Thoughts on Onkyo TX-SR502? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Onkyo TX-SR502?

Eric Z
03-22-2005, 07:43 PM
I am in the market for a receiver that is comparable to the Yamaha 5760/650. I came across a deal on the Onkyo TXSR502 for well under $200 and thought this will do the job for me. I know the Yamaha has some extra options here and there- I really like the YPAO, but I think this receiver might be able to do the job for me. I'm just looking to hook this up for another HT set-up.

After looking at some specs for the Onkyo (http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/txsr502.html), it seems closer to the Yamaha 550/5750.

If anyone has thoughts/opinions, please let me know.

Thanks.
Eric

ttskyline01
03-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Dude the Onkyo 502 is not in the same league as the Yamaha 650 and the 750 receivers. A better matchup is between the onkyo 502 and the Yamaha 450. They are in the both in the same price point and IMHO, you can't go wrong with either. Plus what type of speakers are you running or are going to buy? Also look at the Marantz SR-4500 for $349. This has a better amp than the yamaha and the onkyo, plus the ability to add a power amp with it's 7.1 channel pre-outs.

Worf101
03-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Is a decent, entry leved HT receiver. I personally would wait, save a little more and go with a Yammie with YPAO. I'm an Onkyo lover and own three of thier products but I recently set up a friends HT system with a Yammie 1500 and it was so slick as to leave a grease spot. However if budget is forcing you to go this way, you could do worse than the Onkyo 502.

Da Worfster :cool:

Eric Z
03-23-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the info, Worf! I know I can get the Yamaha 5760 for a decent price so I might pick that one up- I already have one and love it. The price the the Onkyo was $159 at Fry's; close-out type price- I almost couldn't pass it up. I'm thinking about getting the Onkyo to give as a gift to my brother and his family- needs a decent start to a HT set-up.

Thanks again.
Eric