S video vs component cable for non hdTV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : S video vs component cable for non hdTV

IRG
03-17-2005, 07:42 AM
Hey,
I am upgrading to a NAD T743 receiver today, and want to make video switching easier on me and the family. Right now I have a 27" Sony flatscreen non HDTV. Picture is quite good for non HD. I have a digital cable box hooked into the TV using S video, and I have a Sony dvd player hooed directly to TV using component cables, and finally a Gamecube hooked into the TV using the comosite hookups.

Here is what I would like to do. Hook up the cable box to the receiver using the s video again (and the RCA cables for audio), get a new cable for the Gamecube that will allow both an S video connection and the RCA cables for audio into the receiver, and use the S video for the DVD player into the receiver (sacrificing the component connection) and use a digital cable for audio, and finally run a S video cable out from the receiver to the TV.

1. Does anyone think I will sacrifice picture quality watching DVDs using s video rather than a component cable using a non HDTV 27" screen?

2. Can I use the digital cable for audio on the dvd player, and yet use RCA cables for the other two sources? Will this be switched automatically, is what I am after.

And finally, and I posted this under one of Hershon's posts regarding a cable box and 5.1 hookups. I use a Time Warner Cable box and have been told that they lack a digital/analog converter, so if you use a digital cable for the audio, but listen to an analog station, you won't get much audio if anything. It will be fine if you are after a 5.1 broadcast, but mostly I won't be. If you use an RCA cable for audio, you will get everything, but will miss out on, obviously, the 5.1 broadcasts. Any comment/solution to this? (Besides switching cables companies, I am not going to). Thanks in advance!

LEAFS264
03-17-2005, 08:19 AM
I don't think you will see a big difference in picture quallity by using s video insted of component.
Yes you can use the digital cable for audio on the dvd player and rca for the others but it will not switch by itself you will have to do it manually with the remote or front of the receiver. By changing your input format (ie. dvd/cd/video/ etc.....) But the digital audio will ONLY work for 5.1 or other dts or dolby formats not SACD OR DVD-AUDIO.

Jay

IRG
03-17-2005, 08:59 AM
I don't think you will see a big difference in picture quallity by using s video insted of component.
Yes you can use the digital cable for audio on the dvd player and rca for the others but it will not switch by itself you will have to do it manually with the remote or front of the receiver. By changing your input format (ie. dvd/cd/video/ etc.....) But the digital audio will ONLY work for 5.1 or other dts or dolby formats not SACD OR DVD-AUDIO.

Jay
Thanks Jay. So if I understand, they way I have mentioned hooking it up, I will simply choose what input on the receiver, video 1 for example, and both audio and video will be switched at once. This will also include the dvd player audio, correct?

For the dvd player, I only want it to be DD or DTS anyway.

If I get a SACD/dvd player, I would use the 6 rca inputs for audio (for a sacd recording) plus a digital cable for DD5.1/DTS. That is a lot of cables. And then this one player, would essentially have two inputs, one for sacd, (music only input) and one inout for dvd and audio. Right?

shokhead
03-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Why do you need to run the Video from the box through your reciever? I run the dig through the reciever and the video and audio L&R into the TV.

IRG
03-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Why do you need to run the Video from the box through your reciever? I run the dig through the reciever and the video and audio L&R into the TV.

I only have 1 S video input on my TV, and 1 component on my TV. I have now, 3 sources that could all use s video, (Cable box, dvd player, and Gamecube) so if they go into the receiver first, then I run 1 s video cable from the output of the receiver to the TV. No other way to do it unless I had 3 s video inputs on my TV which don't. If my cable box had component cables, then I would go that route, and run the cable box and dvd player video into the receiver, and the 1 component cable from the output into the TV.

As a follow up to my oroginal question, can I mix up the video cables in switching, and use the s video from my cable box, and Gamecube, into the receiver, with 1 going out to the TV, and use my component cable from the dvd player into the receiver, and then another from the receiver into the TV. The point of this, is to be able to switch just once, on the receiver, for both sound and video, and not have to switch both the TV from one source to another, and also switch sources on the receiver for sound.

LEAFS264
03-17-2005, 10:08 AM
I really confused!!! Your still going to have to change the setting on your t.v no matter what you do. You will always have to set it to video1 or video 2 etc..... It is best to run your component cable right from the Player to T.V. Run your Digital audio cable from the player to receiver. Run your s-video cable from the cable box to receiver than from the receiver to t.v. And the same with the gamecube. So........now you have 1 component cable in the T.V and 1 s-video. And 2 s-video in the receiver.....Thats how you should do it if you only have one of each on the t.v

GOOD LUCK

Jay

paul_pci
03-17-2005, 10:57 AM
As per the Time Warner digital cable, and I posted this for Hershon too, you need to maintain both analog and digital connections and the receiver should automatically accept whichever signal is appropriate for whichever channel you are viewing. This is why I love Direct TV; not only can I use component video cable for a nonHD TV, but I only need one digital audio cable.

IRG
03-17-2005, 11:50 AM
I really confused!!! Your still going to have to change the setting on your t.v no matter what you do. You will always have to set it to video1 or video 2 etc..... It is best to run your component cable right from the Player to T.V. Run your Digital audio cable from the player to receiver. Run your s-video cable from the cable box to receiver than from the receiver to t.v. And the same with the gamecube. So........now you have 1 component cable in the T.V and 1 s-video. And 2 s-video in the receiver.....Thats how you should do it if you only have one of each on the t.v

GOOD LUCK

Jay
Sorry to confuse you Jay! That's how I felt before. I understand your diagram, and originally this is what I would have done. My version has me putting all 3 sources, (cable, dvd and Gamecube) into the NAD receiver using s video in, with 1 s video going out to the TV. I can then switch my sources using the receiver, Video 1, 2, 3. No need to switch the TV input as well.

If I use the component cable and the s video cables as you suggested, then I will have to switch both the receiver and the TV when wanting to watch a dvd. Not major of course.

If my TV was of HD quality, I would then use the component cables, hands down. I will try both methods though, and see if I find any difference. I will post my results when I do. Thanks for the help!

IRG
03-17-2005, 12:06 PM
As per the Time Warner digital cable, and I posted this for Hershon too, you need to maintain both analog and digital connections and the receiver should automatically accept whichever signal is appropriate for whichever channel you are viewing. This is why I love Direct TV; not only can I use component video cable for a nonHD TV, but I only need one digital audio cable.

Paul,
That makes sense, and I will try it. I have done that on my other receiver (an older Onkyo) and had the settings set as you suggested. But I did have trouble getting sources that did not use some form of Dolby. I eventually had to go back into the receiver and deselect the digital option, and just went with analog.

Here is the problem with what you suggested. If a signal is coming from the cable box that is digital, let's say an HBO movie in 5.1, it will process that fine over the digital cable to the receiver. But now let's say I am watching NBC, a non 5.1 station, and since the box doesn't convert, it is sending a signal of white noise over the digital cable (because, and correct me here if I am wrong, it doesn't distinguish between the two) and to the receiver, which plays, just that, white noise. If the rca cables are attached, and I am watching NBC again, it sends a normal signal to the receiver, and it works as it should. Ideally if both cables are attached, rca and a digital cable, you should be able to watch both digital and non digital stations normally because the receiver does the selecting. However I have tried this, and it didn't work as you suggested. With my new receiver, this may be different, and I hope it is.

Not sure if I am making any sense here. The problem is the cable box, and they are missing the converter that can distinguish whether it is an analog signal or a digital signal. I will be experimenting over the weekend to see which works best (or at all). Thanks for your response.

LEAFS264
03-17-2005, 12:15 PM
IRG, it is still better to use 1 set of component cables if possible. If your going to toss one,make it an s-video cable. Component is still the higher quallity cable.

Jay.

shokhead
03-17-2005, 12:50 PM
The dig is going to send a mono, a dig,a stereo signal,whichever iys feed.

Rock789
03-17-2005, 05:49 PM
off topic question IRG. what made you decide to go with the NAD T743?

IRG
03-18-2005, 06:21 AM
off topic question IRG. what made you decide to go with the NAD T743?

Well there were a couple of factors. One, I have always like NAD products and feel they are the closest brand to high end, on a beer budget, if you know what I mean. Sure there is better, there always will be, but NAD in general is much better than the mainstream, which I own as well. Two, I had some older components that I enjoyed (Rokan integrated amp and cd player) but it was time for a change, and these two pieces while still very good, have some limitations - they can't do home theater at all. I have a local dealer that allowed me to trade these components in, and an older pair of JBL speakers, and all I ended up owing was $80. I doubt whether I could have sold these items myself for anymore on ebay, plus it is a hassle. Plus, since I traded in these items, I paid little on tax (8.25% on $80, vs $645.)

I like the NAD too because of its emphasis on music first, still important for me. This little receiver is no lightweight (36 lbs). It has few bells and whistles, just what is needed for music and basic HT. I would never use or want all of the features that a Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo (also own this), Pioneer, etc. offer, because they don't add any value. I do believe that less is more. And unlike some of the budget models I was looking at, the NAD all have preouts to add an external amp. You usually have to buy an upper level model from Onkyo, Yamaha etc. to get this feature. So if I want to add an external power amp later on, I can.

NAD also lists their power very conservatively. Most brands do the opposite and inflate their numbers, and when you drive all channels, some of these brands put out as little as 12 watts/channel. Not NAD. Plus it can drive 4 ohm loads with ease.

I will be hooking this receiver up this weekend - can't wait to get started. I need to reconfigure my room first, and thoroughly read the manual. I also liked the look and feel of NAD's remote - a pleasant surprise. And the whole receiver in general just has a nice quality feel to it. Not flashy, not shiny or silvery or lots of lights, just solid, which is what I was after.

Rock789
03-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the info, I have been bouncing between several different receivers..
Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX
Denon AVR-2805
NAD T743
Integra DTR-5.5

I do like the NAD, but the main purpose for my receiver will be ht, with some music, and if I goto a T753 (for 6 channels), that takes the price up about $300 from the rest of the receivers I have been looking at... perhaps I shall look into the T753 a bit more tonight.
I do believe all 4 of these units listed above do have outputs for external amps.

Thanks again for the info,
Mike

IRG
03-21-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the info, I have been bouncing between several different receivers..
Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX
Denon AVR-2805
NAD T743
Integra DTR-5.5

I do like the NAD, but the main purpose for my receiver will be ht, with some music, and if I goto a T753 (for 6 channels), that takes the price up about $300 from the rest of the receivers I have been looking at... perhaps I shall look into the T753 a bit more tonight.
I do believe all 4 of these units listed above do have outputs for external amps.

Thanks again for the info,
Mike

Hi Mike,
I would check out Saturdayaudio.com and email or call them for prices on the T753. It may not be $300 more than the others. I can't really comment on the receivers. Probably all good. My dealer used to carry the Integra line but had too many failures - something with their power supply regulators were not designed right, and then had too many returned to them. I have an Onkyo receiver too, and it has served me well over the years. I never thought it went that loud though, not that I really needed it to, but in a large room it would have been overmatched.

I think the Denon is OK, but amp wise the NAD has it beat sonically. More bells and whistles though, if that is what your after. I've never been a Pioneer fan, but lately they have been getting some good press from owners.

I set up my NAD this weekend, and I am very please. I haven't done much critical listening yet, but so far, it sounds great, works great, feels good, and is easy to figure out. I even like the remote, and have programmed it to everything my other remotes can do. I even programmed the macros so other people in my house can figure out how to turn on and off the system. I highly recommend it, and I believe the 753 has more options for HT which would be right up your alley.