this march music madness poll is making me depressed!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : this march music madness poll is making me depressed!!!!

Kaboom
03-18-2005, 10:46 AM
because its making me realize how at 18 i dont know SH¡T about music and most bands!!!
i see the names on the threads and i barely recognize some of the bands, and then i go on to read people's replies and these are obviously bands of incredible musical quality and importance...
lol it just upsets me to know how much i've missed/i'm missing out on. But at the moment i still have a pile of music to listen and evaluate from the band's i got at this forum alone. i cant afford nor store more music at the moment. AAAAAARGH!!! i want to live the 70s!
Is there anyone else here feeling like this? as in someone who's too young or has been into music seirously too short to know all them WONDERFUL bands?
i mean 2 weeks ago i had never heard of porcupine tree and now i cant stop listening to them, i cant believe i didnt know about such a great band before.
ok ok enough rambling. Just wondering if someone here was feeling like me
cheers!

-Jar-
03-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Don't fret it son.. when I was 18 (1988) I was barely scraping the surface of everything that was out there. I joined a college radio station at the school I went to and THAT completely changed things. Up to that time, my musical world was pretty much A) Heavy Metal B) A few of the better known punk bands C) Rudimentary classic rock and D) Classical. Through being a college dj and having a record library of almost 100,000 records at my fingertips (mostly alternative stuff to boot), I had more music around than any one person can absorb. To this day I still find records that came out back then that I somehow missed.

Don't be depressed, a great many of us around here would love to be in your position. Though, there's probably about 100 times as much music out there now as there was in 1988..but that's pretty cool I think..

-jar

Finch Platte
03-18-2005, 11:00 AM
i see the names on the threads and i barely recognize some of the bands!

...some of us offer comps. It's our way of exposing others to music we've found & like.

Keep your eyes peeled to this forum for new additions, or do a search for 'comp' and see if there's anything you see you like.

fp

ForeverAutumn
03-18-2005, 11:06 AM
because its making me realize how at 18 i dont know SH¡T about music and most bands!!

But think about all the fun years that you'll have ahead of you trying to catch up. Not that you ever can...there's just way too much music out there...but you'll have fun trying.

I'm more than double your age and I don't know anything about most of the bands that are talked about around here, even the older bands that were popular when I was your age. That's what makes this place so great. We can all learn from each other. So...don't be depressed over what you don't know. Celebrate what you're about to learn!

Slosh
03-18-2005, 12:02 PM
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

-Jar-
03-18-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm out there Jerry and I'm lovin' every minute of it!

ForeverAutumn
03-18-2005, 12:59 PM
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Happy Festivus Sloshy! :)

Art Vandelay
03-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Some of you people just seem to have too much time on your hands! But while I'm here making one of my rare appearances outside the Village....

I don't know if it was the alcohol or the ammonia, but the next thing I knew she was mopping the floor with me.

newtrix1
03-18-2005, 01:40 PM
I don't think you're alone, I'm 43 and still picking up older album rec's here. In fact I don't own anything by the 2 bands I posted today Television & the Pixies. I do plan on remedying that one of these days though.

OK, here's a quick list of 5 albums that IMO you can't go wrong with if you're the type of music fan that you seem to be. Probably stuff you're not already familiar with, but these are classics (or near classics), and if you don't like these albums, I'll eat my hat:

1) Talking Heads - Remain in Light (last years MMM favorite band)
2) Peter Gabriel - s/t (he has a few self titled releases, the one to get has his face melting on the cover)
3) Lou Reed - Rock & Roll Animal (awesome live album, if we did a favorite live album thread here, I bet this one would appear on half the peoples lists)
4) Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere (he didn't make March Music Madness, but he should have)
5) Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (you gotta have this one already right??!

Finch Platte
03-18-2005, 01:44 PM
You could be the first pirate comedian.

fp <---- aka Bisquick or Pimento or Gherkin or Sauce or Maxwell House...

Kaboom
03-18-2005, 01:56 PM
yaaarh of course i own WYWH... in fact i own four copies... orig jap sony vinyl, spanish vinyl, first pressing still with black shrink wrap UK(i'm still eating less to cover up the hole it left on my pocket...), and the remaster CD. this must be one of the most kickass albums EVER pressed.
a friend of mine really likes talking heads. Its already on my dload list and if i like it its a sure trip to the music store to pick up some things.
As you people said, actualy its a great thing that there's so much music to discover! it just bother's me that there isnt enough time to discover it all!
i found wikipedia to be an awesome tool to find introductory info to some of the bands i'd never heard before.
hey if Brandohn (spelling?) is reading, try this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Religion
cheers!

Finch Platte
03-18-2005, 02:00 PM
...let me tell you something, funny boy... You know that little stamp? The one that says New York Public Library? Well, that may not mean anything to you, but that means a lot to me. One whole helluva lot. Sure, go ahead, laugh if you want to. I've seen your type before - flashy, making the scene, flaunting convention. Yeah, I know what you're thinking... Why's this guy making such a big stink about old library books? Let me give you a hint, junior. Maybe we can live without libraries, people like you and me.... Maybe. Sure, we're too old to change the world. What about that kid, sitting down, opening a book right now in a branch of the local library and finding pictures of pee-pees and wee-wees in The Cat in the Hat and The Five Chinese Brothers. Doesn't he deserve better? Look, if you think this is about overdue fines and missing books, you'd better think again. This is about that kid's right to read a book without getting his mind warped. Or maybe that turns you on, Slosheroo... Maybe that's how you get your kicks... You and your goodtime buddies... I've got a flash for you, joy boy. Partytime is over.

fp

Davey
03-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Only 18? Wow! Let me see, what music was I obsessing over at 18? There was so much great stuff all around. I was really into a lot of the glammy stuff back then, like T. Rex and David Bowie and Mott the Hoople and a bunch of others. Yeah, especially T. Rex. Electric Warrior is still a big favorite. I think Aladdin Sane was really big for me. Loved all those Bowie albums from around the time of Ziggy. Oh man, it would be fun to rediscover all that music, but it just wouldn't be the same. And you can't really see any of those bands anymore except in grainy videos.

Oh well, if you wanna see what some of the local yokels around here think are some of the essentials someone in your shoes should check out, click here (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/raverecsessentials.htm). And yeah, I agree, not a very stimulating list when the numbers were added up, but some real gems floating around in some of the individual lists. And the later thread opened up some new avenues of exploration too. But don't pay much attention to the list from that Tricky Ricky RPM newtrix guy, even though he does do some fun matchups.

newtrix1
03-18-2005, 05:30 PM
But don't pay much attention to the list from that Tricky Ricky RPM newtrix guy, even though he does do some fun matchups.

I printed those lists out on hardcopy (don't trust digital data). Hey, I still stand by my list (well, excpet for Pontiac maybe) :D

DarrenH
03-18-2005, 06:39 PM
The Seinfeld DVD's have sold well.

Hyfi
03-19-2005, 06:13 AM
that I can't turn on the TV without seeing a stupid basketball game.

Who frikkin cares!!!

Off with the TV and On with the stereo.

ForeverAutumn
03-19-2005, 09:50 AM
...let me tell you something, funny boy... You know that little stamp? The one that says New York Public Library? Well, that may not mean anything to you, but that means a lot to me. One whole helluva lot. Sure, go ahead, laugh if you want to. I've seen your type before - flashy, making the scene, flaunting convention. Yeah, I know what you're thinking... Why's this guy making such a big stink about old library books? Let me give you a hint, junior. Maybe we can live without libraries, people like you and me.... Maybe. Sure, we're too old to change the world. What about that kid, sitting down, opening a book right now in a branch of the local library and finding pictures of pee-pees and wee-wees in The Cat in the Hat and The Five Chinese Brothers. Doesn't he deserve better? Look, if you think this is about overdue fines and missing books, you'd better think again. This is about that kid's right to read a book without getting his mind warped. Or maybe that turns you on, Slosheroo... Maybe that's how you get your kicks... You and your goodtime buddies... I've got a flash for you, joy boy. Partytime is over.

fp

I think that my friend Finchy has waaaaay to much free time on his hands. :(

Well Finchy, stop wrapping yourself in velvet and take a little run to the post office. I haven't received the package that you sent me. But, please, be careful licking the envelope. I hear they can be dangerous. ;)