2-channl stereo listening question! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 2-channl stereo listening question!

Lord Nikon
03-18-2005, 03:25 PM
I have a pair of Mirage Omni 250 floorstanding speakers and a Yamaha HTR-5760. I have a few questions about music listening. For subwoofer settings, what setting should I I use LFE, Front, or Both? Also for music listening, shall I leave my speakers on Small or Large? Thanks!

Wireworm5
03-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Just my .02 cents. Using Fronts, sub or both for me would depend on how much bass you want. If the bass is overwhelming for you room just use the sub. Or even use your fronts without the sub. The idea here is you can better control the bass with just the sub, but go with what sounds best in your room. As for small or large this depends on how loud you play it and how much power you have. For example if I set my speakers to large my amp will clip at lower volumes because it uses more power to play the bass frequencies. By setting the speakers to small and let my sub's amp handle the bass I can get the volume up higher on my amp without clipping. Also when speakers are set to small I perceive a better mid-range response.

kexodusc
03-19-2005, 04:40 AM
You typically (but not always) can get the best subwoofer/speaker blend by setting the bass to "sub" and reducing the LFE to the lowest value your speakers can handle...I'd recommend 80Hz or 60Hz if you can do it.
However, personal tastes might change this.
For 2-channel music listening, you could use the "Direct mode" and bypass the sub altogether if you want. This is probably the purest signa. It's the same effect as having the speakers set to "large". This way you don't have to constantly mess with settings...I frequently bounce between the equivalent "straight" and "direct" modes on my RX-V1400, depending on the tune.

One last thing, when setting the speakers to "small" make sure the sub's crossover/cutoff dial is set to maximum, or bypassed if available.

shokhead
03-19-2005, 05:07 AM
If your hooked up for multi-channel,cant you use the 6 analogs for cd playback and its just the front mains?