort. If you think stereo sound good, wait till you hear a good multichannel mix. Telarc, Nimbus, Delios and several other boutique record companies are turning out excellent stuff.

Secondly, placing a pair of speakers in a given room can be a big challenge, never mind placing 5 speakers.

People like you and I are setting up 5.1 system correctly everyday. While it takes more work to set them up correctly(you are adding three more speakers) it is not impossible to do if you spend a little time at it.

Thirdly, there isn't enough software to buy mainly multi-channel. Most of what I want to hear is available only on stereo CD.

If you are into jazz and classical like I am, there is plenty of stuff out there that makes going multichannel financially feasible.

Fourthly, it hard enough to find excellent stereo recordings. Given record producers and engineers typically fail to get really good 2-channel quality, how can we expect them to get really good M/C? My guess would be that it's hard to do the multi-channel than stereo. If the opposite were true, I'd be glad to know it!

I realize there are bad recording out there, but that is not the majority of recording produced. There are alot of catalog reissues being produced in multichannel, but if you are a fan of classical music, they are putting out some great sounding stuff right now.

You would be rather surprised to know that the engineer is not always at fault when a bad recording comes out. I know I did a really good mix one time, and when I got the first production run CD, it didn't even sound close to what I had mixed. I do not know what the problem was, but it was definately not in the mix.

shokhead
04-05-2005, 12:38 PM
I still havent found to much to buy from DTS and SACD's. Blues and Rock for me.

Mr Peabody
04-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Sir T, to clarify what I was saying, I would not use an I-pod type product for my home stereo. I was looking for something portable to use on my public transit trips each day. And I agree two channel is far from a perfect format for capturing a live show but I have yet to hear multi channel recordings being used to capture those reflections you are talking about. In addition I have read articles that criticize engineers for using those old Quad techniques and not moving forward to experiment or exercise the multi channel ability.

Kex, you mentioned products kept alive by the minority, what about mini disc? The I-pod may eventually kill it but Sony's mini disc has hung on for a lot of years.

I think for multi channel music to really take off it will have to follow the same path as 5.1 did when it was brought to movies. Maybe that's not such a good example because 5.1 was delivered with superior picture and all on a handy dandy disc. But everyone involved was on board with it and in sync. And you have to agree that new Dolby Digital or DTS movies sound much better than any remaster of a Pro Logic. Though Lucas came close. DVD came to market with the audio manufacturers offering the players and receivers that were made to connect to each other, although there are different surround formats they all play in the player, you just have to make sure the player decodes it, the player worked with your TV, the movie companies were pumping out movies in 5.1 like crazy, it was a cohesive penetration into the market. Nothing since has had that unity amongst the various industries or manufactures. I always try to keep an open mind but this is an era where I excercise more caution.

kexodusc
04-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Mr. Peabody: Good point about the Mini-disc...it never caught on in North America, but when I was in Europe about 5 years back EVERYONE seemed to have one of these things...I don't think it was a bust for sony at all...just not North America's thing, maybe.
What I did like about Mini-Disc was that Sony's proprietary encoding format was much better than MP3...much better! Or lossless if so desired!