Hats off to Hometheater Magazine! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to Hometheater Magazine!

Keith from Canada
03-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Just thought that I would share a story that shows that sometimes a magazine really isn't all about advertising dollars.

I was looking at front projectors for my yet-to-be-built home theater and I decided to look at Hometheater magazines sponsored links on their web site to see how they compared with other on-line retailers. I came across a link entitled "Super-low Canadian Prices" and decided to check them out (I won't mention the retailers name). What I found was shocking. Every single projector was priced at hundreds to thousands of dollars more than any other Canadian retailer. Case in point -- the Sanyo PL-Z3 was listed at $9,999 which is $6,000 more than any other Canadian retailer! It was similar for virtually every projector that they sold.

I e-mailed HT magazine and told them about these discrepancies and I made it clear that I was concerned that Canadian's might get duped into believing that this retailer was carrying the endorsement of their magazine. After e-mailing HT mags advertising department with examples of this price gouging, the link was removed from their site completely.

Needless to say I am pleased by the magazine's response to my concerns. They acted quickly and genuinely made me believe that they do not endorse this type of activity. I will be renewing my membership!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
03-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Just thought that I would share a story that shows that sometimes a magazine really isn't all about advertising dollars.

I was looking at front projectors for my yet-to-be-built home theater and I decided to look at Hometheater magazines sponsored links on their web site to see how they compared with other on-line retailers. I came across a link entitled "Super-low Canadian Prices" and decided to check them out (I won't mention the retailers name). What I found was shocking. Every single projector was priced at hundreds to thousands of dollars more than any other Canadian retailer. Case in point -- the Sanyo PL-Z3 was listed at $9,999 which is $6,000 more than any other Canadian retailer! It was similar for virtually every projector that they sold.

I e-mailed HT magazine and told them about these discrepancies and I made it clear that I was concerned that Canadian's might get duped into believing that this retailer was carrying the endorsement of their magazine. After e-mailing HT mags advertising department with examples of this price gouging, the link was removed from their site completely.

Needless to say I am pleased by the magazine's response to my concerns. They acted quickly and genuinely made me believe that they do not endorse this type of activity. I will be renewing my membership!

Good job Keith for going the extra mile and giving the mag a heads up. Most people would have just passed this by and let some poor schmo get hung out to dry.

Hawkeye
03-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Excellent Keith, way to go. Who knows how many "poor schmos" you just saved!! ;)

Worf101
03-19-2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks for doing the "right" thing and then telling folks about it... Missed you around here and hope you return for good...

Da Worfster :cool:

Keith from Canada
03-22-2005, 09:31 AM
My current projects include finishing the basement of my new home and installing a front projector system. I'll be leaving my RPTV in the family room upstairs for the children to enjoy. I'll be starting my project in the fall and hope to have a theater in my basement that includes a WXGA LCD front projector system (e.g. like the Panasonic AE700 or Sanyo PL-Z3) and a 106" DIY black-out cloth screen. After spending big $'s on an RPTV a few years back, I realize now that those same $'s would have been better spent on a projection system. I can pull together a kick-butt theater for well under $3K and be left with a 106" image by going the front projection route.

Unfortunately, AVS Forum offers more information on front projectors and DIY screens so it will be my primary source for information gathering over the coming months. I will definitely be stopping by my old stomping grounds to gather the expertise and advice from all the AR regulars though!