I'm up-grading my main speakers and sub... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I'm up-grading my main speakers and sub...

Rude-e
03-24-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm up-grading my main speakers and sub, and wanted to get something that would match my center channel. This is what I currently have (keep in mind that I am on a budget and therefore this is a low buck set-up)
JBL S26II - Mains
JBL S Center II - Center
JBL N26 - Surrounds
JBL PB10 - Sub

I was going to get Floorstanding Mains in the same Studio series, but JBL discontinued them, all that is left in their line is the Northridge E90. Is this a downgrade from my current mains? Will this match my Center? I am planning on moving my S26's to surrounds.

As far as a sub - I need more bass - when i originally bought the speakers I had a smaller living rm. - now I have a 18' x 25' room. Will the JBL E250 w/ the 12" sub make a diffrence over my 10" sub?

Thanks,

IRG
03-24-2005, 12:14 PM
I'm up-grading my main speakers and sub, and wanted to get something that would match my center channel. This is what I currently have (keep in mind that I am on a budget and therefore this is a low buck set-up)
JBL S26II - Mains
JBL S Center II - Center
JBL N26 - Surrounds
JBL PB10 - Sub

I was going to get Floorstanding Mains in the same Studio series, but JBL discontinued them, all that is left in their line is the Northridge E90. Is this a downgrade from my current mains? Will this match my Center? I am planning on moving my S26's to surrounds.

As far as a sub - I need more bass - when i originally bought the speakers I had a smaller living rm. - now I have a 18' x 25' room. Will the JBL E250 w/ the 12" sub make a diffrence over my 10" sub?

Thanks,

I have the same sub, and have posted recommendations from others on what to buy. Your room is to big for this sub. You might want/need two subs. I have read pretty good reviews about the E250, and the price isn't bad. I have a feeling it is better for HT than music, which is why I don't have it on my list to consider. But otherwise it should be fine for you might want. Bestpriceaudiovideo.com seem to have the best prices on JBL stuff. And the Northridge E90 tower is not a downgrade at all to your S-26, the opposite in fact. Hard to really compare a large floorstander to a a smaller bookshelf. I would also check out the Athena Audition line. Look at the same website I mentioned, and think about getting either of the floorstanders. I have the Athena center speaker and it is a fine little speaker for not much money. You can buy the smaller bookshelf for $119 at BB. Or the slightly bigger one for $150 I think. These are better speakers than the JBL, and I have owned both now. If your JBLs are in good condition, you can sell them on eBay for more than you might think.

But if you are set on the JBL, then the E90s are an upgrade for HT, and the S-26 to the rears will be fine. I think your S center (I am selling one on eBay right now) will match OK with the E90, although there is a different center speaker now. Not sure how much the design changed from the S center. Chances are if your levels are matched, you won't notice much difference. Good luck to you!