paging Mike (& Davey too) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : paging Mike (& Davey too)

newtrix1
03-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Mike, below is the tracklist of that REM comp you made me eons ago. You also made similar comps for Jackson Browne & Dire Straits. Love the cover art with the mini snapshots of each album! Great music additions to have in my collection, thanks. Also, assuming Mr. Davey doesn't mind, I can send you a cdr of Sahara Blue by Hector Zazou that Dave kindly sent to me. I don't think it's something that I'll develop a taste for, and there's a couple of tracks where HZ collaborates with the Dead Can Dance folks, which may interest you. Let me know, and I'll send it over to you.

Davey, feel free to move the Lori Carson disc along to anyone else who you think might enjoy it.

REM comp:

1) Talk About the Passion
2) Laughing
3) Texarkana
4) Perfect Circle
5) Radio Song
6) Everybody Hurts
7) Suspicious
8) The One I Love
9) Near Wild Heaven
10) The Apologist
11) Bang and Blame
12) Man on the Moon
13) E-Bow the Letter
14) Shiny Happy People
15) Parakeet
16) Sidewinder Sleeps
17) How the West was Won
18) Lotus

Davey
03-23-2005, 10:12 AM
I've only just barely started listening to the Lori Carson so won't be passing on it anytime soon. It was just a bit different than I was expecting when I listened to it and so I wasn't in quite the right mood for it. But I'll definitely be spinning it more. Haven't had a chance to check out the other one yet.

As far as the Hector Zazou goes, by all means pass it on if you don't like it. Don't know how much Mike has heard but I have comped it pretty heavy. Are you sure your copy is Sahara Blue? Is that what it says when you put it in the computer? The only reason I ask is because of the mixup with Jar since he apparently got a copy of that I'm thinking your copy might be the newer one called Strong Currents which is much more subdued like you say. Sahara Blue actually starts off with a very upbeat dance track called "I'll Strangle You" and has many ups and downs along the way, including the very nice and atmospheric title track sung by Barbara Gogan. Is that the first song on your copy? I included the Lori Carson track on the Monkey Bones comp from his latest, so if that song isn't on the Hector Zazou copy I sent then it probably is Sahara Blue you have. But yeah, feel free, although Mike sounds like he's got way more music than he can really listen to already :)

newtrix1
03-23-2005, 08:20 PM
I've only just barely started listening to the Lori Carson so won't be passing on it anytime soon. It was just a bit different than I was expecting when I listened to it and so I wasn't in quite the right mood for it. But I'll definitely be spinning it more. Haven't had a chance to check out the other one yet.

As far as the Hector Zazou goes, by all means pass it on if you don't like it. Don't know how much Mike has heard but I have comped it pretty heavy. Are you sure your copy is Sahara Blue? Is that what it says when you put it in the computer? The only reason I ask is because of the mixup with Jar since he apparently got a copy of that I'm thinking your copy might be the newer one called Strong Currents which is much more subdued like you say. Sahara Blue actually starts off with a very upbeat dance track called "I'll Strangle You" and has many ups and downs along the way, including the very nice and atmospheric title track sung by Barbara Gogan. Is that the first song on your copy? I included the Lori Carson track on the Monkey Bones comp from his latest, so if that song isn't on the Hector Zazou copy I sent then it probably is Sahara Blue you have. But yeah, feel free, although Mike sounds like he's got way more music than he can really listen to already :)

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been rather busy at work and then my DSL connection at home has been acting up. I'm actually on a dial-up connection for the first time in a long time and it isn't too bad. Anyhow, my Sony carousel player has cd text and I remember that first upbeat "Strangle" track, had me thinking I was going to like Sahara Blue, but everything after it was so slow and non-ryhthmic. The chanting style vocals were a bit much for me too. I tried to get into a Dead Can Dance disc a few years back, but that too never caught on with me. Oh well, 'to each his own' as they say. Just so I don't leave you thinking we have nothing in common musically I'll let you know that I had Geraldine Fibbers "Somewhere Between Earth..." playing in the car today, and man that one hits all the right buttons with me! Also, I have The Twilight Singers and Dismembermant Plan to thank you for.

Regarding that Ollabelle album, I had only played it once before sending the copy out to you. Since then I've played it about 5-6 times and I like it, but I'm thinking you won't :rolleyes: so maybe you can find a good home for that one (if I'm right).

How did you like Lori Carsons voice? She just has that soft, seductive, feminine style that just pulls me right into her songs.

Mike
03-24-2005, 08:11 AM
Mike, below is the tracklist of that REM comp you made me eons ago. You also made similar comps for Jackson Browne & Dire Straits. Love the cover art with the mini snapshots of each album! Great music additions to have in my collection, thanks. Also, assuming Mr. Davey doesn't mind, I can send you a cdr of Sahara Blue by Hector Zazou that Dave kindly sent to me. I don't think it's something that I'll develop a taste for, and there's a couple of tracks where HZ collaborates with the Dead Can Dance folks, which may interest you. Let me know, and I'll send it over to you.

Hey Rick thanks for the offer on the Hector but I think Davey sent me a copy of it when he sent out his Monkey Bones thing, not sure what exactly the title was I'll need to have a look when I get home but I liked it.

Nice to hear you still play those old single artists/band comps I sent you, over the last few years I must have built up a collection of over a hundred of those ranging from Joan Armatrading and the Clash through to Yello and Stevie Wonder so if ever you want to sample a band or artist drop me a line I might have something.

Cheers
Mike

Davey
03-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Hey Rick thanks for the offer on the Hector but I think Davey sent me a copy of it when he sent out his Monkey Bones thing, not sure what exactly the title was I'll need to have a look when I get home but I liked it.
Not so sure about that....

Oh and Davey's recent comp and as a result Wayne Robbins has just jumped to the top of my wishlist with a great Neil Young sound. All in all a nice comp Davey I also liked the Harold Budd disc very soothing.
Hehehe, pretty bad when people make up excuses to avoid a FREE copy of a favorite of mine! Oh well, I may only be one lonely voice caught in the wind as it blows across a sea of tasteful tranquility, but I love ya Hector and think Sahara Blue is a modern classic!

One of my favorite moments on this wonderful album comes in the second song, John Cale softly speaking the words...Her clothes were almost off; outside, a curious tree beat a branch on the window, to see what it could see....over spare guitar accompaniment by David Sylvian and Kent Condon, clarinet basse by Renault Pion, harp and backing vocals by Elizabeth Valetti, and claviers by Hector Zazou. The entire album is based on poems by the 19th Century French symbolist Arthur Rimbaud and is one of the largest and most eclectic gatherings of talent for one recording as you are ever likely to find featuring such diverse artists as John Cale, Bill Laswell, Brendan Perry, Lisa Gerrarad, Barbara Gogan, David Sylvian, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Gerard Depardieu, Dominique Dalean and many others (over thirty in all) with lyrics sung in six different languages. Sometimes I try to use it as a background tapestry while doing something else, but it's such an enchanting musical adventure that it doesn't work very well in this role, instead beckoning me to read the lyrics and soak up the beauty of Rimbaud's poetry.

Hector Zazou: "It was once again Jacques Pasquier who had the idea of setting to music Rimbaud's poems: he had asked me to compose something for the 100th anniversary of Rimbaud's death, which was being celebrated at the Grande Halle of La Villette. It had to be a kind of ambient music for an event that lasted 24 hours. I suggested a collaborative work between Sakamoto, Sylvian, Laurie Anderson and myself. I can't remember exactly why Laurie Anderson didn't take part in the project. We went in the studio and came up with a work in progress, and Jacques wanted to finalize it on record. The other guests came later, gradually, as Jacques was able to find the money to pay them. There was no serious problem or misunderstanding with any of these people. Even with David Sylvian, who didn't want the songs he sang to be included in the final version of Sahara Blue (there is another version in which he sings on two tracks). He never explained his reasons for refusing, and this hurt me; but time has passed and we are in touch again now".

Now back to normal programming :)

Dusty Chalk
03-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Oh well, I may only be one lonely voice caught in the wind as it blows across a sea of tasteful tranquility, but I love ya Hector and think Sahara Blue is a modern classic!I been digging it.

As for your silliness in the other thread -- more soap is always a good idea.

Davey
03-25-2005, 10:00 AM
I been digging it.
Yeah, but as we've concluded in the past, you be digging almost everything that comes your way! You're just too damn much of a music lover. But I'm kind of like that too most of the time, unless I just wanna be difficult. Don't understand why some people that claim to be music lovers can hate so much music :confused:

Not that anyone here is like that, but you do see that a lot on other boards, which is one of the reasons I think most of us like this place so much. Reasoned debate without the senseless hate.

Dusty Chalk
03-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Yeah, but as we've concluded in the past, you be digging almost everything that comes your way!Yeah, well, there's that...

Unless, of course, you want to count Sparklehorse. Or the Weakerthans.

Just two, off the top of my head, that I never dug.

I just don't have that much to say about the things I don't dig.

Mike
04-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Not so sure about that....

Hehehe, pretty bad when people make up excuses to avoid a FREE copy of a favorite of mine!

Davey quite right I'm getting my Hector Zazou's mixed up with my Harold Budd's so I'd like to get my hands on that freebie Hector if it's still going, you still got my address? I'm still in York.

Cheers
Mike

newtrix1
04-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Davey quite right I'm getting my Hector Zazou's mixed up with my Harold Budd's so I'd like to get my hands on that freebie Hector if it's still going, you still got my address? I'm still in York.

Cheers
Mike

Yes, I'm pretty sure I have your address at home. If not, I'll contact you.