HT: I need to up-grade - what to buy! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT: I need to up-grade - what to buy!

Rude-e
03-15-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm a newbie and have no experience w/ what cables to use.
I am using the cables that came stock w/ my components and I know that those are not the best.
I have:
Sony 51" widescreen projection ( soon upgrading to a 60"Sony LCD projection-in 2 weeks)
Yamaha Reciever 6.1 I forget the (model number, I'm at work)
Sony 5 disk progressive scan DVD player
DirecTV box
JBL S series speakers - center, bookshelfs,surrounds, and a sub.

What should I buy? and what do I connect to what?

What cables should I run from DVD player to Reciever - then Reciever to TV?
DirecTv is connected directly to the TV - I want to have it also work w/ my Reciever.
Should I connect it the same as the DVD player?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Like what cables would be best to use - and where to connect them so that it works the best.

Thanks alot - sorry about the newbie questions - I only want to spend money once on the correct set-up.

markw
03-15-2005, 01:37 PM
I mean, as far as what to hook up to where goes, this is usually pretty well coverd in these. It takes less time for you to read and comprehend these than it does for someone else to spell it all out for you.

But, should you find these somewhat lacking, many answers can be found here.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/index.php

Explore a little. Learn a little. Then, when you have a more specific question or two, feel free to post.

FWIW, the point of diminishing returns is a lot less than the hype would have you believe.

Rude-e
03-15-2005, 03:06 PM
This is exactly what I was looking for...
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/avhardware/DVDplayersetup.php

So I need component Video cables and a digital optical cable for best results, right?

Now, what brand to use.

Thanks

Breezer88888
03-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi Rude,
Well it sounds like you've got the set-up laid out. Component video and Toslink (optical cable) will get you the most pristine picture and multichannel audio. As for the brand, you'll find a very wide variety of opinion on this forum. I didn't know better when I did my HT, so I chose Monster cables and bought most of the interconnects thru eBay. I think I got good value since I never paid the in-store prices. But to be honest, I did not enjoy some of the auction experiences - too much of a hassle.

I do have another question for you. I'm buying a Sony 60 inch rear projection LCD (WF series Grand Wega). Which one are you buying? I was torn with the next model up (XS), but in the end, it boiled down to dollars and sense. I was thinking about DLP for the longest time. Then I decided to trust my eyes. I'd like to know how you decided on the Sony.

Thanks,
Breezer