"Dead" Surround Right [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : "Dead" Surround Right

ThreeDHomer
03-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Posting this here and in Speaker forum. I am getting very little output from my right surround. The only thing I can think of is that the speaker wire running under my house might be pinched. Would that affect sound? The hook ups are fine, and when speakers are switched same problem exists. The speaker is making noise, just muted. Is my receiver shot? It is the same in test mode, all channel speaker, dolby etc....

Hairsonfire
03-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Posting this here and in Speaker forum. I am getting very little output from my right surround. The only thing I can think of is that the speaker wire running under my house might be pinched. Would that affect sound? The hook ups are fine, and when speakers are switched same problem exists. The speaker is making noise, just muted. Is my receiver shot? It is the same in test mode, all channel speaker, dolby etc....

If you swapped out the speaker and the problem was still there then you are left with:

A. Faulty Speaker Wire or;

B. Faulty Amp in your Receiver.

You would be surprised how many people call me about this problem only to discover that their speakers are hooked up with one tiny little wire shorting out the terminals. Are you using analog interconnects from the DVD player to the receiver? Or, a coaxial cable? Unhook everything and start from the beginning being very careful. And, no, a pinched speaker cable would not affect the sound. Good luck.