JVC tv recall info here: [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JVC tv recall info here:

dean_martin
03-17-2005, 01:06 PM
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05130.html

edtyct
03-17-2005, 02:55 PM
This could be a bad blow for JVC's (#) HD-ILA technology, which is related to the LCoS version developed by Sony (#). As promising as it is insofar as PQ is concerned, it is expensive and difficult to manufacture. Mitsubishi, Intel, and Philips have all dropped out of this particular race, fearing not enough return on their investment. It remains to be seen what will happen to JVC's plans after this recall.

Ed

topspeed
03-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Terrific. After wading through piles of incomprehensibe gobbleygook, I finally decide the JVC is the one and now this happens :rolleyes:. Figures. The new models are supposed to be out in May or so but I can't find any info on what the changes are going to be outside of a black cabinet. Maybe I'll get that Mits DLP after all...

edtyct
03-18-2005, 05:58 AM
Well, you can always look into Sony's (#) new 70" SXRD set, based on the Qualia front projection system--if you've got money to burn. Unlike JVC (#), Sony bided its time selling plain vanilla LCD, gradually improving it, while developing this technology, determined not to release SXRD to the market until it was ready. As it is, Sony has admitted that SXRD is not meant for the mass market; apparently, it will not be manufactured it in great quantities, leaving its price about twice that for a comparatively sized Grand Wega or DLP. But Sony's conservative strategy is telling. I'm rooting for JVC; the DiLP picture, by all accounts, is terrific. But if they continue with it after this setback, you'd think that they'd have to sell a whole lot of them at a premium price to keep it up. No other manufacturer at this point is willing to assume the hardship of this technology.

Ed

topspeed
03-18-2005, 08:38 AM
Well, you can always look into Sony's (#) new 70" SXRD set, based on the Qualia front projection system--if you've got money to burn. Unlike JVC (#), Sony bided its time selling plain vanilla LCD, gradually improving it, while developing this technology, determined not to release SXRD to the market until it was ready. As it is, Sony has admitted that SXRD is not meant for the mass market; apparently, it will not be manufactured it in great quantities, leaving its price about twice that for a comparatively sized Grand Wega or DLP. But Sony's conservative strategy is telling. I'm rooting for JVC; the DiLP picture, by all accounts, is terrific. But if they continue with it after this setback, you'd think that they'd have to sell a whole lot of them at a premium price to keep it up. No other manufacturer at this point is willing to assume the hardship of this technology.

Ed
$10K for a TV??? No thanks, I'll take the zero. Sony has a less than stellar reputation for quality these days, what with all the recalls and increasing failure rates. The picture is still one of the best, but it seems to have been achieved at the cost of durability. I'm not a fan of LCD either as the sde is really quite noticeable to me. Interestingly enough, I haven't really seen the rainbow effect in action on the DLP's I've been looking at. I'm guessing that this is either because I'm not one of the small percentage that can see them or the HD2+ & 7 segment wheel sets I'm considering simply aren't as prone to that. This really does suck about JVC though as they seemed to present the best compromise of picture quality, value, and size. Auuuuuugggghhh!!!:mad:

edtyct
03-18-2005, 10:59 AM
I know what you mean about the money for the SXRD and the reliability issues in general with Sony lately, having run up against them myself. Luckily, the vast majority of people don't see the rainbow effect, although any DLP that projects colors sequentially is, in principle, prone to it. I'm one of the lucky people who has never been bothered by the screen-door effect on newer LCDs either. I have my fingers crossed for the JVC. The one I saw--even under terrible circumstances, I might add--was a knockout.

Ed