What'll you be spinning at Easter dinner? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What'll you be spinning at Easter dinner?

ForeverAutumn
03-24-2005, 12:34 PM
So, what's everyone up to over the Easter weekend? We'll be having my in-laws and my mom over for dinner tomorrow night. Since the music will have to appeal to my mother-in-law and my own mom, it'll be light, easy listening stuff.

We've got a 5 CD changer and I usually just fill it up and put it on shuffle.

I'll have to narrow it down, but my short list includes...
Rik Emmett's Ten Invitations from the Mistress of Mr. E
The Romantic Guitar of Liona Boyd
Simply Red - Blue
John Mayer - Room for Squares
Diana Krall - Love Scenes
Rik Emmett - Good Faith
Jamie Cullem - Twenty Something
Frank Sinatra's Greatest Hits
The Essential Ella Fitzgerald

I'll have to wait and see what I'm in the mood for tomorrow. Who knows, maybe it'll be Trail of Dead, Queens of the Stoneage, Kyuss and The Mars Volta. That'll send the moms spinning!

Happy Easter everyone! I hope that the Easter Bunny (or the Esther Bunny as I like to call her :D ) is good to you.

nobody
03-24-2005, 12:43 PM
I'll be at my in-laws where my mother-in-law will likely be playing some godawful Kenny G or religious music.

DarrenH
03-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Oh, probably some Ozzy to help set the mood and afterwards some Opeth to help digestion.:p

We'll be a my father's house and they generally don't play any background music during dinner. In fact, aside from an occasional Neil Diamond or Barbra Streisand record, my father doesn't pay much attention to music and could really care less. My step-mother on the other hand loves disco (especially Donna Summer) and the current pop music scene. It pains my father to have to listen to that stuff. He's really old fashioned.

If there's an NCAA tourney game being played that'll most likely be on. I hope MSU beats Duke on Friday.

Happy Easter to all.

Darren

richmon
03-24-2005, 06:19 PM
And now for something completely different..

http://www.grayace.com/dex/bunny.html

Ex Lion Tamer
03-24-2005, 08:07 PM
A room full of loud Italians and lots of excellent food does not make for an atmosphere conduscive to listening to music, so it'll probably be a pretty tuneless weekend.

ForeverAutumn
03-24-2005, 08:37 PM
And now for something completely different..

http://www.grayace.com/dex/bunny.html

That was hilarious! Thanks richmon. :D

Dusty Chalk
03-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Don't make me wanna go hippety-hop.

(Ladykillers reference.)

Pat D
03-25-2005, 05:35 AM
That was hilarious! Thanks richmon. :D
Somebody sent that to my wife. I thought the Easter Bunny looks suspiciously like a donkey, myself!:)

shokhead
03-25-2005, 07:22 AM
I'll be spinning my Fuji Marseille. :eek:

Mr MidFi
03-25-2005, 12:33 PM
For some reason, I have an urge to listen to Janis Joplin. I have a "best of" someplace, but I never listen to it. I'll have to dig it out of the mothballs.

I'll almost certainly spin Vivaldi's Four Seasons...it's become something of an Easter tradition for me. And that Secret Machines disc (Now Here Is Nowhere) never seems to venture far from the player these days. And it's about time to play some Replacements, I'd say (Pleased to Meet Me??). And maybe some Sun Volt or Wilco.

Dave_G
03-25-2005, 12:45 PM
Well hells bells I have no idea what music, if any, I will hear or play this weekend.

Since my family-unit is wrecked now, I don't have "get togethers" anymore like I used to, unless I go visit my mom or sister.

We never listened to music anyhow when I did go to Easter dinners, unless it was at my place.

But maybe I'll get some hot babe to come over who likes music and drink and I'll play "Easter Theatre" by XTC and then some Thin Lizzy and then some Aerosmith and maybe some Arena and then watch a concert dvd.

Dave

Dusty Chalk
03-25-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm going to see Queens of the Stone Age Sunday night.

Pat D
03-26-2005, 08:10 AM
We'll be eating out so we won't have any music at dinner.

For the Easter Vigil Mass, I will be singing the Exsultet.

I have been listening to some Bach Cantatas.

-- "Christ lag in Todesbanden" BWV 4

--"Himmelfahrts-Oratorium" (Ascension), BWV 11

--"Oster-Oratorium" BWV 249

ForeverAutumn
03-27-2005, 07:34 AM
I'm going to see Queens of the Stone Age Sunday night.

Now that sounds like a fun way to spend Easter! They're playing here on Wednesday night but, unfortunately, I'll be out of town on business. I wouldn't have anyone to go with anyhow. My friends definately don't have the same taste in music that I do.

They were on Conan O-Brian a couple of nights ago. I just watched the tape this morning and the vocals sucked. I don't know if it was just mixed poorly or what. But I read a review of the new CD somewhere that also dumped all over the vocals.

Make sure that you post about the show. Let me know how it was.

shokhead
03-27-2005, 08:41 AM
Just got done spinning 15 miles on a Fuji Steel. :D

Dusty Chalk
03-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Make sure that you post about the show.Meh, I've been in a really foul mood all weekend, so it's kind of affected my enjoyment of pretty much everything.

That said, the vocals did not suck. But QOTSA aren't about the vocals, are they? They're about guitar tone and jamming, and perhaps some Beach Boys -type harmonies, and a bit of Josh's falsetto...actually, I take that back -- it's kind of refreshing to hear hard pop (pop metal?) sung with clean vocals for a change -- so little of that going around these days.

But Josh lost it in the middle of "Go With The Flow" -- if I were to play you a recording of the song, you would have said it was a fake, because he's talking between the lines. And it's quite contrary to the flow of the song. Some heckler must have been giving him crap about Nick, because he was saying things like, "I know Nick is gone, but I will f**k you up the a**. There is nothing I hate like anonymous p***ies." It was pretty amusing.

The rest of the show was pretty good -- pretty straightforward renditions of the songs, but Josh is experimenting with minimalism, because he jams a lot on silence. Which, again, is refreshing. There was a lot of going off on tangents in the middle of the song, and doing these space freakouts (inasmuch as that is possible by a "pop" band -- I went to Subarachnoid Space the prior night, and QOTSA don't hold a candle to SaS in terms of psychedelia and "space freakouts" -- SaS are much more superior in that realm [considering its their home realm, that sorta makes sense]).

Meh, it was free, I shouldn't complain...

NP: Richard Cheese -- finally something to cheer me up...I need to get me some Me First and the Gimme Gimmes.