First home theater, need help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : First home theater, need help!

primusux65
03-21-2005, 03:30 PM
First time posting so bear with me...

I'm looking to start buying the components and speakers for a home theater system but really have no clue on cost or brands to steer towards/away from. I don't want to break the bank on this, but if it's something that will last for a good 5-10 years I'd be willing to go up to $3K. (again, no clue on how long the speakers last etc.)
Would like a 6/7.1 receiver but dont necessarily need more than the 5.1 speakers for right now.

I currently live in an apartment (living room is 12' x 13' but not enclosed) but would like something "good" enough to move to a dedicated home theater room when I purchase a house. (hopefully within 2 years)

I'm going to be using it mostly for DVDs and TV but want to be flexible enough to throw a CD on.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Rock789
03-21-2005, 04:47 PM
hi
I spent 3 months looking for my system, and just purchased it last weekend...
Denon AVR 2805 (I have this now)
Focal JMlab 716 S (fronts and surrounds are on order in cherry)
Focal JMlab CC 700 S (center is on order in cherry)

I am using my old homemade sub which I had with my prologic system I replaced...

the Chorus 706 S were just as nice, but a bookshelf version which may be better for an appartment, and drop the price closer to $2k...

these were the speakers which sounded best to me, and all the recievers I looked at seemed good, so I compared price and options...

other recievers I looked at:
pioneer elite, nad, integra...

other speakers I liked:
Klipsch Reference RF-35
Phase Technology Velocity V-12
M&K Sound
Mirage

I listened to many other speakers which I did not care for...
boston acoustics, bose, definitive technology, and many others which I don't remember

hershon
03-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Well this one is more puzzeling than who killed JFK? If you have $3,000 for a home theater than why are you in an apartment with only a 12X13' living room? I live in a 2 bedroom apartment and my living room is much bigger than that.

Anyway, if I were you, I definately would hold off on everything till you have normal size space for a home theater system as just the size of your "cell" sounds too small for any kind of decent acoustics. Once you know your acoustics, then you can keep shopping around and make adjustments and returns till you get what you want. Right now, what might sound good in your "cell" probably won't sound the same in a normal sized living room. Good luck.

First time posting so bear with me...

I'm looking to start buying the components and speakers for a home theater system but really have no clue on cost or brands to steer towards/away from. I don't want to break the bank on this, but if it's something that will last for a good 5-10 years I'd be willing to go up to $3K. (again, no clue on how long the speakers last etc.)
Would like a 6/7.1 receiver but dont necessarily need more than the 5.1 speakers for right now.

I currently live in an apartment (living room is 12' x 13' but not enclosed) but would like something "good" enough to move to a dedicated home theater room when I purchase a house. (hopefully within 2 years)

I'm going to be using it mostly for DVDs and TV but want to be flexible enough to throw a CD on.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

chimera128
03-21-2005, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't get anything too major right now. If you do your neighbors will hate you and probably hire some of the local kids to break into your apt while you are at work and steal it. $3k can buy you a very nice setup, but you could also just purchase something for right now that you wouldn't mind using for a bedroom setup, or a guest room setup later on, that would work in your apartment to your satisfaction. As for how long speakers last... It depends on how you treat them just like anything else. If you abuse them past what they are capable of doing, or kick them or throw them at your spouse when you are angry at them, then they will probably not last you very long. I think most speaker manufacturers give their products a decent warranty now. I think i even remember a video game speaker system having a 10 year warranty (though i don't know why they would do that considering the target audience). If you really want a nice system for when you move into your house in 2 years though, I would consider possibly just to keep saving up more money. That will allow you to get room treatments, better electronics and better speakers. In the end you will probably be much happier that you waited.