soundcoat damping material [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : soundcoat damping material

wfontenot
03-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Has anyone used soundcoat damping material and if you have, where did you purchsae it?

A-Audiophile
03-27-2005, 04:13 PM
I just bought some for my preamp I will let you know once it arrives and I install. I do know however that damping any and all tube components is a must...back of front panel, circuit board, chassis and everything.

A-Audiophile
04-08-2005, 03:13 AM
I just bought some for my preamp I will let you know once it arrives and I install. I do know however that damping any and all tube components is a must...back of front panel, circuit board, chassis and everything.

Follow up after installing soundcoat....I used them on a Tubed pre-amp, I must say in responce to my previous post that there is such a thing as too much damping...I found that in my case using damping feet minimal damping on circuit board and using sound coat for the top cover and under where my transformer mounts to the chassis was enough. Sound coat really takes the ring out metal chassis parts...before sound coat a slight tap gave me a diiiiiiiiing, now a duNk....sound waves die out to nothing.

I used some extremely microphonic tubes as to know if any microphonic areas in my pre, a scratch with my finger nail on the outside of the pre used to be transmitted by the tubes into my system and could be heard via the speakers easy. Now nothing. So I would say it works pretty well.

wfontenot
04-09-2005, 09:38 AM
Where did you purchase the soundcoat material and which product of their line did you use?