Bookshelf speaker help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bookshelf speaker help

boxsterh
03-20-2005, 07:47 AM
OK, so I'm looking for some new bookshelf speakers for my system. So far I've listened to Bose's 201s and Cambridge Soundworks m50's. Size is a bit of a limiting factor. What are your thoughts on the Bose? What other speakers should I look at in this price range? Thanks!

jamison
03-20-2005, 08:04 AM
you said size is an issue? how big can they be? what is your budget? Is this for 2 Channel use or for in a Surround setup?
whatever your choice is give them a serious listen if possible. Most people will tell you the Bose are overpriced for what you get and i strongly agree with that. I have a small pair of Klipsch Bookshelf speakers in my office and they serve me well. they are a bit pricey too but i got them on Ebay fairly discounted. The model is RB-15 and i paid $170 for the pair.
good luck to you

Rock789
03-20-2005, 10:58 AM
The Focal JMlab Chorus 706 S sound very good, and imo much better than the Bose 201 or 301... the 706 S with a sub sounds just as good as the 716 S (they have the same midrange driver, and tweeter, the 706 S just does not have the woofer)
the 706 S's are around $449/pr
the 705 S's are also very good, but have a smaller midrange driver, they run $349/pr

I have herd klipsch reference series which are also very good and I believe are about the same price range as the JMlab's

another couple speakers you may want to check out which I liked (although not as much as the JMlab)
Phase Technology, Velocity Series -- I liked the V-12, and was told the V-8 has the same tweeter and midrange driver... $450
Mirage also made some nice sounding floor models, and perhaps their bookshelf's would be worth an audition.

M&K Sound makes some nice speakers, but they were a little pricy compared to what has already been mentioned (>$1000 for a pair of bookshelf sized speakers)

I have listened to many other brands, but would not suggest them...
I hope this helps...
Mike

btw, I recently ordered 4 Chorus 716 S's and 1 Chorus CC 700 S for my new ht setup.

RGA
03-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Agree about the JM labs Chorus line in general.

Not sure what your budget is but here are some reasonably good under $600.00 bookshelf speakers to consider - but definitely listen yourself and decide and not reviewers.

Athena Technologies AS FB2 (6.5)
Audio Note AX Two (9.5)
B&W DM 303 (6.5)
B&W 601S3 (7)
B&W 602S3 (8)
Boston Acoustics VRB (7.5)
Dyanuadio Audience 42 (9)
Energy C-1 (6)
Energy C-3 (7)
Kef Q-1 (6.5)
Klipsch Reference RB35 (7.5)
Linn Katan (7.5)
Paradigm AtomV3 (6)
Paradigm Monitor 3 (6)
Totem Mite (6.5)
Totem Rainmaker (7.5)
Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 (6)
Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 (6.5)

These are some places to start -- there are others of course -- also, I would look at slightly more expensivve speakers and find several you like -- many times a dealer may have some to clear out for the same prices as some of the above --- so you MAY get a better speaker for the same money.

Shwamdoo
03-20-2005, 01:36 PM
I highly recomend the Quad 11L and 12L. After 3 months of auditioning different bookshelfs on my Arcam A65 Plus and and my Arcam CD73, I found the Quad 12L speakers to be the best fit for me.

I also recomend the following companies for budget bookshelf speakers:
B&W
Cyrus
Dynaudio
Epos
Focal
Monitor Audio
NHT
Paradigm
ProAc
PSB
Quad
Totem

Epos is a great value and I took a personal liking to them. Also, PSB, Paradigm, and NHT make a few extremly inexpensive bookshelf speakers.

Goodluck.