bi-wiring [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : bi-wiring

Lafferman
03-20-2005, 02:45 PM
i just bought monitor 7's for my front sound stage. this completed my 5.1 system! and it only took me a year to do it. with that being said i was wondering if it would be worth my time to bi-wire them my amp is nothing great kenwood vr707 would i really be able to tell a difference with this quality of an amp. all comments are welcome. thanks.

Jimmy C
03-20-2005, 05:45 PM
i just bought monitor 7's for my front sound stage. this completed my 5.1 system! and it only took me a year to do it. with that being said i was wondering if it would be worth my time to bi-wire them my amp is nothing great kenwood vr707 would i really be able to tell a difference with this quality of an amp. all comments are welcome. thanks.

...you should be careful about spending money on expensive cables. I have a pair of Studio 60s, and have had them single-run as well as biwired (different brand wires).

At first listen once biwired, I thought the image specificity tightened up. I never thought I heard a difference in bass, openness, air, blah, blah, etc. Not the most resolving speaker, MIGHT be part of the problem, might not. Besides - with the single run of cheap AudioQuest the image is still very (too?) tight... almost unnaturally so.

Barring trying to assess different room/speaker/wire combinations, (I have recently moved and changed speakers) I would try a cheap run of Monster or Vampire Wire, double it up, see if you hear a diff. OR... borrow a pair of pre-made biwire from a dealer (like my Monster) and see if the diffs are worth the cost.

Bottom line? Try before you buy wire!

Nyuk, nyuk...

kexodusc
03-21-2005, 05:22 AM
Try it out and go with what sounds best to you...for every person that says yes there's one that says no...I don't know what the answer is. I haven't heard any improvment on any speaker I've owned or experimented with, but I haven't owned every speaker ever made either so that doesn't tell you much.
I briefly owned an earlier version of the Monitor 5's...I didn't hear any difference. I tried removing the little jumper plate and using cable too, no difference their either. I'm a little skeptical of these claims now, but wire is cheap enough to try it out, so I say go for it. You'll always wonder until you try it yourself anyway, and if you do hear an improvement, I doubt you'll ever be able to tweak your system as cheaply again.

The Monitors are pretty efficient speakers, bi-wiring shouldn't increase any burden on your amp that wouldn't be there with normal wiring. Rule of thumb: if you start to hear something suspicious, or things start sounding bad, turn it back down! And DON'T cross the wires up.

meephis
03-22-2005, 06:25 PM
I agree with kexodusc on this one, many people say yes and many say no, but its really up to you. In the end its trial and error. I have done the bi-wiring thing with several speakers and have found that it does make a hair difference with some speakers, however not with most. But again try it out and see how it goes.......and good advice on not crossing the cables, i had a newbie friend call me the other day saying his system wasn't working. come to find out he had some wires crossed and he fried an amp, so be careful! Remember that small mistakes can cause big problems!

newbsterv2
03-22-2005, 06:51 PM
.........the BEST a bi-wired setup can do is absolutely nothing different from what a single run would do. I read an article from a site that I can't seem to find now that did exhaustive measurements to see if the effect of bi-wiring could be seen on a graph. The person who did the experiment concluded that the midrange, the argued midrange, a dip as much as about 1.5db in a biwired setup with wires that have different capacitance ind inductance values etc. Basically what this concludes, in the opinion of a science major, is that bi-wiring at BEST will do nothing different than a single run of cables. At WORST a bi-wire setup can possibly act like a tone control. Now lets say your speakers are a little peaky in the midrange then this oddball bi-wire setup can help and probably will. But I'll tell you I owned the Paradigm Monitor 7's and their midrange was already recessed as is and when I bi-wired it got worse. Hope this info helps!!

chimera128
03-22-2005, 11:23 PM
I have also tried biwiring and didn't notice much of a change. If you are happy with the way your speakers sound I would just leave it the way it is, or satisfy your curiosity with some cheap cables like some people have suggested.

Lafferman
03-23-2005, 06:07 PM
i really like how they are sounding right now i think i'll just leave it be and start enjoying! thanks for all the advice.