Duds
03-16-2005, 01:00 PM
You can hear the entire new QOTSA album here:

http://www.myspace.com/queensofthestoneage

ForeverAutumn
03-16-2005, 02:37 PM
You can hear the entire new QOTSA album here:

http://www.myspace.com/queensofthestoneage

Groovy! Thanks. I'm listening to it right now.

Duds
03-17-2005, 05:46 AM
What did you think? I thought it was a pretty strong album all the way through, cant wait to get the cd and listen to it at home.

ForeverAutumn
03-17-2005, 05:56 AM
What did you think? I thought it was a pretty strong album all the way through, cant wait to get the cd and listen to it at home.

I got about half way through it and then I had to shut down the computer and move on to other tasks around the house. But what I heard did sound pretty good. Nothing grabbed out at me like a couple of the tracks from Songs For The Deaf did however. I really like that disk. This one sounds solid, but I didn't fall in love at first listen, like I did with parts of SFTD. In fact, I even downloaded No-one Knows as my cell phone ring!

SFTD is also a little sentimental for me as well, as it's the very first CD that I picked up based on recs from this board. :)

Another factor working against last night's listen is crappy computer speakers. I'll pick up the disk when it comes out, but I won't be rushing out for it on Tuesday.

Duds
03-17-2005, 07:55 AM
I was listening to it through headphones plugged into computer speakers so it sounded crappy too. I think the actual disc will let us make a better judgement. I did like what I heard, but like you said, nothing jumped out like SFTD. Do you have anything before SFTD? if not, you should, all good stuff.

Try some Kyuss too!!!!!!

-Jar-
03-17-2005, 11:20 AM
I was listening to it through headphones plugged into computer speakers so it sounded crappy too. I think the actual disc will let us make a better judgement. I did like what I heard, but like you said, nothing jumped out like SFTD. Do you have anything before SFTD? if not, you should, all good stuff.

Try some Kyuss too!!!!!!

Hey Duds.. just wanted to let you know that there's a few other desert rock fans in here. Personally I didn't even buy SFTD yet but I have everything else QOTSA did before that, and I also have all the Kyuss albums. They were quite a band, though I never got to see them live. To be honest I've been a little out of the loop recently with recent albums by Monster Magnet, Fu Manchu, Nebula and a bunch of those other bands, but I have most of their early material.. esp Monster Magnet. I saw them live several times back in the mid-90's, they always put on a great show. I guess I decided 4 Monster Magnet albums were enough. There's a lot of great stuff out there, bands that got their start on Man's Ruin and other small labels. Red Giant, Lowrider, Natas, High on Fire, Goatsnake... there were quite a few. Anyhoo, maybe you know all this stuff already.. either way.. let it burn..

-jar

Duds
03-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Glad to hear there are some other stoner rock fans here. I think we've compared musical tastes before. You should get SFTD and the new one when it comes out, very good stuff. I love Fu, Monster Magnet, Kyuss, Clutch, all that stuff. Just got a new High On Fire disc, pretty damn good. You should get the new Monster Magnet, its a solid rock n roll album straight through.

Got a new Katatonia too, you like them?

-Jar-
03-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Glad to hear there are some other stoner rock fans here. I think we've compared musical tastes before. You should get SFTD and the new one when it comes out, very good stuff. I love Fu, Monster Magnet, Kyuss, Clutch, all that stuff. Just got a new High On Fire disc, pretty damn good. You should get the new Monster Magnet, its a solid rock n roll album straight through.

Got a new Katatonia too, you like them?

I really like Katatonia quite a bit, but the last one I bought was LFDGD. The evolution they made from DISCOURAGED ONES to LAST FAIR DEAL was pretty awesome, I imagine that their newer material is just as great.. I never thought I'd hear a band that reminded me of My Bloody Valentine, the Cure and Black Sabbath at the same time..

-jar

ForeverAutumn
03-17-2005, 06:04 PM

Try some Kyuss too!!!!!!

I picked up R today. I've looked at it before, but it's always been kind of pricey. HMV was having a big 2 for $25 sale and R was part of the sale, so I grabbed it. I haven't listened to it yet though.

I do have a couple of Kyuss disks that I enjoy very much. I have Welcome to Sky Valley and ...And the Circus Leaves Town.

Our local Indie paper had a not very flattering review of the new QOTSA disk today. But their reviews generally suck, so I don't put much stock into them.

Dusty Chalk
03-17-2005, 07:32 PM
Just wanted to echo what Jar was sayin' -- another fuzz rock fan, here, too. And Katatonia.

Duds
03-18-2005, 08:32 AM
R is a great album, i think you'll enjoy it.

Kyuss just rocks. Sky Valley and Blues for the red sun are my favorites. Do yu have nay of the Desert Sessions?

Duds
03-18-2005, 08:35 AM
I'll be honest, this is the first Katatonia album i have listened to. I am pretty sure i have one or two others, just never got around to listening to them. "Black Sessions" really impressed me, i'm definitely going to check out their older stuff now.

Duds
03-18-2005, 08:36 AM
Thats good to hear!!!

You ever listen to Pentagram?

-Jar-
03-18-2005, 10:01 AM
I'll be honest, this is the first Katatonia album i have listened to. I am pretty sure i have one or two others, just never got around to listening to them. "Black Sessions" really impressed me, i'm definitely going to check out their older stuff now.

So you have TONIGHT'S DESCISION? Nice album. If you go back to anything before the previous album, DISCOURAGED ONES, you'll find a somewhat different sounding band, a more death metal sound, with death metal vocals and all. Some people love their older stuff more, but I really haven't heard enough of it to judge. I just know I do like the formula they have for the newer material.

-jar

Duds
03-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Hey Jar, I have to apologize for my own confusion. I just got the "Viva Emptiness" digipak, that is what I listened to and really enjoyed it. "Black Sessions" is a box set that is coming out later this month, I mistakenly typed that in my last post because i was researching their stuff and had the Black Sessions name in my mind. I'm going crazy at such a young age...LOL

Dusty Chalk
03-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Katatonia -- all their albums are different, but went through at least two and a half distinct phases.

Well, they can hardly be called distinct, since I'm not even sure if it's two or three, but...what the L, cut me some slack.

They had an early dark black metal period -- everything up to about Brave Murder Day -- a brief transitional period -- Brave Murder Day to about Discouraged Ones -- and their contemporary sound -- Tonight's Decision to Viva Emptiness. Personally, I like their "ear-candy metal" period (their current one) the best.