Which DVD player gives most bang for the buck? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which DVD player gives most bang for the buck?

drummerdano
03-18-2005, 08:16 AM
I am researching DVD players to upgrade my home theater, leaning towards Denon, either the 2910 or 3910. Looking for opinions or recommendations
Thanks,
Dan

LEAFS264
03-18-2005, 07:39 PM
Well i have the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI which i feel is superieor to both of the models you are looking at. I was also going to get one the the denons until i got a closer look at the dv-59avi. Give it a look before you decide. I think you'll be impresed.

Jay

kexodusc
03-19-2005, 03:54 AM
All comes down to how much you're looking to spend...but there's some $50-$100 Toshiba's, Panasonics, and Pioneer's out there that'll do 90% of everything you need as well as a $400 player.
I just brought home a Toshiba sd-4960 and Yamaha c-750...the micro picture improvement that really only presents itself during "fast scenes" isn't worth the extra $150 in my opinion.
The Pioneer 578a is $100 or so and gets good reviews despite a few quality issues, and seemed good to me in store.
These I would argue are in the best-bang-for-the-buck" category.
Now if you want additional performance, you're going to pay a premium...how fussy you are with video will determine how "worth it" it is to you. Some people wouldn't consider anything less, and that's fine too.

shokhead
03-19-2005, 05:10 AM
Yamaha C750 $299 Changer,plays most disc's,does everything at least good.

kapsley
03-19-2005, 08:27 AM
In my opinion, DVD players have become such a commodity that you can shop by price (although I would always go with a well-known name such as Denon, Sony, etc). The more expensive models offer some bells and whistles, but you have to ask yourself, how often will you use them?

gonefishin
03-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Hi there :)

Plenty of differences with DVD players. Not only in sound...but in picture quality too. I recently was looking for a budget player for my HT set-up. I had bought bought the latest and newest Sony machine thinking that this player would certainly be good enough for HT picture duty.

Well, I ended up returning because the picture quality paled in comparison to my highly modified APL Pioneer 563a (http://www.aplhifi.com/Pioneer563a.html). But there's no way I'm going to leave this player in HT duty when I need it down stairs for two channel.

If this is for HT and picture quality is a big concern you should be fine with both Denon models. If you don't choose one of these two then I'd buy from a place that doesn't have a problem with exchanges. While there were several (undesirable) changes with the 578 from the 563a...it still does a good job for a budget HT dvd player.

have fun!

Florian
03-19-2005, 02:23 PM
The Marantz DV4300 is amazing and so is the Cambridge Audio Azur DVD Player. They both have Component video switching and quiet drives too. Also great on-screen setups.

drummerdano
03-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi there :)

Plenty of differences with DVD players. Not only in sound...but in picture quality too. I recently was looking for a budget player for my HT set-up. I had bought bought the latest and newest Sony machine thinking that this player would certainly be good enough for HT picture duty.

Well, I ended up returning because the picture quality paled in comparison to my highly modified APL Pioneer 563a (http://www.aplhifi.com/Pioneer563a.html). But there's no way I'm going to leave this player in HT duty when I need it down stairs for two channel.

If this is for HT and picture quality is a big concern you should be fine with both Denon models. If you don't choose one of these two then I'd buy from a place that doesn't have a problem with exchanges. While there were several (undesirable) changes with the 578 from the 563a...it still does a good job for a budget HT dvd player.

have fun!

Everyone helped with their own particular views/opinions and recommendations. Tough decision coming I think, but I think I'm going to start by going to personally audition several models in all price ranges, and decide from there. Thanks for everyone's input. Will update later with my choice.
Dan