Recent News -- Dream Theater [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent News -- Dream Theater

MasterCylinder
03-24-2005, 06:45 AM
Dream Theater's "OCTAVARIUM" out on June 7th, 2005!
Added on 03-12-2005

For Immediate Release:

Dream Theater have completed work on their 8th full length studio album entitled "OCTAVARIUM" which is tentatively set for release through Atlantic Records on June 7th, 2005.

The track listing is as follows:

The Root Of All Evil
The Answer Lies Within
These Walls
I Walk Beside You
Panic Attack
Never Enough
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

Dream Theater's 2005/2006 World Tour will kick off on June 10th in Sweden with a leg of European Festivals and select headlining shows which will then be followed by a North American leg throughout July/August as part of a "package" tour with several other bands TBA very soon.....

Dream Theater finished recording the new album!
Added on 02-26-2005

On Friday February 25th 2005, Dream Theater wrapped up recording on their latest album. Mixing will be begin on Monday February 28th and the record will be delivered to the label in Mid-March. A release is expected for sometime around May/June through Atlantic Records.

Dream Theater began writing and recording their latest album last November at the world famous Hit Factory studios in New York City. (everybody from Michael Jackson, John Lennon, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, Britney Spears, U2, Mariah Carey, REM, etc. etc. have all recorded at the legendary studio) As has been reported in the media several weeks ago, the famous recording studio is closing down upon the completion of Dream Theater's recording session.

This album will hold the distinction of being the VERY LAST album ever recorded at the Hit Factory in NYC. (the first was Stevie Wonder's "Songs In The Key Of Life") After the Dream Theater sessions ended on Friday night, the lights were turned off and doors were locked to the world famous studio - ending an era in the music industry....

ForeverAutumn
03-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Wow, that's fast! Train of Thought was only released on June 22/04.

Thanks for the update MC. I'm looking forward to it.

Finch Platte
03-24-2005, 09:28 AM
This album will hold the distinction of being the VERY LAST album ever recorded at the Hit Factory in NYC.

Or did they finish up and go home, only finding out the next day when Mike Portnoy realizes he had left his jacket behind, going to pick it up & finding the doors locked with a note saying Gone Fishin'?

If I were in a band in that situation- finding out a famous studio's about to close and you could be the last band to record, man, I'd pay a few extra bucks to have that honor. Think of the (free) publicity! Maybe that's why they hustled to get a new release out. My guess is it will be shallow and sloppy. :p

Thanks for the info.

fp

ForeverAutumn
03-24-2005, 11:22 AM
I hope that wasn't, like, Portnoy's favourite jacket. :(

kexodusc
03-24-2005, 11:37 AM
This is the best news I've had all week!!! AWESOME!!!

Uhhh....FA, pretty sure "Train of Thought" came out in November of 2003...might want to double check that...

ForeverAutumn
03-24-2005, 12:13 PM
This is the best news I've had all week!!! AWESOME!!!

Uhhh....FA, pretty sure "Train of Thought" came out in November of 2003...might want to double check that...

You're right. 2003. Originally, I just looked at what the release date on Amazon.ca was showing. I don't know why they're showing June '04. Doesn't really matter, I guess. I should have known better than to think that was a realiable source. Thanks for pointing that out Kex.

kexodusc
03-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Not that it matters...TOT was an awesome album and took them what...6 weeks to make? These guys ooze so much talent they could probably put decent stuff out every year...

DarrenH
03-24-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm listening to Train Of Thought now (first time in quite awhile) and this is very good. To be honest, I didn't like this at first. Sometimes it helps to just put it away and come back later.

Looking forward to the new release.

Also, James LaBrie has a new album releasing March 29th entitled Elements Of Persuasion. Looks very interesting. I've always like Labrie's solo work so I'll most likely pull the trigger on this one as well.

Darren

kexodusc
03-24-2005, 05:59 PM
DarrenH: I've been that way with Porcupine Tree's "Signify" and Symphony X's "Odyssey" albums....I know tastes change over time and all, but sometimes I wonder how much mood, environment, etc plays in evaluating music?

TOT feels much more like an EP than a the 70 minute album it is..."This Dying Soul", "Honor Thy Father", "Stream of Conciousness", and "In The Name of God" are some of DT's best tunes, the others are merely good...my only beef is it doesn't feel like a full length album...odd considering there doesn't seem to be as much noodling as some of their stuff.

But I'm really biased, these guys could probably throw an album of famous commercial jingles together and I'd love it...just imagine the 43 minute epic "bubbly, bubbly Eno"....

Dusty Chalk
03-24-2005, 08:45 PM
It's still extremely fast...or seems so. Train of Thought may have come out in November of 2003, but Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence came out in January of 2002. They put out studio albums at a rate of a little under one every two years. That's pretty impressive considering how much they tour (and how not idle they remain between albums).

MasterCylinder
03-25-2005, 06:33 AM
"My guess is it will be shallow and sloppy."

I'll give you odds on that, fp.

We all have an opnion but, the first 7 releases are far from shallow OR sloppy.