Test Pressing LP? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Test Pressing LP?

BRANDONH
03-16-2005, 11:16 AM
I have never owned a test pressing LP and I have one in mind.
Thoughts about test pressings anyone?

markw
03-16-2005, 01:51 PM
If so, these are only a thin coating of vinyl like substance over a metal plate. They can only be played once or twice.

risabet
03-16-2005, 04:58 PM
If so, these are only a thin coating of vinyl like substance over a metal plate. They can only be played once or twice.

I have purchased numerous test pressings from various suppliers, mainly Acoustic Sounds, and they are in fact regular vinyl recordings, however, most come in plain white jackets and the labels are coded. Sonically they are very good to excellent and can usually be gotten for low money. My favorite test is of Ravel's "Works for Orchestra" which is pressed on 180gm vinyl and is a wonderful pressing of a great recording.

BRANDONH
03-17-2005, 09:00 AM
I have purchased numerous test pressings from various suppliers, mainly Acoustic Sounds, and they are in fact regular vinyl recordings, however, most come in plain white jackets and the labels are coded. Sonically they are very good to excellent and can usually be gotten for low money. My favorite test is of Ravel's "Works for Orchestra" which is pressed on 180gm vinyl and is a wonderful pressing of a great recording.

Thanks.
I found it at Records by mail M- It is in a plain cover with the cue sheet just taped to it.
So sonically it is good to excellent? Are they recorded at a higher Db?

risabet
03-17-2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks.
I found it at Records by mail M- It is in a plain cover with the cue sheet just taped to it.
So sonically it is good to excellent? Are they recorded at a higher Db?

Yes, sonically tests are pretty good. No, they are simply the first pressing from the masters. Typically companies use them to make sure the master lacquer is cut at a playable level and to check sonics.