Best 1/8"-to-RCA interconect for Airport Express? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best 1/8"-to-RCA interconect for Airport Express?

StupidClay
03-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Hi all,

Could someone reccomend the best analog interconnect for an Airport Express? It's going into a NAD C320BEE, which cannot accept digital imput. I'm currently using a basic Radio Shack 1/8-RCA cable, and the bass coming through my B&W's is very muddy indeed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Best,
C

markw
03-17-2005, 04:47 AM
Does it output a line level signal or a earphone level signal?

I doubt the muddiness is caused by the cable. I use these with portable CD players with line level outputs and have no problems at all.

noddin0ff
03-17-2005, 07:44 AM
I would suppect the compression format of the files being played before I would suspect the cable. Do you find muddy sound with lossless encoded files? Does your player (iTunes?) have the equalizer on? etc.

Airport Express is a version of Apple's wireles networking hub that includes audio-out for streaming tunes from a wireless networked computer to your stereo.

StupidClay
03-17-2005, 09:14 AM
The question remains - what is the best analog interconnect I can use w/ the Airport? Do I have better-sounding options beside stock RCA cables?

The files I play are mostly LAME VBR alt-preset-extreme MP3's, so they're (relatively) good sounding. iTunes EQ is off. I shouldn't have mentioned the muddiness, I guess. Perhaps that's just my disappointment with the speakers.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

markw
03-17-2005, 10:18 AM
You can spend a LOT of money for one of these but it ain't gonna improve the performance. Monster makes one that costs more if that's what you want.

ericl
03-17-2005, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't stress about the cable so much. You mentioned the possiblity of the problem being with your speakers, have you compared the sound with a regular cd player to see if thats the problem? Also there's a chance that you just don't like the sound of the Airport. I've read the digital out is far better than the analog out.

I just recently got an airport but have used only the digital out so far, and it is pretty nice. I try not to advocate spending more money, but you may want to consider a cheep DAC to use with the AX. If you do, you should also get the cable kit that is sold on the apple website for $40, as it has a nice little mini-optical to regular size optical cable so that you don't have to use a crappy adapter. It also comes with a six foot power cable and analog cable. The kit is made by an unpopular cable manufacturer that will remain nameless. :rolleyes:

-Eric

StupidClay
03-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you recommend a "cheap" DAC I could use?

Mtbrider
03-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Try posting your question on the Digital-PC Audio Forum over at Audio Asylum.

ericl
03-17-2005, 02:23 PM
Hi Clay,

you can get some inexpensive DACs from MSB, Channel Islands Audio, California Audio Labs, Audio Alchemy (a little outdated), Scott Nixon, Ack!.. there are many. I'd recommend used.

here's the audiogon used DAC list:

http://buy0.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?dgtlconv&1&ctg&st1