MMM: Beach Boys vs. REM [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : MMM: Beach Boys vs. REM

newtrix1
03-23-2005, 03:23 AM
semi final match #1: Beach Boys vs. REM

We'll try and move things along by posting 2 matches today and 2 more later this week.

Mike
03-23-2005, 06:05 AM
Whilst not a huge Beach Boys fan you can't deny their importance, though that's no reason for choosing them. But God Only Knows is in my top 5 tracks of all time I just never tire of listening to it.

Hey Rick I see you are still playing the REM comp I put together for you which must be one of the first comps I ever did. Funnily enough I never kept a copy at the time but I did myself another one later on though no doubt the tracklist is different.

shokhead
03-23-2005, 07:00 AM
REM does nothing for me.

DarrenH
03-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Let's see, not one Beach Boys cd in my collection, not even Pet Sounds. Sheesh, I should at least have that.

To be truthful, I never liked The Beach Boys all that much. Never connected with that surf music scene.

The REM cd's I have are all good ones (Document thru Automatic For The People), at least I think they are good and I'd like to explore more of their catalog.

I pick REM.

Darren

dean_martin
03-23-2005, 09:44 AM
To be truthful, I never liked The Beach Boys all that much. Never connected with that surf music scene.

Interesting comment. I have a decent collection of "surf" music, but there's not a single Beach Boys title in it. Although the Beach Boys have a distinctive sound, my idea of surf music is instrument-driven. Dick Dale and bands like the Ventures, Tornados, Chantays, and contemporary groups like Man or Astro Man, Galaxy Trio define the genre for me.

And then there are derivatives like these guys:

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=827&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

DarrenH
03-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Interesting comment. I have a decent collection of "surf" music, but there's not a single Beach Boys title in it. Although the Beach Boys have a distinctive sound, my idea of surf music is instrument-driven. Dick Dale and bands like the Ventures, Tornados, Chantays, and contemporary groups like Man or Astro Man, Galaxy Trio define the genre for me.

And then there are derivatives like these guys:

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=827&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

You're probably right but I always thought the Beach Boys were in that surf music genre. Whatever the classification may be, I just never liked them all that much.

The Ventures are cool.

dean_martin
03-23-2005, 04:05 PM
You're probably right but I always thought the Beach Boys were in that surf music genre. Whatever the classification may be, I just never liked them all that much.

The Ventures are cool.

I may have "defined" the genre too narrowly based on my own preferences. I think I'm in the minority in excluding them. I guess I would put the Beach Boys with groups like Jan&Dean as far as their "fun in the sun" stuff goes, but I never cared for that segment of surf music. I do like Pet Sounds, but I don't think that album is surf.

Mr MidFi
03-24-2005, 10:52 AM
REM. By a very, very wide margin.