No Joy No Wow No Art [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : No Joy No Wow No Art

Davey
03-23-2005, 03:12 PM
Anybody want one of these? I started this comp a while back at the same time I was shaking those monkey bones, with some of that dark Joy Division sound in mind, and gave a copy to a friend, but since Ex Lion Tamer said he was interested as well, I decided to make a few changes and it came out a bit different than it went in. That is, I dropped the Joy Division and added a song I cobbled together from two songs on No Wow, and it never had No Art, so hence the title. Mark might not still be interested - but tough...it's already signed and sealed and soon to be delivered. I wound up duping a couple extra copies without any apparent reason since I didn't have anyone in mind, and so now I've got a couple copies lying on the table and gathering dust...and still don't have anyone in mind. Soooo....the next two people that dare to raise their hand and say without embarrasment, "Yes, I want a copy, Dave," can have them. And no pity hands! Possible bonus disk included if you have something in mind.....

No Joy No Wow No Art (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comps.htm#No_Joy_No_Wow_No_Art)

Davey
03-23-2005, 06:03 PM
http://members.mailaka.net/davey/snooze.jpg

-Jar-
03-23-2005, 07:13 PM
yes dood. looks yummy
:)

nobody
03-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Looks like I stopped by just in time. Have ya got my current address...I'm not in Michigan anymore.

Dusty Chalk
03-23-2005, 07:46 PM
I realize you recently sent me a package -- so if you want to save it for the next one, that's fine, but...

Yes, please.

I haven't forgotten about PJ, just been going through some trouble.

Ex Lion Tamer
03-24-2005, 04:49 AM
Thanks Davey, looks like another winner. Looking over your comp listing, I've missed out on quite a few of your recent efforts. It'll be good to get back in the game.

Davey
03-24-2005, 07:38 AM
Looks like I stopped by just in time. Have ya got my current address...I'm not in Michigan anymore.
Hit me with a PM cause I recently deleted most of the RR addresses since some of them were out of date and I don't have yours anymore. This one has definitely got some stuff on it you'll like if you haven't heard it all.

Davey
03-24-2005, 07:42 AM
I realize you recently sent me a package -- so if you want to save it for the next one, that's fine, but...

Yes, please.

I haven't forgotten about PJ, just been going through some trouble.
Yeah, I'll burn another but I might be out of discs so it might be a little while. Maybe not, though. I'll let you know when I send it. I hate trouble but it follows me around like a bad case of toe jam. More soap, that's my advice.

Just being silly. Good luck.

Davey
03-24-2005, 07:44 AM
yes dood. looks yummy
:)
Didn't I just send you some mystery disc? Hehehe, I'll try to send the right one this time, but what can you expect for free, eh? My expectations are never very high ;)

Davey
03-24-2005, 07:57 AM
It'll be good to get back in the game.
This ain't no game! This ain't no party! This ain't no disco! This ain't no fooling around! This is serious stuff, man! Hey, you probably haven't really missed all that much. I think my comps have been a bit on the spotty side lately, but I still like em all. They're my psychotherapy. My calm escape from the storm. My freak flag. My vain attempt to deflect some of the power and glory from real artists onto myself. This comp making sounds kind of pitiful when put that way, don't it? Maybe it's not such a healthy hobby :)

Only have the last three in my possession right now, but if you want em you can have em. Same comments I made to Dusty though, since I'm probably out of discs.

Davey
03-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Just to let you 4 know, I did have enough discs and the packages went out this morning. Had to amend the title to just No Joy No Wow because I wound up doing one of my quickie but dependable album collages for the cover art. The limited collector's edition. I already deleted the file. You'll thank me later because this is one comp you'll cherish and listen to time and time and time again.

Yeah, I know, sometimes I'm full of it. Relaxing with a Bass Ale right now and listening to some odd gospel music from my buddy Tricky Ricky. Hmmm, kinda nice but I'm not totally feeling it right now. Lots of Jesus and talk of salvation and all that, but they also do get down with kind of a Ry Cooder funk at times, so that's cool. Ollabelle. Like the Autolux debut album I've been livin' and lovin' for the last few months, this one is on Sony's DMZ affiliate and was produced by co-owner T-Bone Burnett. But you can't imagine two more different albums. I'm not disliking it by any stretch, don't get me wrong. It does have some good music and some nice vocals shared between a group of singers, including a bluesy but folksy sounding lady, but kinda drags at times, doncha thing Rick? Like on "Two Steps". Anyway, thanks! Starting to warm up to the Lori Carson collection too :)

newtrix1
04-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I know, sometimes I'm full of it. Relaxing with a Bass Ale right now and listening to some odd gospel music from my buddy Tricky Ricky. Hmmm, kinda nice but I'm not totally feeling it right now. Lots of Jesus and talk of salvation and all that, but they also do get down with kind of a Ry Cooder funk at times, so that's cool. Ollabelle. Like the Autolux debut album I've been livin' and lovin' for the last few months, this one is on Sony's DMZ affiliate and was produced by co-owner T-Bone Burnett. But you can't imagine two more different albums. I'm not disliking it by any stretch, don't get me wrong. It does have some good music and some nice vocals shared between a group of singers, including a bluesy but folksy sounding lady, but kinda drags at times, doncha thing Rick? Like on "Two Steps". Anyway, thanks! Starting to warm up to the Lori Carson collection too :)

Sorry Dave, I just stumbled across this post last night. Yeah, I agree with your assesment of Ollabelle: some good music and some nice vocals shared between a group of singersincluding a bluesy but folksy sounding lady, but kinda drags at times . Yep, surely has it's peaks-n-valleys, but I find that true of most releases. Can't remember the song name, but I think track 10 (& 8?) kind of stood out for me. I knew going in, that this album had gospel influences, but dang it's pretty much 100% worship music. On the bright side, I'm always looking out for music that my wife and I can both enjoy, and Ollabele fills that narrow niche nicely.

Glad Lori Carson is coming around, I really do like that album.

Davey
04-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Sorry Dave, I just stumbled across this post last night.....
My fault for sticking it where it don't belong. I tend to do that a lot. It's my rambling stream of conciousness bulletin board persona. Glad you found it and I apologize for not putting it in a more appropriate place ;)