refurbishing/upgrading magnepans [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : refurbishing/upgrading magnepans

MomurdA
03-16-2005, 01:04 PM
How can I tell if my magnepan mg II s need refurbishing? Also, I have seen ppl advertising their upgraded maggies for sale on audiogon with capacitors and such. What performance advantages does this give, how easy is it to do, and how much do those caps/crossovers cost?

Aric M L
03-16-2005, 02:49 PM
I dont have experience with "upgraded" Maggies. But I'd never buy anything tampered with without having heard it myself. "Upgraded" is a relative term as is anything in audio and maybe it's legit, then again maybe the alterations made a speaker you'd find painfully bright, whereas they feel it "brought out the high end". No matter what the case, if you buy a modded speaker on audiogon you're getting a speaker sight-unheard which is IMO just bad practice

MomurdA
03-16-2005, 03:08 PM
I wasnt going to buy them. I already have some untampered ones. Just wanting to know if anybody has done it, what it entails, etc. Thanks for replying.

Geoffcin
03-16-2005, 03:44 PM
I wasnt going to buy them. I already have some untampered ones. Just wanting to know if anybody has done it, what it entails, etc. Thanks for replying.

The III, and the 3.6r. The only reason for refurbising is when a piece of the wiring comes unglued. This is something that is NOT a big deal for a DIY project.

Here's a link to the Planar Forum where you can find a lot of help with your Maggies;

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/MUG/bbs.html