Recent Viewings.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent Viewings....

Worf101
03-23-2005, 08:16 AM
Been doing the HT thing lately. Can't remember the last time I went to a movie... sigh... kids!!!

1. "Harry and Kumar go to White Castle" - B Minus - Besides having the longest title in recent memory I kinda liked this adolescent tripe. It showed a nice piece of todays modern multi-cultural world and it threw in a few political points as well. Too much bathroom humor and certainly not on the DARE list of films to see, but it was funny. Since I spent much of my ill spent youth slobbering down those little square horsemeat burgers I had to see this film.

2. "The Mother" - A minus - A British film that chronicles the life of a woman after she loses her husband and tries to live with her kids. Wow, not a flattering picture of a modern English family life or the choices we make in life. A thought provoking and stunning film.

3. "The Exorcist - The Beginning" - C + - A lot of critics killed this film but I found it enjoyable and certainly better than the second film of the series. I has it's scary moments and the special effects were quite good. Plot holes big enough for a fleet of semi's but you could do a lot worse. Good popcorn munching fair.

4. "The Chronicles of Riddick" - C minus - This is what happens when you can't decide on one script for one movie at a time. Schizophrenic is too kind a word for this flick. Kinda slow, and very silly. So complicated a plot that the special features had a primer to explain what you just saw. If you want to see the action, you can't really... half the fight scenes are filmed in that "herky jerky" style where you can't really tell WTF is going on. Truly sad.. but there were some stunning visual effects in the film though and your speakers get a good work out as well..

Well that's all for now.. be good...

Da Worfster :cool:

dean_martin
03-23-2005, 09:00 AM
Been doing the HT thing lately. Can't remember the last time I went to a movie... sigh... kids!!!

1. "Harry and Kumar go to White Castle" - B Minus - Besides having the longest title in recent memory I kinda liked this adolescent tripe. It showed a nice piece of todays modern multi-cultural world and it threw in a few political points as well. Too much bathroom humor and certainly not on the DARE list of films to see, but it was funny. Since I spent much of my ill spent youth slobbering down those little square horsemeat burgers I had to see this film.

This is on my "to see" list. My brother swears that Kumar was in some of his acting classes at UCLA.

JSE
03-23-2005, 11:20 AM

Rented it and then went straight out and bought it. It's just one of those comedies that you need to have in a collection. Kindof like Old School, Animal House, Caddy Shack, 1941, Stripes, Blues Brothers, etc, etc. I really liked it and thought it was was very well done movie. Something not common with today's simplistic crappy comedies. Doogie was hillarious.

BTW, "Harold and Kumar go to Ansterdam" is coming out this summer, I think. They are going after their neighbor, Maria?

JSE

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-23-2005, 02:33 PM
4. "The Chronicles of Riddick" - C minus - This is what happens when you can't decide on one script for one movie at a time. Schizophrenic is too kind a word for this flick. Kinda slow, and very silly. So complicated a plot that the special features had a primer to explain what you just saw. If you want to see the action, you can't really... half the fight scenes are filmed in that "herky jerky" style where you can't really tell WTF is going on. Truly sad.. but there were some stunning visual effects in the film though and your speakers get a good work out as well..

When I first saw it, I like the visuals and the sound, but I just didn't get it. I have now seen it a couple of times, and understand it alot better. I'd give it a slightly higher B+ score myself.

The rest I have not seen or heard of.

Smokey
03-24-2005, 05:49 PM
The rest I have not seen or heard of.

I am with you. Where does Worf rent his movies from :D

Kam
03-25-2005, 09:27 AM
3. "The Exorcist - The Beginning" - C + - A lot of critics killed this film but I found it enjoyable and certainly better than the second film of the series. I has it's scary moments and the special effects were quite good. Plot holes big enough for a fleet of semi's but you could do a lot worse. Good popcorn munching fair.

i read that in europe, they are releasing the original version of this that paul schrader directed before renny harlin was brought in to finish it. the movie was plagued (ironically enough) by problems and was in development hell for a while (ben affleck was supposed to be the younger version of max von sydow from two, maybe three years ago, a friend of mine auditioned for a part when affleck was attached). while they've released the 'schrader version' in europe i dont think it'll be available over here (if nothing else because of DGA policies i believe, stopping another director from releasing the same movie as harlin's version, but dont quote me on that), would have to find a bootleg version from overseas to check it out. and supposedly the paul schrader version is much more cerebral than an all out thriller, and much more for a "european audience" whatever that is supposed to mean (in general i'd say "european" is more sex is A-ok and less violence rather than the reverse over here, where violence is A-ok but sex is disgusting), but i havent seen the renny harlin version yet, so.. can't comment either way.
just a lil fyi tidbit from the kamster.

peace
k2

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-25-2005, 01:44 PM

He must be getting them from all of the Galaxies he visits while on duty with on the Enterprise.

Smokey
03-25-2005, 06:50 PM
He must be getting them from all of the Galaxies he visits while on duty with on the Enterprise.

That also explain his taste in movies LMAO :p :D

eisforelectronic
03-26-2005, 03:59 AM

I don't understand. His choices seem pretty mainstream and readily available.

I really liked "Harold and Kumar" and I enjoyed "Riddick" much better than "Pitch Black". I actually rented "Exorcist" but took it back without watching it.

Worf101
03-26-2005, 09:39 AM
To Messers Bear and Turrible....

Pbbbbst!!!!!

Philistines.... I gets mah moovin pitchers from da local Blurkbuster... if you MUST know. Not from a shopping mall far far away or some specialty boutique video store. If you two would ever get past the candy and game aisles at the video store you'd find some interesting gems in dere...

Da Worfster :D