Upgrading Yamaha RX-V795a [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Yamaha RX-V795a

brian_tr
12-24-2003, 07:38 PM
I am wanting to upgrade my Yamaha RX-V795a. Went to my local store today and he had a Yamaha RX-V1300 for $599. Would this be a good trade up?

spacedeckman
12-24-2003, 10:03 PM
the 1300 was KILLER. Much better front end (pre-amp section) and better feature set means not only a better sounding receiver, but more flexible too.

brian_tr
12-25-2003, 08:13 AM
Also considering the 1400. They do not have it in stock right now but might be worth waiting for. Can it be ran in 5.1 mode until I can get new speakers?

uncooked
12-25-2003, 11:43 PM
you most definetely can. you just turn the extras off in the set up menu. very straight forward

JSE
12-26-2003, 07:31 AM
Get the RX-V1400. Shop around, you can get it for about the same price or just a few bucks more. $599 is pretty high for the RX-V1300 now that it's discontinued. You might be able to find it a lot cheaper as well.

JSE

brian_tr
12-26-2003, 10:15 AM
I think I have decided on the 1400. My local store said it will be about $750. Sounds to high for me. I can get it on the internet for around $585 with shipping. I know I will not get the factory warranty if bought on line but the company selling them gives a one year warranty. So far I have never had to use a warranty. I would like to support my local store but we are talking about quite a bit of differance in price plus I will save on taxes by buying on line.

TinHere
12-26-2003, 10:55 AM
I think I have decided on the 1400. My local store said it will be about $750. Sounds to high for me. I can get it on the internet for around $585 with shipping. I know I will not get the factory warranty if bought on line but the company selling them gives a one year warranty. So far I have never had to use a warranty. I would like to support my local store but we are talking about quite a bit of differance in price plus I will save on taxes by buying on line.

Good choice. The newer runs have DPLIIx. You should check to see if that is what you are getting if that is a concern. YPAO rules.

Woochifer
12-26-2003, 01:21 PM

The 1400 is a relatively new model, and that's about the expected price for that particular model. If you're looking for another deal on a closeout, Good Guys have been selling the RX-V3300 for about $600. And a few months ago, they cleared out their remaining RX-V2300s for $500. You should be able to find the 1300 for less than that.

Going with the unauthorized vendor is a risk. Keep in mind that Yamaha is very strict about not working on unauthorized units, and I believe that their repair centers will not work on an unauthorized unit even if the customer offers to pay for repairs. Yamahas are reliable, but they're not perfect and defective units do crop up.

The difference in price is there because a unit without a factory warranty, known point of origin, or local point of aftersales support is not the same thing as something sold online through an unauthorized vendor. If you're willing to dispense with the certainty and aftersales support, then obviously you've made your choice. But, if you want to support your local store, see what they can do to try and match the price you found online. Doubt that they'll go all the way down to $585, but who knows. When I got my RX-V800 a few years ago at an authorized dealer's warehouse sale, I paid about that amount and that unit also had an $800 MSRP.

brian_tr
12-27-2003, 08:33 AM
Is there a HTR version of the RX-V1400?

TinHere
12-27-2003, 08:51 AM
Is there a HTR version of the RX-V1400?

Not at this time. My understanding is that the HTR's are just as good as the RX-V line, however they don't offer YPAO in that series yet. IMHO it's YPAO that makes Yammie the one to beat.

spacedeckman
12-28-2003, 06:54 AM
Get it from the local dealer. First, because it helps keep a local dealer, second, you will avoid any pitfalls in the warranty area. I'm a big B&M supporter, and find it funny that nobody thinks anything about going to a local dealer, getting his advice, attention, and borrowing his facilities to compare products, and then will run to the internet, thinking the local dealer did nothing but try to screw him. I try to do as much as I can with locals, since I frequent their places to see what is going on. I try to stay with independents if I can. $160 is a lot of money, but, the local can't survive selling it at $585, that's not much more than what they have in it. The internet guy can sell for that because all they need is some warehouse space, or a garage, and a computer. They can't answer questions, can't let you see it, and if you don't like it, you pay the freight to get it back. To me that is just wrong.

Now, when you try to get your 1400 on line, be aware that there is a good chance that they will try to talk you out of it and sell you something they do have because they don't have it, and on that piece will probably have a hard time getting one from some dealer lacking moral fiber. Bait and switch is how most of those operations work.

There is not, and from what I hear, may not be an HTR version of the 1400.

Availability has probably been a bit tight on the 1400 as well. There hasn't been so much attention paid to an upscale receiver for about 5 years. Yamaha had a similar thing going with the 995 which was $1000. But now there is a pretty good run going on both the 1400 and 2400. I for one feel really good about that. It will also keep the price up a bit until Yamaha can catch up. Supply and demand, basic economics.

brian_tr
12-29-2003, 08:20 AM
I decided to get it at my dealers. It will be $230 more after taxes but guess its the right thing to do. He should have them in stock in a couple of weeks. He is still trying to talk me into the RX-V1300 for $599.