Decent inexpensive turntable and preamp recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Decent inexpensive turntable and preamp recommendations

psonic
03-21-2005, 05:42 PM
I am looking to add an inexpensive turntable to my rig. I will also need an inexpensive phono preamp if you can help with that. I would like to stay under $250 new or used and see if I like analog before I spend more money on it. Thanks...

Shwamdoo
03-21-2005, 06:23 PM
Rega makes nice turn tables that aren't too expensive. I imagine that you could get a P2 or an used P3 for somewhere near your price range. As far as phono pre amplifiers go, I don't have many recomendations. The NAD PP-2 is cheap and supposedly performs well. The PP-1 is an older model, and you can find it used for around $50.00.

Goodluck.

risabet
03-21-2005, 08:47 PM
I am looking to add an inexpensive turntable to my rig. I will also need an inexpensive phono preamp if you can help with that. I would like to stay under $250 new or used and see if I like analog before I spend more money on it. Thanks...

Pro-Ject makes nice affordable tables, the NAD PP-2 is supposedly good.

BRANDONH
03-22-2005, 06:49 AM

Sony Turntable System (PS-LX250H)
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-Turntable-System-PS-LX250H-/sem/rpsm/oid/35910/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

It will play records nothing fancy and has a built in pre-amp

Logan
03-23-2005, 02:01 AM
I'd recommend the Pro-Ject Debut III turntable. In most countries it comes with a reasonably good phono stage and a respectable Ortofon mm cartridge all set up and ready to go. Much cheaper than the Rega options but not markedly inferior to them. My son-in-law bought one, and I hear nothing objectionable when I play it through my high-end system.

RGA
03-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Agree with Logan -- I heard a dirt cheap Pro-Ject includes Ortofon cart and sounded quite good -- better than the stock version of my NAD and my NAD is a Rega 2 made by Rega for NAD.

I bought the NAD 3 years ago before my dealer had Pro-Ject -- but if it was today I'd take the Pro-Ject.

You could of course go used but then a lot of older ones are not as plug and play as newer models. I'd definitely look at belt drive tables.

psonic
03-23-2005, 09:36 PM
The pro-ject does look good. I just bought an early 80's Sony on ebay with an $80 Ortofon cart very cheap. Just needed a stylus, and I ordered that, Radio Shack was actually the cheapest deal on the Ortofon stylus - $20 + sh. Here is the Sony (different one): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=5761519924&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

This will hold me over as I save up to potentially get a Pro-ject or music hall. Now I need a phono stage. My local hifi shop has the NAD PP2 for $105, I see this is generally accepted as the best bang for the buck phono pre. The cheap Radio Shack phone pre is a thought too. RGA, are you using that? Anyone else hear it or suggest another?

squeegy200
03-24-2005, 10:05 AM
There are a number of descent Phone Preamps available for whatever price range you can afford.

I used an inexpensive Btech BT926 which I purchased from the Needledoctor until I could afford to get the one I really wanted. I was surprised by its performance and I think it put to shame many Phonopre's costing much more. It was definintely as good or better than the NAD PP-1 I've used.

See http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.401/.f;jsessionid=ac112b801f43540e57295cff4742a535f209 5ba8591c.qQvJq2PEmlnva30N-BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOUc30KaNDNo6XKq6zInRmLa30Q8RbCpR0 HoA5Qmh0KaMTNo6XK-kDvrA4Ka3aIqRnvp6iIpAjOp6jynQjM-AbJpgaMc3aOb3aPb3axf2bCpQPz8QfznA5Pp7ftolbGmkTy
for a selection.

RGA
03-24-2005, 11:42 AM
The pro-ject does look good. I just bought an early 80's Sony on ebay with an $80 Ortofon cart very cheap. Just needed a stylus, and I ordered that, Radio Shack was actually the cheapest deal on the Ortofon stylus - $20 + sh. Here is the Sony (different one): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3283&item=5761519924&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

This will hold me over as I save up to potentially get a Pro-ject or music hall. Now I need a phono stage. My local hifi shop has the NAD PP2 for $105, I see this is generally accepted as the best bang for the buck phono pre. The cheap Radio Shack phone pre is a thought too. RGA, are you using that? Anyone else hear it or suggest another?

No I have a tube Phono Stage in my OTO Phono SE...it is a $600.00 phono option on the OTO but well worth it. I still have the Little RAT stage from Radio Shack -- for $50.00Cdn I liked it as much as the Rega and NAD units which here are are quite a lot more money.

I never realised how important the phono stage could be - and they are. But I think one has to keep it all in perspective...If I'm buying a $500.00 table or less like my NAD then I think the Little Rat or NAD etc boards are fine.

BUT I have longer term upgrade goals in mind so wheni finally upgrade my turntable I'll have a top flight phono stage to not result in a let-down. the TT1 I may be able to get for $1100.00Cdn($800US) including the Arm(the carts extra at $500 - 700.00Cdn depending which one I opt for).

psonic
03-28-2005, 12:19 PM
"I still have the Little RAT stage from Radio Shack -- for $50.00Cdn I liked it as much as the Rega and NAD units which here are are quite a lot more money."

Well Radio Shack does not stock it anymore, if you are talking about the one on the website with 9V battery? Or is it this one by realistic? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14974&item=5763770677&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Don't see the 9V version anywere for sale...

GlenNewdick
05-23-2005, 06:20 AM
Just a word of warning if you go cheep thats what the sound will be like. If your looking to get into vinyl, just trying it to see if you like it. I would recommend you borrow a good rig from some one. a poor TT will not convince you of the potential that a descent rig will deliver ( min the Project or Rega in new or go used) so don't waist you money on the Sony.ect.