Hey it's Tuesday, what you listening to? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey it's Tuesday, what you listening to?

Mike
03-22-2005, 04:15 AM
A few from me mainly from the UK indie pop scene

The Bravery, Bravery
Kaiser Chiefs, Employment
Bloc Party, Silent Alarm, still enjoying this one a lot
The Doves, Some Cities, starting to grow on me now
Pinback, Summer in Abbadon I must get a copy of Blue Screen Life somebody mentioned the other day I really enjoy their sounds
Arcade Fire, Funeral, a bit slow on the uptake with this one some people have been talking about it for ages now
Interpol, Antics
Embrace, Out of Nothing
Feeder, forgotten what it's called but it's good!
Athlete, Tourist
Micah P Hinson, Gospel of Progress, mellow acoustic stuff with some solid vocals which I think a few people round here would like

Comps
Rip You Another One, a fine comp by Finch
Ray Charles Collection
Clash - Collection

On another note took my son to see the latest animated film Robots, a big disappointment really, some clever ideas at times but just didn’t hang together for me.

Cheers
Mike

Swish
03-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Pinback, Summer in Abbadon I must get a copy of Blue Screen Life somebody mentioned the other day I really enjoy their sounds Cheers
Mike

Oh, you mean what am I listening to lately. In that case, I can name a bunch I suppose, but I think I really need to get Blue Screen Life too. Slosh is usually a decent barometer for me, even though he despises Interpol. S.I.A. still gets regular spins from me, so if B.S.L. is similar, I think I'll like it just fine. Deepdiscountcd.com doesn't have it listed, so I'll need to look elsewhere I suppose.

Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire - The Swimming Hour. Pulled this out after hearing his new "the Mysterious Production of Eggs" a few times. Still like this one better, but we'll see!

Wayne Robbins & the Hellsayers - The Lonesome Sea. I'm not as high on this as some of the others, but it's very good and growing on me.

Jann Arden - S/T. Just got this and I cant say I'm impressed after one listen

Okkervil River - Sleep and Wake-Up Songs. Nice EP. Really

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (remastered). This thing is two discs with all the originals plus ton of other tunes from various EPs on Disc 1, 24 tracks in all, then 25 unreleased tracks on Disc 2. A must for Pavement fans.

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Walt Mink - El Producto

Tonio K - Life in the Foodchain. I had to dig this out after someone mentioned it in a post a couple weeks ago.

Grandaddy - Sophtware Slump

Too many more to think about this early in the AM, so I'm calling it quits.

Swish

MasterCylinder
03-22-2005, 05:37 AM
The only modern music I have been listening to is a few prog comps from Demetrio.

Other than that, I recently bought a 10-CD box set of Rachmaninoff piano works.
It is simply awesome stuff..........a neoclassical lifetime with an ear for the continuation of the romantic works.

A cool Russian dude !

Duds
03-22-2005, 05:47 AM
the new Corrosion of Conformity (it rocks!!)
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Queens Of The Stone Age - Lullabies To Paralyze

-Jar-
03-22-2005, 06:37 AM
Botch - WE ARE THE ROMANS (damn scary stuff)

Meshuggah - NOTHING (damn knotty stuff, there's this kind of wood called Iron Wood. At least that's what my dad called it.. you'd whack your maul into it and it would just sink. You'd need like 4 wedges just to get stump-sized piece apart. The grain just twists on itself and really makes it difficult split, pretty soon you just get out the chain saw and slice it up like bread.. well, Meshuggah makes me think of Iron Wood)

Autolux - FUTURE PERFECT (the more I listen, the less obvious the Sonic Youthisms are becoming.. similar thing happened with ..Trail of the Dead.. it took me a while before I started to hear what THEY were doing as opposed to who they sounded like)

Rage Against the Machine - S/T (damn, ya know, this album rocks balls.. yea, the singer is still somewhat annoying, but the music is way more interesting that I ever noticed before, oh yea, and it rocks.)

Davey's SHAKE THEM MONKEY BONES - Daveys outdone himself here.. that string of songs from Mark Lanegan through The National is just awesome.. all these really depressed sounding dudes with kinda low voices. I swear that guy from the Tintersticks reminds me of someone.. I loved that song though, his voice and the music totally draw you in.. and The National.. I'm going to have to seek out some music by them. The Flaming Stars wasn't bad either..
I can definately hear the influence of Chris Goss on those MarK Lanegan Band tracks, they almost sound like bastard cousins of Masters of Reality's more recent work.

Lockgroove is cool, they almost sound like an alternate universe Folk Implosion.

The Mercury Rev track sounded nice, but they almost sound like a different band now. I know bands change, but there's almost nothing in common between what they're doing now vs. what they were doing 10 years ago. That's ok I guess, they can do what they want. It's just kind of weird. Anyhoo, thanks Davey via Newtrix..

-jar

Pat D
03-22-2005, 06:38 AM
Beethoven, Emperor Concerto (Piano Concerto No. 5). Vladimir Horowitz, piano; Fritz Reiner, RCA Symphony Orchestra (whoever that may have been). RCA LP VICS-1636(e). I think the (e) refers to the "Stereo Effect Reprocessed from Monophonic." The recording was perhaps done as late as 1956, I'm not sure. We had this recording at home and I have always liked it. The piano playing is quite stunning, of course, showing off both Horowitz's panache and humour with the virtuosic parts and his wonderfully lyricism in the slow parts--every note is interesting.

Beethoven, Symphonies Nos. 5 and 6 (Pastoral). Bela Drahos, Nicholas Esterhazy Sinfonia. Naxos 8.554061. This is borrowed from the library. The performance itself is quite good, as is the recording. The Orchestra seems relatively small and I do prefer more strings for a lighter balance. Nevertheless, a worthwhile recording.

John Charles Thomas, baritone, "An American Classic." Nimbus Prima Voce NI 7838. Born 1891, died 1960. Most of you probably never heard of him, but some of us consider him to have had one of the Great Voices of the 20th Century." He sang some at the Metropolitan Opera but seems mostly to have done recitals and he was often heard on the radio. He was a real performer, capable of great expression, wit and comedy, and of course, his diction was flawless. He could sing anything from the kid's songs to the tenderest ballad to the most stentorian dramatic songs.

Haydn, String Quartets, Op. 51, nos. 1-9 (The Seven Last Words of Jesus Christ); String Quartet, Op. 103. Kodaly Qt. Naxos 8.550346. This is also borrowed from the library--well, I gave it to them. It sounds excellent on my new speakers.

Haydn, Symphonies 6-8 ( Le Matin, Le Mid, Le Soir - Morning, Noon, and Evening). Nicholas Ward, Northern Chamber Orchestra. Naxos 8.550722.

Haydn, Symphonies Nos. 22 (The Philosopher), 29, and 60 (Il Distratto). Ward, NCO. Naxos 8.550724. As with everything Ward and the NCO do, this is superb.

Debussy, Quartet in g; Ravel, Quartet in F. Cleveland Qt. Telarc CD-80111.

Debussy, Ravel, Quartets. Quartetto Italiano. Philips420 894-2.

Berwald, Septet, on Naxos 8.553714.

Diana Krall, Live in Paris. This is probably the best recording of her voice, miked closely enough to hear the saliva in her throat. Oh yeah--the performances are excellent, too.

Intermezzo. Various composers and orchestras. Naxos 8.554703.

Listen, Learn and Grow, music to stimulate and inspire young minds, newborn through preschool. Naxos 8.554569C. Well, we like it, too.

shokhead
03-22-2005, 06:41 AM
Tried Diana Krall. Nice voice but her music is just to slllllllllllllllow for me. Makes me nap.

richmon
03-22-2005, 07:37 AM
Nice Beaver 'On dry land' -nice guitar work, a keeper
Putannmayo 'Best of Reggae' -spring is in the air, felt like some irie vibrations.
Djam Karet 'The Devouring' -had high hopes for this after being wowed by 'night for baku'- no sale, this one just doesn't connect, somethings missing.
Seven Reizh 'Strinkadenn Ys' -Celticy, Floydian, quality disc, great female vox, in Breton language.

kexodusc
03-22-2005, 07:41 AM
I like Diana Krall, but she seems to have a hit/miss pattern in releases...the new one's okay.

I've been spinning:
Tori Amos - The Beekeeper - I like just about everything by her including this one, but it seems that she's moved from a solo performer with back-up to playing as part of a band...a bit jazzier than previous releases, a nice change
Porcupine Tree - Signify....Coma Divine rules.
Mastodon - Leviathan - just picked this up on a whim...damn wicked metal - where have I been?
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral - listening in multi-channel is like hearing it for the first time.
B.B. King - Live at the Regal - The man, the legend...
Beethoven - 7th Symphony (Kleiber) - spent last week on the 5th, the 7th is often overlooked
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (SACD) - that time of year again?
Symphony X - The Odyssey - Iron Maiden on steroids
Opeth - Blackwater Park - Symphony X on steroids

That's about it.

Duds
03-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Those guys are great, you should see them live if you get a chance

Davey
03-22-2005, 08:06 AM
I can definately hear the influence of Chris Goss on those MarK Lanegan Band tracks, they almost sound like bastard cousins of Masters of Reality's more recent work.
Yeah, this is probably the best thing Lanegan has done. Very diverse, even though a lot of it does have that stoner rock foundation. I really like the Chris Goss production too, but I also really wish they would've used less compression and let it open up a little more like on those old Masters of Reality records. I don't really understand why some of these veterans go for the highly compressed sound. Makes it sound like crapola. Don't they remember how much better recordings used to sound? Nowadays if I hear something that is only moderately compressed (but still way more compressed than the old days) like that Black Mountain or the Hellsayers CD, I tend to think of it as almost an audiophile recording! :)

Anyway, thanks Tricky Ricky for correcting my mailing error and thanks for that package with Lori Carson and the other goodies, although I haven't taken much of a shine to the Lori Carson solo stuff yet. Much more laidback and less quirky than I was expecting.

DarrenH
03-22-2005, 08:49 AM
Every once in a while I get into a serious metal mood.

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, Masters Of Reality and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Metallica - And Justice For All and Master Of Puppets
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness and Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Opeth - Blackwater Park and Deliverance
Dead Soul Tribe - Dead Soul Tribe and The January Tree
Montrose - Montrose

On the lighter side:

AC/DC - Let There Be Rock, High Voltage and Powerage. Gotta love Bon Scott.
BOC - Tyranny and Mutation

Jim Clark
03-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Let loose of a couple of bucks and grabbed a couple of new titles, namely the Kaiser Chiefs and the new Bloc Party. Mike inadvertantly encouraged both choices and I'm happy with both. I think they're still new enough to me that I haven't formed a lasting impression yet other than they fit nicely on the shelf with Franz, Futureheads, Dogs Die in Hot Cars, Razorlight and on and on. Look forward to spending more time with both.

Busted out that Propaganda CDR, A Secret Wish. Love it.

And of course some bootleg recordings, some of which are outstanding:

Jimmy Buffett-a+ on the sound quality but features way too many of the new toons, which aren't really my thing.

Dick Dale- A SBD recording from 1997-very cool

Arcade Fire-BBC session short but very sweet.

American Music Club and the Trashcan Sinatras from a 2005 show. SQ is lacking but reasonably enjoyable.

Dead Can Dance

Devo-an 88 show with the spud boys performing techno versions of their songs-very kewl for fans

REM-an 84 show that is called the "Unreleased Live Album" very good quality-exceptional in fact.

Erasure- Another short little BBC gig

The Strokes from 2001

The Damned from 2001

The Stranglers- a 1980 FM broadcast show

The Doves

And a really cool DVD - New Order - And God Created Manchester DVD

DVB -> VHS -> DVD

This programme, originally broadcast in 1998, was recently shown again on BBC4, a UK digital channel.

Narrated by John Peel and part of the "Rock Family Tree" series, it charts the growth of Joy Division into New Order and examines their place within the Manchester music heirarchy. The story also includes The Buzzcocks, Happy Mondays and The Smiths amongst others.

All said it was a great week.

Troy
03-22-2005, 01:35 PM
New ones:

Got the first Mr. Bungle CD. Not even remotely interesting to me. Incoherant and infantile. I LOVED "California", but this one's junk.

But nowhare NEAR as in junky as the first Secret Chiefs 3 disc. What a waste of atoms. "Book of Horizons" is brilliant, this one's . . . not.

Got suckered into an interesting Japanese Import of XTC's Wasp Star- "Waspstrumentals". Simply instrumental mixes of the songs on that CD. Not remixed, just deleted vocal tracks. It was cheap, but I can see why. Still, a ton of interesting liner notes on the band's recording process, but I will be selling this one back to Amoeba shortly.

House of Loungecore- the Easy Project II. Score of the week!! Fantastic 60s and 70s big band TV and film scores from England. I loved the first disc, had it for years. Shocked and amused to find this second offering. Over the top kitsch, but it totally works. As the liner notes say "How far from bands like Portishead IS this, really?"

Stone
03-22-2005, 03:25 PM
Walt Mink - El Producto

Now we're talkin'. Definitely an underappreciated album.

For me, these come to mind:

Decemberists - Picaresque
These guys have the Midas touch. Another fine offering. Not a huge change of pace for them, but it's a damn good record.

High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings
The more I play this one, the more I like it. Sabbath-influenced, intense metal.

Masters of Power Pop Vol. 1 comp by our resident power pop guru. Great start to finish.

newtrix1
03-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Ollabelle- s/t
Joy Division - Permanent
Genesis - Duke
Hector Zazou - Sahara Blue
Lou Reed - Rock & Roll Animal
Billie Holiday - Sings Standards
Lori Carson - The Finest Thing
Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I

comps:
Fun with K
REM comp (remember this one Mike?) :)

RGA
03-22-2005, 04:23 PM
CD unless indicated:

Sarah McLachlan "Mirrorball - Live"
Sarah McLachlan "Surfacing" (LP)
Sarah Mclachlan "Fumbling Towards Ecstacy" (LP)
Dido "Life for Rent"
Tina Turner "Live (LP)
David Sanborn "backstreet" (LP)
Norah Jones "Come Away with Me" (LP)
The Outfield "Play Deep" (LP)
Beethoven: The Nine Symphonies - Josef Krips (LP) (exerps)
George Gershwin "Porgy and Bess" (Robert Farnon) (LP)
Ravel "Bolero" Daniel Barenboim (LP)
Mozart : Magic Flute (Karajan) (LP)
Jackson Brown "Lawyers in Love" (LP)
Jewel "Pieces of You" (LP)
KD Lang "Hymns of the 49th Parallel"
Acoustic Alchemy "Back on the Case"
Dave Brubeck "Take Five" (LP)
Loreena McKennit "Parallel Dreams"
The Beautiful South "Welcome to..." (LP)
The Beautiful South "Carry on up the Charts"

Woochifer
03-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Currently shuffled up on my playlist:

Kruder & Dorfmeister - The K&D Sessions
Marquez Wyatt - For Those Who Like To Get Down
Wertico - StereoNucleosis
The Amalgamation of Soundz - Part II
Saint Germain - En Laye Cafe
Llorca - The New Comer
Pat Metheny Group - The Way Up
Donald Byrd - Black Byrd
Alice In Chains - Dirt

JDaniel
03-22-2005, 05:07 PM
Here's what my mostly spent brain can remember:

Eva Cassidy - Imagine
Eva Cassidy - American Tune
Eva Cassidy - Songbird
Sonny Landreth - Grant Street
Kathleen Edwards - Back to Me
Neva Dinova - The Hate Yourself Change
Red House Painters - Retrospective
Blue Merle - Burning in the Sun
Mike's "Up All Night - Best of 2004 so far...)
Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway

JD

Dave_G
03-22-2005, 06:26 PM
Well let me think.

Psychedelic Furs - World Outside

Shadowland - Mad as a Hatter

Galahad - Following Ghosts

Asia - Komp. Comped their 1st three albums, cut the crap out.

Genesis - Wind & Wuthering

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Street Survivors

Deep Purple - Banannas

Uriah Heep - Firefly

Arena - Peppers Ghost

Ines - Hunting the Fox

Joe Jackson - Look Sharp!

Peace -

Dave

tugmcmartin
03-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Been working my arse off lately. My wife pointed out that today is one year to the day that my bosses at my last job canned me. We're going out to celebrate a year away from that ****ehole and the movings on to a better job and life.

On a musical note, also been putting all my CD's on my new computer and will soon buy a media reciever so i can retire my CD player. Finally got a highspeed internet connection so hopefully will be frequenting this place more than the four times in the past 12 months. Since i've been loading my CD's onto the computer, i've been spinning pretty much everything i own lately. A couple of my favorite new listens though:

Ray LaMontagne - Trouble
Jamie Collum - Twentysomething

Both of these are fantastic albums with serious jazz influences. Collum does a really sweet cover of Hendrix's "Wind Cries Mary".

Haven't had time or energy to purchase much lately. Hopefully that will change here in the near future.

Good to see everyone still posting.

Tug

Dusty Chalk
03-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Been on a Flash and the Pan kick -- Flash and the Pan, Lights in the Night, the under-rated Headlines and the even-the-filler-is-killer-filler Early Morning Wake Up Call.

Killing Joke -- Jaz Coleman quite possibly has the greatest rock'n'roll voice ever. And this album is more full of hooks than Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf...which is saying a lot.

Lots of Zazou -- totally digging this.

Lhasa -- she continues to be fantastic.

Tori Amos, The Beekeeper -- continues to be one of my favourites by her.

But nowhare NEAR as in junky as the first Secret Chiefs 3 disc. What a waste of atoms. "Book of Horizons" is brilliant, this one's . . . not.Really? I can't really tell the difference between all four...much. I mean, that scene on First Grand Constitution and Bylaws where they sound like they're pretty much recording everything that's going on the studio (...fire! Fire!...huh...) is pretty...amateur, but...it's fun! The rest of it -- I think -- is on par with everything else they've done.

I'm curious what you'll think of Second... and Book M.

Also recommended: Tub Ring -- Drake Equation was produced by Trey Spruance. They're sort of in that whole Zappa/Mr. Bungle/schizophrenic school.
Wertico - StereoNucleosisPlease tell me more about this -- I wrote it down while in the store as one to investigate, but couldn't listen to it.

BradH
03-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Boots....

Jethro Tull - Live In L.A. Great 1980 FM show from the A tour in Anaheim, better than King Biscuit's St. Louis that year. There's a 2-disc version out there, gimme time, I'll get it.

Bruford - Chicago 1979. No Holdsworth, soundboard, had to speed/pitch correct this down 5% and re-track it etc. etc.

Bruford - London, May 5 1980. My best sounding Bruford boot by far. Obviously the BBC. Guess what? Jeff Berlin can actually sing! Never realized before that he was doing a Jack Bruce imitiation.

CSNY - Back In The Day. Sacramento 2000. FM 3-disc'er from the Rush guys at Digital Reproductions. Stills' voice is shot (still a great, underrated guitarist), Nash is rough, Neil sounds like Neil, Crosby is a freaking powerhouse.

Missing Persons - Us Festival 1983. Taken from mono video that was probably pirated from the pro-tape. Mono but great sound, possibly remastered at some point. Amazing band. This is the full show, not the few songs shown on eneMaTV.

The Police - Dallas, March 9, 1979. This is 4 days after the KSAN deal at Berkeley, supposedly another FM but I don't know who would've done it here back then. Sounds better than KSAN. Early Police, hot as ever.

Ramones - The 914 Sessions (1975) 5 songs, vinyl rip, studio quality. A classic

The Who - From Lifehouse to Leeds. New York Lifehouse sessions that morphed into Who's Next. Leslie West on additional guitar on Won't Get Fooled Again. Some Leeds is on here but I can't remember why at the moment.

Brian Wilson - Smile. Somebody took a vinyl version of the Nonesuch 2004 release and had it professionally mastered to CDR at a studio in N. Carolina. Bonus tracks are the same as the single Jay sold on E-Bay. He didn't open it but now we know the track from the London premiere was professionally recorded. So, my guess is that every B. Wilson show is professionally recorded.

Yes - Wembley 1978: The 25th Anniversary Edition. Far and away the best sounding version of this BBC classic. My cover for this will go up on Dog Biscuit's site next month and become the "official" unofficial cover. (Strange. Troy's making music and I'm making covers.)

Yes - Complete Endless Dream Ver. 2.0. No really, that's the title. Long story, short. Two Concertsonics recordings from the same show in Canandaigua, NY were combined to make the best boot from the Talk tour. A little static interference hear and there but most of it was coming from my amp which subsequently blew its left channel. Good riddance.

That was fun. I might do this every week.

Mike
03-23-2005, 01:27 AM
Let loose of a couple of bucks and grabbed a couple of new titles, namely the Kaiser Chiefs and the new Bloc Party. Mike inadvertantly encouraged both choices and I'm happy with both. I think they're still new enough to me that I haven't formed a lasting impression yet other than they fit nicely on the shelf with Franz, Futureheads, Dogs Die in Hot Cars, Razorlight and on and on. Look forward to spending more time with both.

Glad you like them Jim I would say both are right up your street, that Bloc Party is my current fave at the moment they have a great driving rhythm section. Another one you might like with a similar 80's retro sound is The Bravery.

Cheers
Mike

ForeverAutumn
03-23-2005, 07:12 AM
JD

Is this her new one? Is it any good? I have Failer and think that it's a pretty decent CD. I haven't heard anything about her new one yet.

My listens this week...

The Zutons - Who Killed...The Zutons - I'm still enjoying this one. Although, I will take back my intial comments about giving American Idiot a run for it's money now that the initial "wow" factor has worn off. It's still a great disk though and has been haunting me with plenty of earworms this week.

Franz Ferdinand - Yep, it's a keeper. :)

The Shins - Oh, Inverted World - I'm not liking this as much as Chutes Too Narrow. But, to be fair, I haven't spend that much time with it yet.

Queens of the Stoneage - R - After one spin, I would say that it sounds a lot cleaner than Songs For The Deaf. I'll need to give this a few more spins but my initial impression is that it's a little boring. I'll get back to you on this one.

Bowie - Station to Station
Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and those glorious Spiders From Mars

The Tea Party - Seven Circles - possibly my favourite Tea Party disk.

I'm sure that there's more, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I really need to start writing this stuff down throughout the week. :(

JDaniel
03-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Is this her new one? Is it any good? I have Failer and think that it's a pretty decent CD. I haven't heard anything about her new one yet.

FA,

Yes this is her new one. IMHO, it leaves Failer in the dust. This album is much better. More rootsy, bordering on alt country at times. I'd say Roots/Americana, except she's Canoodian isn't she? ;)

I'd recommend it, or I could send you a preview.

JD

Troy
03-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Boots....

Jethro Tull - Live In L.A. (Strange. Troy's making music and I'm making covers.)

I'm making covers too . . .

http://www.designshed.com/toonage/YouOnlyLiveTwice.mp3

Pat D
03-23-2005, 11:39 AM
I like Diana Krall, but she seems to have a hit/miss pattern in releases...the new one's okay.

I've been spinning:
Tori Amos - The Beekeeper - I like just about everything by her including this one, but it seems that she's moved from a solo performer with back-up to playing as part of a band...a bit jazzier than previous releases, a nice change
Porcupine Tree - Signify....Coma Divine rules.
Mastodon - Leviathan - just picked this up on a whim...damn wicked metal - where have I been?
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral - listening in multi-channel is like hearing it for the first time.
B.B. King - Live at the Regal - The man, the legend...
Beethoven - 7th Symphony (Kleiber) - spent last week on the 5th, the 7th is often overlooked
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (SACD) - that time of year again?
Symphony X - The Odyssey - Iron Maiden on steroids
Opeth - Blackwater Park - Symphony X on steroids

That's about it.
Not everyone has to like DK. Skokhead finds her slow, but I think she's just my speed.

When I'm in the mood for a dramatic Beethoven symphony, I go for the Eroica (no. 3) or the 7th much more than for the 5th, usually Leibowitz on a Chesky reissue. The Seventh really is an extraordinary work. The Kleiber recordings sounds better on our new speakers than it did on the old ones and the performances really are very fine. I keep thinking of getting Kleiber's recording of Brahms 4th Symphony because everyone seems to like it, but I am so satisfied with the old Reiner reissue on Chesky that I haven't so far.

But I really listen to Beethoven's Pastorale Symphony (no. 6) most often--I guess that goes with liking DK, eh!

Woochifer
03-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Wertico - StereoNucleosis

Please tell me more about this -- I wrote it down while in the store as one to investigate, but couldn't listen to it.

It's an adventurous album, not exactly jazz, or instrumental rock, or "world music" either. For lack of a better term, it's a "fusion" of all of the above. Among the albums that I own, it reminds me of stuff from Ronald Shannon Jackson and the Decoding Society, and some of the mercurial Bill Laswell's group projects like Last Exit and Material, though it's more restrained and less "free jazz" influenced than those projects. Some of it also has a bit of the folk influence that you often see with Pat Metheny's work, which makes sense since Paul Wertico spent 18 years as the PMG's drummer. Sprinkle in a bit of Larry Coryell, John McLaughlin, and John Scofield for good measure.

Some of the songs are stripped down duo and trio arrangements, while others are sonically dense with a lot of overdubbing. As expected, the percussion gets highlighted quite a bit, but it's not just a drummer pounding away, a lot of the songs feature a huge variety of percussion sounds that I rarely hear. Given how jazz has split has largely split into traditional and smooth camps, neither of which advance the art particularly well, albums that defy these easy categories are a very welcome sight IMO.

MindGoneHaywire
03-23-2005, 12:16 PM
My rave of the week is Sweet Apple Pie & their album Between The Lines. I don't think anyone's mentioned them here? I could see DBI liking this a lot. Kinda Beatle-y, Big Star sort of thing, but my first impression was that it's more sorta Matthew Sweet without guitar players like Quine/Lloyd/Julian & therefore more poppy. Very melodic, way better than most stuff I hear in this vein (blows Les Sans Culotte away). This one's a keeper, definitely.

Checked out some Keren Ann. The albums are Nolita & Not Going Anywhere. The last one I'd spun last year & was a bit indifferent as I was checking out the Eleni Mandell album & liked that better on first listen. Now I'm not so sure. Very good. And I have the new Marianne Faithfull album but haven't checked it out yet, really, but P.J. Harvey & Nick Cave were involved in it so I'm eager to get to it. As well as the Rhino best-of on Marshall Crenshaw.

Didn't actually sell that 45 yet, Brad...haven't gotten to it. But...soon. Along with that my agenda includes a package for you & something for Troy the progboy as well. As soon as I can get to it.

Good to see Tug back! That's a good rec, isn't it, that Ray LaMontagne? Keep an eye out for a guy named Amos Lee, that might be up yr alley, also. Welcome back.

BradH
03-23-2005, 02:45 PM

Oh, I like that a lot. You've got a musician's ear to hear all the different parts.

Can you do Freebird?

Dusty Chalk
03-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Can you do Freebird?(Pictures BradH at a concert, holding a lighter in the air.) "Free Bird!"

tugmcmartin
03-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Here's what my mostly spent brain can remember:

Eva Cassidy - Imagine
Eva Cassidy - American Tune
Eva Cassidy - Songbird
Sonny Landreth - Grant Street
Neva Dinova - The Hate Yourself Change
Red House Painters - Retrospective
Blue Merle - Burning in the Sun
Mike's "Up All Night - Best of 2004 so far...)
Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway

JD
Hey JD...

How's that Blue Merle??? They've been getting some airplay out here, can't remember the name of the song (maybe the title track?) and i really like it. Sounds like something i'd really be in to. Worth checking out? Them and Low Millions are two i've been meaning to check out.

T-

ForeverAutumn
03-24-2005, 07:21 AM
I'd recommend it, or I could send you a preview.

JD

Thanks for the offer JD, but I'll buy this one eventually. :)

Mike
03-24-2005, 07:35 AM

Hey Troy that's so cheesey and loungey but so good you should do more, John Barry would be proud of you. It reminds me of those albums you could buy in supermarkets where it would say 'not featuring the original artists' Love that drum sound.

Cheers
Mike

Gav_2000
03-24-2005, 07:53 AM
Been on a Flash and the Pan kick -- Flash and the Pan, Lights in the Night, the under-rated Headlines and the even-the-filler-is-killer-filler Early Morning Wake Up Call.

Wow, Flash & the Pan, I haven't heard of them since 1983 when Waiting for a Train was in the UK singles charts. I somehow have it on 7" and 12" singles but I've never heard anything else by them. Are they still around, what is their stuff like (I only know 1 song!), what would be a good first purchase I wanted to hear more.

Oh yeah, I've been listening to;

Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever

Yo La Tengo - Summer Sun

Sparklehorse - It's a Wonderful Life

Yes, apart from Ted it's been a very laid back week as I've been ill and my head hasn't been up to hearing much.

Swish
03-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Been working my arse off lately. My wife pointed out that today is one year to the day that my bosses at my last job canned me. We're going out to celebrate a year away from that ****ehole and the movings on to a better job and life.

On a musical note, also been putting all my CD's on my new computer and will soon buy a media reciever so i can retire my CD player. Finally got a highspeed internet connection so hopefully will be frequenting this place more than the four times in the past 12 months. Since i've been loading my CD's onto the computer, i've been spinning pretty much everything i own lately. A couple of my favorite new listens though:

Ray LaMontagne - Trouble
Jamie Collum - Twentysomething

Both of these are fantastic albums with serious jazz influences. Collum does a really sweet cover of Hendrix's "Wind Cries Mary".

Haven't had time or energy to purchase much lately. Hopefully that will change here in the near future.

Good to see everyone still posting.

Tug

I had all but forgotten about you until I saw this post. I guess I'm so busy and wrapped up in my own life (daughter got married last October, son's Army Reserve unit got activated and he's now in Baghdad) that I just didn't do a whole lot on the board for the last 6 months or so, much less remember who's posting or not. I remember that mess you went thru last year, so it's good to know you landed on your feet. I really like that Lamantagne record, even though Davey thinks it's a POS ;). Never heard of that Collum dude, but perhaps I need to check it out. Listen dude, I have tons of newer stuff, so if you're in need of any promotional/previews etc, etc, and so on and so forth, just give me a holler. You can PM me, although I think you still have my e-mail addy, don't you?

Regards,
Swish Baby

Ex Lion Tamer
03-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Yeah, this is probably the best thing Lanegan has done. Very diverse, even though a lot of it does have that stoner rock foundation. I really like the Chris Goss production too, but I also really wish they would've used less compression and let it open up a little more like on those old Masters of Reality records. I don't really understand why some of these veterans go for the highly compressed sound. Makes it sound like crapola. Don't they remember how much better recordings used to sound?

I agree with you on the compression, but you gatta admire the crystal clear midrange that make the vocals from Lanegan and others sound wonderfully vivid and present. I can almost reach out and touch he and P.J during both their duets.

Dusty Chalk
03-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Wow, Flash & the Pan, I haven't heard of them since 1983 when Waiting for a Train was in the UK singles charts. I somehow have it on 7" and 12" singles but I've never heard anything else by them. Are they still around, what is their stuff like (I only know 1 song!), what would be a good first purchase I wanted to hear more.Well, I love all four of those albums. "Waiting for a Train" is from Headlines, I believe, which is the weakest of those four, but still good. I would start with any of those four, but I have Flash and the Pan/Lights in the Night in a two-pack, so I'd recommend getting that. Lights in the Night is a favourite. It starts with the chanty "Media Man", with some nice sarcastic lyrics. Follows is the Eastern-influenced "Headhunter", then the edgy "Restless". Side one winds up with the epic "Welcome to the Universe", which alone is worth the price of entry. "Make Your Own Cross" is a nice rip on people with martyr syndrome, and "Lights in the Night" is one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard -- not to listen to if you're suicidal. Winds up with "Captain Beware" and "Atlantis Calling", both typically good catchy power-poppy tunes.

From the first album, you may know "Hey St. Peter" (...Before you ring your bell...Just been down in New York town...Done my time in hell...). It's another classic, with the wonderfully dark "California", the ambientish "Walking in the Rain" (kind of a predecessor to the superior "Lights in the Night"), and a bunch of great hooky pop tunes.

They did an album or two after Early Morning Wake Up Call, but I kind of lost track of them after that. I have at least one of them, and it's not as good as those four. I think they've since retired.

EDIT: Hey, I went a-googling, and didn't find anything about those singles -- I'd be curious to know what was on the B-side (though I suspect it's from the album, as I have the 12" of something of theirs, and that's what I remember about that. I think it was "Midnight Man"...

Davey
03-25-2005, 07:53 AM
I agree with you on the compression, but you gatta admire the crystal clear midrange that make the vocals from Lanegan and others sound wonderfully vivid and present. I can almost reach out and touch he and P.J during both their duets.
I assume you must have the LP because I don't remember Polly or Mark in the room with me. If so, glad to hear they didn't screw it up as much as the CD, but vinyl almost always sounds better on vocals and it's not entirely because it's inherently better. I've always believed that the constant noise on even the best pressings does bring the music into the room better than any of the digital formats. Just listen to the sound between tracks on a record and the room still sounds kind of alive as opposed to a CD where it's the same as turning it off. And I think SACD benefits some from the added high freq noise because it sure sounds a lot less alive when you increase the filtering.

But they definitely do master many of the CDs hotter than they do the vinyl release, and that means more compression and clipping. I tossed in a copy of my last Monkey Bones comp so you'll be able to hear what the CD sounds like too, although I did reduce the level a bit so it's not exactly what's on the CD. But probably close enough to notice there's no "crystal clear midrange". Hmmm, then again, maybe I haven't listened closely enough lately on my halfway decent system in the bedroom.

But regardless of the sound q, great album!

Slosh
03-25-2005, 08:32 AM
Snip, Snip . . . . but I think I really need to get Blue Screen Life too. Slosh is usually a decent barometer for me, even though he despises Interpol. S.I.A. still gets regular spins from me, so if B.S.L. is similar, I think I'll like it just fine.

It's different enough from Summer to keep things interesting but not enough to sound like a completely different band or anything. Blue Screen Life is a bit more jangly, with even more of an early Police influence. It took me a little longer to fully appreciate but well worth the effort (effort? :confused: ). Both albums are equally good but different.

NP: The Decemberists - Picaresque

Davey
03-27-2005, 01:49 PM
A few from me mainly from the UK indie pop scene

The Bravery, Bravery
Hey Mike, what is that Bravery like? I noticed it's getting one of those big Snow Patrol-like pushes over here. They've got it featured for $6.99 at the big box stores. Probably be a big seller at that giveaway price.

Andrew Bird's Bowl of Fire - The Swimming Hour. Pulled this out after hearing his new "the Mysterious Production of Eggs" a few times. Still like this one better, but we'll see!

Wayne Robbins & the Hellsayers - The Lonesome Sea. I'm not as high on this as some of the others, but it's very good and growing on me.

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (remastered). This thing is two discs with all the originals plus ton of other tunes from various EPs on Disc 1, 24 tracks in all, then 25 unreleased tracks on Disc 2. A must for Pavement fans.

Yeah, I think The Swimming Hour will always outshine the new one because it just has so much more diversity and charm, though it's hard to deny the new one has much more focus. Guess I also fall toward the messy side, if given the choice.

Don't you just love some of those quirky stories on the Hellsayers disc? I mean, Sarah's Lament is a riot, with the insects having their babies inside of you, and they're building their cities between your toes, and vacationing in your nose, and all the rest. Fun stuff. That one's a bit too heavy on the bells, but still a great song. I wonder if Cole has a link to the lyrics? Can't find them anywhere.

So, Crooked Rain was a pretty nice sounding CD to begn with. Did they crank the volume way up for the remaster or just add extra tracks? I know they added a lot of compression to S&E to get the volume up.

mad rhetorik
03-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Meshuggah - NOTHING (damn knotty stuff, there's this kind of wood called Iron Wood. At least that's what my dad called it.. you'd whack your maul into it and it would just sink. You'd need like 4 wedges just to get stump-sized piece apart. The grain just twists on itself and really makes it difficult split, pretty soon you just get out the chain saw and slice it up like bread.. well, Meshuggah makes me think of Iron Wood)

-jar

Heh, clever description, and I definitely concur. Hope you haven't taken a chainsaw to your copy yet, though. ; P

Anyway, some crap (term applied extremely loosely) spinning over the past week or two:

Flaming Lips: <b>Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots</b>
Minutemen: <b>Double Nickels On The Dime</b>
Joy Division: <b>Substance</b>
Ac/Dc: <b>Powerage</b>
Mr. Bungle: <b>California</b>
Sepultura: <b>Chaos A.D.</b>
Fear Factory: <b>Obsolete</b>
Pantera: <b>Vulgar Display Of Power</b>

BTW, I'm going to be on obner.org now too, if I can get my friggin' username + password to work.

Gav_2000
03-29-2005, 02:42 AM
EDIT: Hey, I went a-googling, and didn't find anything about those singles -- I'd be curious to know what was on the B-side (though I suspect it's from the album, as I have the 12" of something of theirs, and that's what I remember about that. I think it was "Midnight Man"...

The UK 7" single had an instrumental version of Waiting for a Train on the B side. The 12" single also had an extended version of the song as well. Both came in black generic sleeves with no photo or information.

I bought the 12" version at the time and found the 7" version in a batch of singles that I bought of ebay.

I had the 7" in my jukebox for a while but have just noticed that I've swapped it out since seeing your post. I don't play singles normally as there's too much getting up and down to change them so I'll look out for some of their CD's.

audiobill
03-29-2005, 08:15 AM
This past week has been relatively "light":

Giant Sand -- Chore of Enchantment

Loretta Lynn -- Van Lear Rose

Massive Attack -- Mezannine

Bob Marley vs Funkstar De Luxe Remix (includes atb remixes)

Elton John Rare Masters (3-disc set)

Great week in movies: Million Dollar Baby, Sideways, The Incredibles, Polar Express, and Being Julia

Spring is here.............means only two things for me: Mountain Biking and Roadster top-down weather............ wooooo hooooo!!

Cheers,
Bill

Olivertmc
03-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

The Decemberists - Picaresque

Pedro the Lion - Achilles Heel

Bob Dylan - Bootleg Vol. 5 (The Rolling Thunder Revue)

The Postal Service - Give Up

Yo-Yo Ma - Obrigado Brazil (SACD)

Willie Hightower

The Beatles - Let it Be . . . Naked

The Jayhawks - Smile

Josh Rouse - 1972

DarrenH
03-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Went on a superb Marillion listening spree:

Fish period:
Script For A Jesters Tear
Fugazi
Misplaced Childhood

H Period:
Seasons End
Brave
Afraid Of Sunlight

It was a tough call but me likes the H period the best. I ordered Anoraknophobia, Marbles and marillion.com the other day.

Motorhead - Ace Of Spades. Good ol' fashioned no frills heavy metal. Great stuff. I'll be needing more of this please.

Dream Theater - Two officially licensed bootlegs from Ytsejam Records:

Images And Words Demos - DT was looking for a new lead singer at this time and this cd includes the demo tapes from the various hopefuls. Pretty cool. Of course, we all know who gets the job.

The Number Of The Beast. Yup, the classic Iron Maiden album performed by DT in it's entirety. Once again, pretty cool.

Los Lobos - Live At The Fillmore. A most excellent live show. Los Lobos fans should run to the store for this one.

There was other things but I'm drawing a blank right now. I'll update later if I can remember.

Bob Marley and the Wailers - Rastaman Vibration and Burnin'. Weather is starting to get nice.

-Jar-
03-29-2005, 09:55 AM
The Number Of The Beast. Yup, the classic Iron Maiden album performed by DT in it's entirety. Once again, pretty cool.

You know, I'd be real curious to hear this.. considering that I probably know NUMBER OF THE BEAST better than almost any album in existence. It seems there is a glut of bands doing Iron Maiden covers, and I don't think I've heard more than a few songs here and there. I guess what it does is really solidify Iron Maiden's status as being one of the most influential metal bands in history.

-jar

Davey
03-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Mostly a bunch of shambolic (love that word ;)) shoegazer pop stuff with big drums (but not big hair) by bands like Lockgroove and Voyager One and Autolux and Pinback and .... also <s>spent</s> wasted way more time than I shoulda with my latest comp, which I obviously really like. Even made a little cover for it that you can see here (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/nojoynowow.jpg) but it's nothing that special. Still kinda silly to make a cover for less than a handful of copies, but that's what goofballs like us do, right? I mean, you guys would do it too, right?

Hey, speaking of my silly comps, does anyone have a copy of my old Twilight comp they'd be willing to send me? I'll trade you for something. I made a new cover to give it to someone but then realized I don't have a copy. Please? Hehehe, no big deal. If you do, I'm at the Sunnyvale addy. New cover here (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/twilight.jpg).

Also spun some other stuff that I already mentioned during the week, mostly things recently sent to me by some of you great people. Mike's latest comp and a couple from newtrix an Sloshy's last one and a coupla others. Thanks all.

And some Pinback Blue Screen Life and some new Decemberists. Also listened to some of the new album by The National called Alligator over at their label site at http://www.beggars.com/features/thenational/ but was a bit disappointed in it. It does include All The Wine from the EP (sounds like a slightly different mix) and a couple other good ones, but overall kind of lackluster. The single (Abel) is pretty cool, though. Real upbeat sounding with lots frenetic drumming and a real celebratory chorus that turns to near yelling toward the end, kind of like Springsteen when he was born to run. Not sure yet whether I'll buy it when it's released since I still don't have Sad Songs.

Woochifer
03-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Currently shuffled up on my playlist ...

Saint Germain-des-Pres-Cafe Volume 5
Kevin Yost - Abstract Funk Theory
Ronald Shannon Jackson - What Spirit Say
Freddie Hubbard - Goin' Up
Frankie Knuckles - Welcome To The Real World
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Blue Note Revisited
Jazzanova - ...Mixing
Hi-Fidelity House Imprint 4

BradH
03-29-2005, 03:28 PM
Hey, speaking of my silly comps, does anyone have a copy of my old Twilight comp they'd be willing to send me?

Yeah, I've still got that but I don't have the Sunnyvale addy.

bdkhncck (at) flash.net

Davey
03-29-2005, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I've still got that but I don't have the Sunnyvale addy.

bdkhncck (at) flash.net
Hey, that's very kind of you Brad. Long time, no talk. Some nice looking covers you've been occasionally posting for your boots. Very cool work. I'll email you my address and try to think of something I can send back your way to make ya smile and dance :)

Hey, speaking of covers, did anyone notice that the Yo La Tengo collection I posted about a few days ago pays tribute to the Beatles second album, which has also been modified for use on some of the Beatles boots as well? Hehehe, missed that when I first saw it although I knew it looked very familiar.....

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg100/g181/g18111ly719.jpghttp://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg700/g705/g70528rouct.jpg

Dusty Chalk
03-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Bunch of Rachel's.

New Third Eye Foundation and Matt Elliott.

Davey's comp -- very nice, BTW. Not a single skipper in the bunch, although you stole my choice from that Nick Cave disk, now I have to come up with another one. Love that Woven Hand, is it all like that (BHP/Calexico-ish)?

Nick Cave rarities 3-CD set.

Lots of QOTSA and EoDM.

Killing Joke -- Daggam! I forgot how much this album pumps my blood.

Lots of SubArachnoid Space -- these people are absolutely awesome live, definitely right up my space rock alley.
The UK 7" single had an instrumental version of Waiting for a Train on the B side. The 12" single also had an extended version of the song as well.Wow! So you've really only heard the one song (albeit, three different versions of it).

-Jar-
03-30-2005, 09:30 AM
Rage Against the Machine S/T

Cocteau Twins - Head Over Heels

Deftones - White Pony
Deftones - Deftones

Opeth - Blackwater Park

British Sea Power - The Decline Of...

Alice in Chains - Dirt

Jimmy Eat World - Clarity

my Dismemberment Plan vs. Built to Spill comp.

Davey's Monkey Bones comp.

Davey
03-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Love that Woven Hand, is it all like that (BHP/Calexico-ish)?
Alt-country goth. Yeah, that Woven Hand album is pretty much all like that, although that song does tend to stand out because of the great refrain. It's also very similar to his "main" gig as leader of 16 Horsepower. Many of us raved about their 2002 album Folklore. Great album. David Eugene Edwards is the main guy and he does slow it down and open up the space a bit for the Woven Hand sound, and also lets his religious beliefs make a stronger lyrical showing, although 16 Horsepower covers many of the same themes of sin and redemption. I think both bands are right there alongside Nick Cave and Mark Lanegan and the rest of the pillars in the field, including the Black Heart Procession you mention. Calexico only dabbles in this goth stuff a little, but I wish they would do it more. Might be my favorite type of music for the last few years. Both of my last two comps explored some of that same territory that I first talked about around here when doing my Twilight (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/comps.htm#Twilight) comp, that is the southern gothic sound of Nick Cave, with a nod to Joy Division and/or Bauhaus or some other dark sound, although on that new comp you got I did try to inject more darkness as an underlying theme and get back to some of that Twilight sound. One of these days I'm just gonna go totally dark, like you and I talked about doing a long time ago. See which one of us can make the darkest comp :)

Lots of this stuff is only available over in Europe where they love the sound and have taken to calling it the New Americana. My buddy tentoze explored a lot of this territory as well, and is actually the one that first turned me on to the Woven Hand debut. I just plant the seeds, ya know. Then I come back later and harvest the fruit ;)

Davey
03-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Alt-country goth...16 Horsepower...Folklore. Great album....with a nod to Joy Division and/or Bauhaus or some other dark sound
Hehehe, just checked at AMG and they seemed to have coined a new expression to describe Folklore. Bauhaus-esque :)

Review by Bradley Torreano
Returning after a short leave of absence from the music industry, 16 Horsepower returns with a vengeance on Folklore. Channeling the desperation and depression of the Southern gothic movement better than most artists, they have reached a point where their music has evolved into a series of edgy Western soundscapes. This is fine, as they take traditional country instruments and utilize them to craft Bauhaus-esque doom anthems....

Slosh
03-30-2005, 01:49 PM
Hehehe, just checked at AMG and they seemed to have coined a new expression to describe Folklore. Bauhaus-esque :)

They sound just like a foreboding Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, but hey, they're Christian :)

Dusty Chalk
03-30-2005, 07:37 PM
One of these days I'm just gonna go totally dark, like you and I talked about doing a long time ago. See which one of us can make the darkest comp :)Looking forward to it. I've actually already made a first attempt: What I Was Listening To... (http://patriot.net/~dusty/compilibation04.html) Already thinking about a volume two.

MindGoneHaywire
03-30-2005, 10:01 PM
This is the Tuesday thread? Isn't this the same one from last week? Okay, whatever. Sweet Apple Pie--Between The Lines, more than anything in the past week. Still listening to Petra Haden Sings The Who Sell Out; and I have a copy of the rec she made with Bill Frisell that Davey's posted about, but I just got a chance to throw it on...and hear about 10 seconds of it. Sounded good, though. Checked out both Keren Ann albums I have--Nolita & something else I can't remember the title of. Both of which I like better than I thought I would based on my first impression of her. Uh, got the Beck album when it came out yesterday, the deluxe edition with the DVD & bonus tracks. I think there's still a track or two that I've been listening to for a couple of months since it was leaked that isn't here, but I haven't spent the time to actually find out. Just got a batch of new stuff, none of which I've had a chance to look at, let alone listen to. Noticed a couple of things that I'm very interested in checking out--the Paul Westerberg best-of; a package with two reissues of David Bowie live albums from the 1970s, both 2-CD packages; a Miles Davis collection from the mid & late 50s that I saw in a Starbucks; and some assorted jazz & world music--King Sunny Ade, Sonny Stitt, Marilyn McPartland, etc etc. Oh, and the Rick Springfield best-of--characterized by an associate as being 'the 2-CD edition of his greatest hit.'

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Also some stuff I've seen discussed here, or at least I think I have--Kaiser Chiefs, the Kills, Solomon Burke, and then something that came highly recommended--Crooked Fingers. Oh, yeah, then there were a couple of things I've had that I haven't been able to listen to--new Wonder Stuff, Joy Zipper, and both Bright Eyes albums, of which I much prefer the acoustic/country/folky one. Can't bring myself to break the seal on this Motley Crue 2-CD best-of, much as I'd like to, so I'll content myself with a listen, perhaps, to the Nashville Star reality show soundtrack, or...perhaps the new Engelbert Humperdinck album? Actually I'm sure the Nashville Star is much better. But then there's Tom Wopat (from the Dukes Of Hazzard, yup) singing Harold Arlen. That one or the Humperdinck? There's a poll for ya, Rick.

As if all this weren't enough Brad just sent me like 200 CDs...just kidding...it was quite a care package. Then I come home tonight--wheeling, on a luggage cart, I swear, something like 200 CDs, and what's waiting for me but a package from Finch Platte with like all these CDs. Well, have I got it in for you, pal...as soon as I can. And all I can say is...Brown Ploppy awaits! You've been warned.

tentoze
03-31-2005, 07:16 AM
. One of these days I'm just gonna go totally dark, like you and I talked about doing a long time ago. See which one of us can make the darkest comp :)
Had I not given up The Sporting Life, I might take that as a challenge, name it The Black Hole, maybe...........;)

Lots of this stuff is only available over in Europe where they love the sound and have taken to calling it the New Americana. My buddy tentoze explored a lot of this territory as well, and is actually the one that first turned me on to the Woven Hand debut. I just plant the seeds, ya know. Then I come back later and harvest the fruit ;)
The latest WH is excellento also, in case you haven't heard it............