Wanted: advice on refurbishing an Ampex 600 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: advice on refurbishing an Ampex 600

stevezzzz
03-16-2005, 02:10 PM
I've inherited an Ampex 600 reel-to-reel in good working condition (once I removed the mouse nest, that is). I've got the original paperwork and manuals. I think I should probably clean and relube the tape transport and takeup mechanisms; what cleaners and lubricants are appropriate for this purpose? The manual calls out a lubricant I doubt is available any more (don't have the manual in front of me, though).

It's been a couple of decades since I owned a reel-to-reel. What else should I do to make sure it continues to run? I've also got a bunch of tape reels; anybody have any experience hooking up one of these things to a PC for capturing the audio output digitally?

Thanks!

pacAir
03-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Wow, that brings back memories! As a matter of fact, I just transferred some recordings I made in 1974 on an Ampex 602 to my computer. They still sounded good too!

I haven't owned an Ampex 600-series since the late '70s, but I had both a 602 (burgundy color) and a 600 (tan colored). I never had the service information, but just used normally available lubricants and cleaners made for this purpose to maintain them.

For lubrication, white lithium grease is commonly available and since these monsters were built with mostly metallic materials (not a lot of space-age plastics) I'd bet they would stand up to varying chemicals and lubricants better than their more modern counterparts!
Also, there are some GREAT rubber rejuvenator chemicals available now that can ressurect all but the most cracked rubber parts and give them a new lease on life.

While you can transfer the line-out signals from the deck into the computer via the Line In connection on your computer's sound card, using an outboard A-D converter that plugs into a USB input (like the M-Audio Duo I use) will result in better quality and quieter transfers. The only addditional things you might need are cables or adapters to get that line out signal to an RCA phono, 1/4" Phone or 3.5mm Stereo minature phone plug connector(s) (depending on your computer audio input device).

Steve

squeegy200
03-16-2005, 04:52 PM
I am in the process of restoring an Akai 1710 myself.

It took a monumental search effort for me to find an affordable head demagnetizer! Fresh tapes will also be a challenge as the only remaining manufacturer I've found was Quantegy. They've stopped operation in their tape production facility late last year. Some distributors still have media on the shelf, but there is no new tape being manufacturered that I am aware of.

From my own deck, I need replacement rubber caps which lock the Reels to the deck. No replacements available anywhere. So I play my deck with it in the horizontal position.

I'm not knowleadgeable with an Oscilliscope so bias adjustements and accurate head alignments are beyond my skill levels.

The AMpex is a nice rig. I've been told the music reproduction is excellent. I heard on one of the other forums that there are enthusiasts who still offer rebuilding services.

Good find and good luck.

Marantzguy
03-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi, Steve:

You should try to find the official Ampex Users Group and trust what these experts may have to offer in the way of advice.

The Ampex 600 is undoubtedly a fine machine and if you can believe it, it was considered a professional "portable" in its day. I seem to recall that the 600 was a tube machine?

If so, you have a gem!

Belts will need to be cleaned or replaced, heads properly cleaned and most importantly, as you mentioned, parts will need to be cleaned and then properly re-lubricated. Some people may instruct or recommend that you also tear down the motor and clean and re-pack the bearings, but be careful if you do this as it can be challenging.

Finding or replacing the pinch roller will be a challenge, too, but again, the folks at the Ampex Users Group will be the ones to assist you in that regard.

I got a kick out of your commentary about removing that mouse nest!

Actually, I had the transport of a 600 in my kitchen years ago and wouldn't you know it?
We had a mouse problem at the time, even with a big male cat around. So, guess where the little devils decided to set up their home? RIGHT! Do you know that I found one inside asleep one day and covered the transport and shoved it right into my freezer for a quick (hopefully painless) end to that problem?

YECCCCCCH!

A true story, though!

Good luck!

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

I've inherited an Ampex 600 reel-to-reel in good working condition (once I removed the mouse nest, that is). I've got the original paperwork and manuals. I think I should probably clean and relube the tape transport and takeup mechanisms; what cleaners and lubricants are appropriate for this purpose? The manual calls out a lubricant I doubt is available any more (don't have the manual in front of me, though).

It's been a couple of decades since I owned a reel-to-reel. What else should I do to make sure it continues to run? I've also got a bunch of tape reels; anybody have any experience hooking up one of these things to a PC for capturing the audio output digitally?

Thanks!

Marantzguy
03-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi, Squeegy:

You might consider purchasing some rubber "corks" meant to fit the open necks of laboratory chemical glassware--the kind with the hole in the center for a glass tube to fit through.

They should be available at any good chemical supply house, even Edmund Scientific, I would imagine.

Just a thought!

Good luck with your machine!

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

I am in the process of restoring an Akai 1710 myself.

It took a monumental search effort for me to find an affordable head demagnetizer! Fresh tapes will also be a challenge as the only remaining manufacturer I've found was Quantegy. They've stopped operation in their tape production facility late last year. Some distributors still have media on the shelf, but there is no new tape being manufacturered that I am aware of.

From my own deck, I need replacement rubber caps which lock the Reels to the deck. No replacements available anywhere. So I play my deck with it in the horizontal position.

I'm not knowleadgeable with an Oscilliscope so bias adjustements and accurate head alignments are beyond my skill levels.

The AMpex is a nice rig. I've been told the music reproduction is excellent. I heard on one of the other forums that there are enthusiasts who still offer rebuilding services.

Good find and good luck.

stevezzzz
03-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Good advice: thanks, everyone. I'll go find an Ampex User Group. And yes, the 600 is a vacuum tube system. Some questions remain, though. Steve wrote that white lithium grease might do the trick; I question that, since there are at least two places where a blind 'oil hole' is provided, into which the grease wouldn't, of its own accord, flow. Any other suggestions?

And does anyone have a name and/or a product number for a 'rubber rejuvenator'? Would this be applied to the pinch roller, and the belts in the drive mechanism?

I said I inherited this deck; there's a little more to the story. I was three years old in 1956 when my mother went into the hospital to deliver my baby sister. In those days fathers were persona non grata in delivery rooms, and women spent a week in the hospital even for a normal delivery. Thus, Dad and I were thrown together with a lot of time on our hands. So what did he do? He took me downtown and bought an Ampex 600 and the matching 602 amp/speaker. I remember the shopping trip well; it's one of my earliest memories. I guess that tells you something about what a gear head I turned out to be, eh?

The first recording Dad made with it was on the day Mom and baby sis came home from the hospital. I have that reel, and many others documenting family get-togethers, mom's chamber music groups, off-the-air news reports of momentous occasions, etc.

Dad kept the Ampex 600 but sold the 602 and all the rest of his tube audio gear some time ago. He died last month, and now it's mine.

squeegy200
03-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Sorry to hear that.

That makes this gear especially important and extremely valuable --

piece-it pete
03-17-2005, 11:33 AM
Steve,

Sorry about your dad.

Anytime I've seen an oil hole in old mechanical assemblies it's been 3-in-1 type oil. But I don't know for sure.

Pete

michael
03-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Nice piece of equipment, stevezzzz. I bought an AMPEX R2R new, back in the late 60s. Regret having to sell it but moved to UK and 50hz or is it 60? Don't understand all that stuff!
Beautiful sound from the lid speakers. I was working with Ampex professional gear (mono) and UHER portables
Have fun restoring

Marantzguy
03-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Hi, again, Steve!

Come to think of it, I have a model 600 just like yours in my garage, along with a 602 or whatever (the solid-state version of their 2-track deck).

I hope you are also aware that folks are purchasing just the electronics section and use them to "sweeten up" signals going into digital these days, so the mic pres seem to have a certain relatively high resale value, per se.

Try using 3-in-1 oil in those lube spots you mentioned and see what happens. As for the electronics, use a good properly-rated Variac to power up the deck and do not lose or replace the power cord, as they are also hard to find as replacements.

The little Model 620 suitcase amp is also something of a sought-after item, all by itself. These units actually contain a special-issue JBL 8" full range speaker and the enclosure is tuned for it. Together with the little 10 watt 6V6 amp, they can sound surprisingly nice if restored.

Anyway, I enjoyed your story about your Dad and am sorry that he passed away recently.

He certainly had good taste in audio equipment to have purcahsed what at the time was certainly one of the finest outfits ever made. Have you seen what those two items originally cost?

A question: What sort of microphone did he use with the 600?

That would be most interesting for me to know about.

I happen to be acquainted with a guy in Palo Alto who has a great collection of old audio gear and antique radios. He has the distinction of owning the VERY FIRST AMPEX 601 to roll off the assembly line. It came from the estate of Jack Mullin, I believe.

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

Good advice: thanks, everyone. I'll go find an Ampex User Group. And yes, the 600 is a vacuum tube system. Some questions remain, though. Steve wrote that white lithium grease might do the trick; I question that, since there are at least two places where a blind 'oil hole' is provided, into which the grease wouldn't, of its own accord, flow. Any other suggestions?

And does anyone have a name and/or a product number for a 'rubber rejuvenator'? Would this be applied to the pinch roller, and the belts in the drive mechanism?

I said I inherited this deck; there's a little more to the story. I was three years old in 1956 when my mother went into the hospital to deliver my baby sister. In those days fathers were persona non grata in delivery rooms, and women spent a week in the hospital even for a normal delivery. Thus, Dad and I were thrown together with a lot of time on our hands. So what did he do? He took me downtown and bought an Ampex 600 and the matching 602 amp/speaker. I remember the shopping trip well; it's one of my earliest memories. I guess that tells you something about what a gear head I turned out to be, eh?

The first recording Dad made with it was on the day Mom and baby sis came home from the hospital. I have that reel, and many others documenting family get-togethers, mom's chamber music groups, off-the-air news reports of momentous occasions, etc.

Dad kept the Ampex 600 but sold the 602 and all the rest of his tube audio gear some time ago. He died last month, and now it's mine.

stevezzzz
03-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Hi, again, Steve!

He certainly had good taste in audio equipment to have purcahsed what at the time was certainly one of the finest outfits ever made. Have you seen what those two items originally cost?

A question: What sort of microphone did he use with the 600?

That would be most interesting for me to know about.

Richard -

Dad didn't like to do things halfway :-)

Everything's in a minivan enroute to me in Colorado from my parents' home in PA right now, so I can't answer your questions precisely. But I do know the microphone is one of those big, silver, 'radiator grill' Electro-Voice mics that appear in so many old photos from the '50s; a 726 or a 731, more than likely.

Remind me in a week and I'll give you more details. BTW, I apparently misspoke when I said Dad bought an Ampex 602 with the 600; I should have said it was the 620 speaker/amp. His was no longer working when he sold it about 8 years ago with the rest of his gear.

Dad bought an Altec-Lansing Voice of the Theater speaker for his home setup, too; he built a cabinet for it and put it in the living room, where it dominated everything for 40 years. When he converted to stereo he kept the VooT as the right channel speaker and added the 620 as the left channel. Surprisingly, the combination didn't sound half bad.

michael
03-18-2005, 10:33 AM
3-in-1 is absolutely right. I had a sonu R2R which was starting to cease up. I started to take it apart then found this little tube to put oil in. In those days 3-in-1 was used for everything. You could of course try singer sewing machine oil too. I think its a bit thinner.