Ah, the gift of recorded sound... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ah, the gift of recorded sound...

Chip_B
12-25-2003, 10:24 AM
My lovely wife was most kind to me this year. Under the tree:

Robben Ford - Keep on Running
Jimmy Thackery and the Drivers - True Stories
Chris Duarte - Romp
Tommy Castro, Jimmy Hall, and Lloyd Jones - Triple Trouble (with Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon)
Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer - Tanglewood Tree (woohoo!)
Larry the Cable Guy - Lord, I Apologize (Southern-fried humor from a damned funny guy)

Larry the Cable Guy is also on the Blue Collar Tour DVD my wife gave me.

Other than that, it was a very Gator Christmas. My sister got me a Gator sweatshirt/hoodie, my mom bought me a Nike Gator windbreaker, my wife provided Gator 'jammies and a heavy Gator winter jacket, and one of my sons gave me a beautiful pewter picture frame with a replica of Ben Hill Griffin stadium on it.

As happy as I am over my family's generosity, I got the biggest kick by far from watching my wife, kids, and mom open their gifts. They got some nice surprises this year and it was really fun to watch their faces light up.:)

Chip_B
12-25-2003, 11:07 AM
Merry Christmas to you too, JC. Hope your trip goes well. I'm just killing some time while my wife creates a Christmas dinner masterpiece (and trust me, it will be outstanding!).

What sort of music is Polyphonic Spree?

Jim Clark
12-25-2003, 11:12 AM
Merry Christmas Chip, that's quite the sonic haul you got there. I mangaged a couple from my family-I got finally got the Polyphonic Spree disc as well as the Cat Power disc. I wasn't confident enough in either to buy them myself but they made perfect gifts! Plus I'm thinking I'll end up liking the Cat Power quite a bit. Everyone is having a great day and the boys pronounced it the best Christmas ever so we must have done OK.

I'm going to be out of town for a while so you guys hold the fort. BTW, Stone if you get back from Japan and head to Omaha, shoot me an email before tomorrow!

Have a great day all.

jc

Jim Clark
12-25-2003, 03:09 PM
What sort of music is Polyphonic Spree?

I think it was DLD that introduced them to me via one of the CRSV discs. I don't know how to really describe it very accurately. AMG uses symphonic pop, but they probably spell symphonic correctly and I'm doing this in a hurry. I really hear shades of the Beatles and the Beach Boys, hence my apprehension towards the album as a whole. It's very chamber like with the choir and very uplifting and there's some proggy aspect to it, as you might guess. Again, AMG says something like a touch of Flaming Lips and that's fairly accurate. The last track, 36 minutes of meandering pointless electronic sounds seems like a bust, but I've been enjoying the rest. The song is called, appropriately enough "Long Day".

Dinner time!

jc

dld
12-25-2003, 04:05 PM
Glad yer enjoying the Spree Jim. they just did two sold out (means I missed them) concerts at an old theater here last weekend. VERY holiday oriented according to the review. The review also mentioned that fans from all over the world trekked over here to witness the Spree at Christmas. Not bad for a band without a label.

And Chip, Gator Fan huh? Have you rented the movie Big Trouble? VERY Get Shorty-ish (same director, most of the cast. etc..). Gator fans gets lots of, er, props.

Great music haul Chip. Heres Mrs. Nasty and Mine own's:

British Sea Power, Decline of...
Imiagine, the soundtrack
John Lennon, Imagine, remastered
Flaming Lips, Yoshimi, DVD Audio, 2 CD, GREAT!!. Sone cool unplugged versions
Waren Zevon, The Wind
Stones, Beggars Banquet, SACD
Dav id Bowie, Aladdin Sane, 30 th yr. anniv., 2cd remastered
Wilie Nelson, Stardust, remastered
David Bowie, Reality
Bob Dylan, Desire, SACD
Bob Dylan, Planet Waves, SACD
Bob Dylan, Bring It All back Home, SACD
Bob Dylan, Another Side Of.., SACD
Daniel Lanois, Shine
Donovan, Storyteller, SACD
David Bowie, Scary monsters, SACD
Roy Orbison, Back and White DVD

NP, Imagine soundtrack, Julia specifically

Chip_B
12-25-2003, 06:00 PM
And Chip, Gator Fan huh? Have you rented the movie Big Trouble? VERY Get Shorty-ish (same director, most of the cast. etc..). Gator fans gets lots of, er, props.

I haven't seen it, but I know about the so-called 'props'. :rolleyes:

BTW, I sure hope LSU whups OU; that would be the BEST sort of props for the Gators, considering they will have finished the season as the ONLY team to beat the champs (and beat them <i>decisively</i> in Red Stick, no less!). Beyond that, I nearly always root for SEC teams playing out of conference and I like LSU anyway...classy team with classy fans. There was an article on Gatorsports.com earlier this season that included several quotes from Gator players praising the Bayou Bengals for the way they conduct themselves on and off the field. That's certainly good enough for me. Geaux Tigers!

DarrenH
12-26-2003, 12:25 PM
than the gift of music.

Okay, probably a lot of other things but this music junky certainly appreciates a CD or two..or three.

Santa was kind this year as I received three $50 gift cards to Barnes and Noble which I promptly spent today. Here's what I bought:

Charlie Parker - The complete Verve sessions. 3CD compilation in a metal box with a very nice booklet.

Miles Davis - *****es Brew. 2 CD remaster. Ya know what? I kinda like this. Organized chaos. I just had to know what this was all about I guess.

Holst - The Planets. Andre Previn, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Telarc CD-80133

George Gershwin - Rhapsody In Blue/An American In Paris. Erich Kunzel, Cincinatti Symphony Orchestra. Telarc CD-80058

Bach - Brandenburg Concertos nos 1, 2 & 3. Martin Pearlman, Boston Baroque. Telarc CD-80368

Bach - Brandenburg Concertos nos 4, 5 & 6. Martin Pearlman, Boston Baroque. Telarc CD-80354

Not my usual listening but I did want to expand on some things. I've always loved Rhapsody In Blue and I have been on a bit of a jazz kick lately.

Jim:
I really like that Polyphonic Spree disc as well but I never understood why they put that 36 minute heap of garbage at the end.

Chip:
Nice haul and you're right, watching people open the presents that you gave is more fun and rewarding.

DLD:
Nice haul as well. Fairly eclectic I'd say. Since Johnny Cash's passing I went and bought a bunch of his recordings. Only reason I mentioned that is I see you got a Willie Nelson disc.

I trust everyone had a nice Christmas. We awoke Christmas morning to about 5 inches of newly fallen snow. A truly 'white Christmas' since the ground was bare the day before. It was a very nice day.

Darren

DarrenH
12-26-2003, 12:34 PM
I'll be darn. The BB software editted that Miles Davis title.

tentoze
12-26-2003, 03:54 PM
I'll be darn. The BB software editted that Miles Davis title.

It got me the other day, too, Darren. See my post in "Feedback" that hasn't been responded to.