What else is needed with "HDTV-ready" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What else is needed with "HDTV-ready"

valleydoc1
03-21-2005, 12:12 PM
My 4-year old Toshiba TN61X81 is listed as "HDTV-ready". What does this mean I need? I have DirecTV and have been looking at the DirecTV HDTV receiver; is this all that will be needed, or will I need some other component?

edtyct
03-21-2005, 01:23 PM
"HD ready" means that it is capable of receiving an HD signal, but has no tuner of its own to do so. A DirecTV HD receiver, offered by a number of companies, and the special dish to pick up the stations, is one way to get it. Assuming that the dish has an unobstructed view of the satellite(s) involved, you should be good to go. An installer will be able to inspect your site for any problems and suggest the best location for the dish.

Ed

ruadmaa
03-21-2005, 04:09 PM
My 4-year old Toshiba TN61X81 is listed as "HDTV-ready". What does this mean I need? I have DirecTV and have been looking at the DirecTV HDTV receiver; is this all that will be needed, or will I need some other component?

The Directv high definition receiver is all you will ever need for complete HDTV reception. Not only does it receive satellite HDTV it also receives over the air HDTV if you connect an antenna to it.

Incidentally, there is no such thing as a high definition antenna, any regular UHV/VHF antenna is absolutely perfect.

bwithers
03-28-2005, 04:36 PM
The only other trick is to make sure you use the correct connection. Most HD ready TV's will only work with the component video in (seperate Red, Green, Blue RCA's). Just connect the component video ouput to a component video input on the tv.

Sorry if I'm being Captain Obvious

hershon
03-28-2005, 05:55 PM
You can also get a free HD receiver from the Cable company but I think Direct TV has more channels on HD

The only other trick is to make sure you use the correct connection. Most HD ready TV's will only work with the component video in (seperate Red, Green, Blue RCA's). Just connect the component video ouput to a component video input on the tv.

Sorry if I'm being Captain Obvious

techgeek42
04-08-2005, 03:29 PM
I found a few articles at one of my new fav sites TechLore ( www.techlore.com ) about this. Here's a link to the one of the articles: http://www.techlore.com/article/10021/

MikeL54
04-10-2005, 09:22 AM
I have a Samsung DTV recvr. SIR-T150. It works great but was a little expensive, at least it was only a ONE time cost! (uses regular Vhf/Uhf) It's hard to find an 'over the air' only digital receiver anymore, most have satellite also. Most cable companies provide HD now but you PAY extra for digital cable and a new box.