Need help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help!

patmc102
03-24-2005, 11:43 AM
1 Denon AVR 2105 7.1 Surround Sound Receiver
1 Denon 5 Disc CD Changer
1 Polk Audio 6750 Speaker Package w/ Powered Sub Woofer 1 Pr. Polk Audio RTi 4 Bookshelf Speakers
1 Sonance Symphony S621SS Stereo Speaker (upstairs foyer area) 1 Pr. Sonance Symphony S623 In Wall Speakers
1 Niles SS-4 Speaker Selector
3 Russound Volume Controls
1 Harmony Family Remote
1 Home Theater Master MX350 w/ MRF250 Receiver
Installation

Would like opinions on the above system. I have a townhouse with two floors. I just want a "very good" system. I am not a "expert" :confused: so that is why I need opinions. Had a audio/video company come in and this is what they came up with. Any suggestions or comments will be welcomed. Thank you.

hermanv
04-04-2005, 11:07 AM
1 Denon AVR 2105 7.1 Surround Sound Receiver
1 Home Theater Master MX350 w/ MRF250 Receiver
Installation

Please clarify - There appear to be two receivers. If there are to be two listening areas it would seem remote switching systems and volume controls would be needed with one receiver, with two I wouldn't think you need as much complexity or did I mis-understand?

I just want a "very good" system. .

You must more acurately define "very good". The list you have is OK mass market equipment it is a long way in both quality and price from very good. Very good equipment can easily run tens of thousands. Obviously if you can afford that kind of expense some self education would be wise. I do not mean to imply anything, but there is a long spread between "I'm no expert" and "I know nothing".

N. Abstentia
04-04-2005, 12:09 PM
hermanv...the Home Theater Master part that you mentioned is a remote control, not a recevier.

patmc that should be a good system for you. It's by no means 'junk' and is certainly better than anything you can get at Best Buy or similar. You are obvioulsly not a fanatic or 'geek' when it comes to audio equipment (like most of us!) so you should be fine.

topspeed
04-04-2005, 12:56 PM
There are no "experts" in audio, only opinions. Give it a listen at your dealer's shop, compare it to some others, and decide for yourself if it's right. Your opinion is the only one that matters.

Woochifer
04-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Question that I have is whether a DVD player is part of this installation. I only see a CD player. Can't do surround sound unless you have a source that can output a DD or DTS signal to the receiver, a CD changer won't do that.

Another area that I would scrutinize more closely is the surround speaker package. Since those are not in-wall or preinstalled models, you have a lot of flexibility with the speakers that you go with, and how many of them you start with. Polks are decent for what offer, but the speakers are by far the most subjective part of your system, and you're the only one that can decide what type of sound best fits your preferences. In general, all-in-one speaker packages like that Polk package will not sound nearly as good as a set of bookshelf speakers that you piece together yourself. At $600 for a five piece speaker system with a powered sub, you're bound to find significant compromises with the audio quality. And I doubt that the bookshelf speakers that you're adding will blend in well with the others.

If budget is a concern, you might want to consider buying just the bookshelf speakers, plus the matching center and maybe an extra pair of matched bookshelf speakers for the surrounds. Forget about the back surrounds and the subwoofer for now. You can always add those later. Unless the speakers are getting installed into the wall, you don't need to buy the whole thing at once.

N. Abstentia
04-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Hey yeah I skipped right over the fact that there's no DVD player there. I just saw 'Denon 5 disc' and assumed it was a DVD player and kept going. Maybe he meant DVD and not CD?