Please Help!! S-video and Component Compatibility [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!! S-video and Component Compatibility

Yngwie77
03-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Help! I can't get component video from my DVD/VCR player into my receiver to work. Is it because I can't go into the receiver via component cables and then go out to the TV via S-video? My TV only has RCA and an S-video input. I'm wondering if its the cable compatibility or do the inputs on my receiver not work?
Right now i have it set up through the VCR inputs coming in S-video and RCA audio and going out the same way to the TV. That works. But since i have Component and Digital coax out too I wanted to use that. However when i did it doesnt work. Only thing i can think of is that since I can only go into the TV via S-video that maybe the two cannot be mixed. is that the reason? please help im going nuts.

chimera128
03-19-2005, 06:54 AM
I'm not sure about your receiver but my Denon will only output/receive Signals lower than or equal to the one I am sending to the TV (don't know if i said that correctly lol.. it's early)

Yngwie77
03-19-2005, 07:01 AM
Thats the same way i was thinking, that maybe its just the mix of cables and since i can only go into the tv S-video that component wont work. i actually might take my 17" lcd and move it to the receiver today and hook it up through that because that tv has component ins. That will at least rule out the rec malfunctioning if it works through that tv.

LEAFS264
03-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Thats the same way i was thinking, that maybe its just the mix of cables and since i can only go into the tv S-video that component wont work. i actually might take my 17" lcd and move it to the receiver today and hook it up through that because that tv has component ins. That will at least rule out the rec malfunctioning if it works through that tv.

Your receiver will not downconvert and then send a signal to the t.v most of the new ones will upconvert but i don't know of any that downconvert. Sorry but your component cable is useless. If your t.v is not hdtv you won't see much if any difference at all anyway.

Stick with the s-video

Jay

Worf101
03-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Help! I can't get component video from my DVD/VCR player into my receiver to work. Is it because I can't go into the receiver via component cables and then go out to the TV via S-video? My TV only has RCA and an S-video input. I'm wondering if its the cable compatibility or do the inputs on my receiver not work?
Right now i have it set up through the VCR inputs coming in S-video and RCA audio and going out the same way to the TV. That works. But since i have Component and Digital coax out too I wanted to use that. However when i did it doesnt work. Only thing i can think of is that since I can only go into the TV via S-video that maybe the two cannot be mixed. is that the reason? please help im going nuts.

Receirvers do NOT downconvert signal from Component to Composit or S-video. The only way to enjoy your Component signal is to get a TV that accepts it. Sorry...

Da Worfster :(

donc
03-21-2005, 05:17 PM
I had the same problem with my Yamaha HTR5750 receiver. After 3 weeks, Tech Support finally responded, referring me to their 800 number. Talking with the Tech, basically he said that component video into a receiver only carries the video signal, all three cables. Audion has to come from the Audio outputs on the DVD/VCR to the DVD 'regular' input on the receiver. As you can tell by my knowledge of what things are called I'm new to this. However, this solution, which I had already figured out by trial & error, does work. What I finally did was connect the component cords and an 'optical' cord (my Sony DVD/VCR supports this also). Works great. The tech said that the optical cord is where my sound comes from. However, the first suggestion I gave you should also work.