Tuneful Tuesday [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tuneful Tuesday

DarrenH
03-15-2005, 08:49 AM
I'll start. Some old school prog this past week.

Rush - Caress Of Steel and Grace Under Pressure
Genesis - Foxtrot and Selling England
Strawbs - Bursting At The Seams
ELP - Tarkus
Pink Floyd - Animals and Atom Heart Mother
Yes - The Yes Album and Fragile
Tull - TAAB and Too Old To Rock.....
VdGG - Pawn Hearts :eek:
Gentle Giant - Octopus (this is starting to come around)
King Crimson - Lizard
BJH - Once Again

And a bunch of jazz.

Louis Armstrong - Hot Fives and Sevens (on the JSP label)
Count Basie - America's #1 Band: The Columbia Years. A nice 4 cd box set showcasing his orchestra and smaller combos from the 30's thru the 50's.

Darren

Edit: Forgot to add Wayne Robbins and the Hellsayers - The Lonesome Sea. Really enjoying this one. Ordered me up a copy over the weekend.

Troy
03-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Short stack this week:

Mike Keneally- Nonkertompf- Stream of consciousness instrumental art-jazz. Can't play it very often, but really enjoy it when the mood strikes me. Too weird for you.

ELO- Face the Music- The mention of this band here this week made me pull this out. What a gem. 70s cheese, great production.

Rheostatics- Whale Music- Brilliant acoustic based oddball rock. Hints of Zappa and CSNY.

Yes- Close to the Edge- new remaster- the bonus tracks are worthless trash and tarnishes the listening experience. Sounds clean tho.

Talking Heads- More songs about Buildings and Food- Where have you been hiding all these years!?! "Warning Sign" is the coolest song I ever completely forgot about . . . I think.

Brian Wilson's Smile- Still on the fence about it. Change my mind.

Working in a frenzy on my own stuff too.

newtrix1
03-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Guster - Guster on Ice, Live from Portland Maine
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart
Neil Young - (bootleg from LA Forum 1970)
Ollabelle- s/t
Joy Division - Permanent
Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool
Talking Heads - Little Creatures
Joe Henry - Fuse
Hem - Rabbit Songs

comps:
Davey's Monkey Bones
Jimi Hendrix comp that someone here made

ForeverAutumn
03-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Some new purchases:

Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams - I've nicknamed this one, More Of The Same. It's not a bad disk, it just doesn't provide anything new. Too much guitar slapping IMO. It gets on my nerves. He needs to leave the slapping behind and learn a few good picking techniques to add some variety. The good thing about this disk is that it won't take a lot of talent to be playing these songs around the campfire.

Jann Arden - The Heart Is A Lonely Soldier - this is her most recent disk, released last year. I've only spun it twice. A nice disk, but not her best work.

A few of my favourite broadway soundtracks:
Les Miserable
Ragtime

And some other stuff:
Keane - Hopes and Dreams - I still like this one, but I predict that these guys won't see a successful second album.
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow - Can't wait to see them live!
Rik Emmett - Ten Invitations from the Mistress of Mr. E - beautiful classical guitar pieces.
Rheostatics - Whale Music - What Troy said. :)
Rheostatics - Introducing Happiness - Not as good as Whale Music
Snow Patrol - Final Straw
JET - Get Born
Trail of Dead - World's Apart
Death Cab For Cutie - Transatlanticism

Jim Clark
03-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Uhh, more boots. This time:

Chemical Bros.
Les Savy Fav
The Replacements
Soft Cell
The Clash
The Ramones
The Kills
The Killers
The Damned
The Stranglers
Air
Four Tet
The Furs
Tears For Fears
New Order
Depeche Mode
Idlewild
I Am Kloot
Arcade Fire
Dead Kennedy's
Morrissey
Stan Ridgway (really angling to get a 2004-2 disc show, and I think it's gonna work!)
Cocteau Twins

looking ahead to next week-Legendary Pink Dots, The Cramps, more from the Kills and BRMC.
jc

richmon
03-15-2005, 10:22 AM
From the Library:
Sandy Denny ‘no more sad refrains’, an anthology, 12 gems out of 35 including most of the Fothingray stuff. Heavenly voice.
Richard Shindell ‘Somewhere near Patterson’
Warren Zevon ‘The wind’ – yawn.

New Purchases
Arena ‘Peppers Ghost’- Took a few listens to sink in, good working out music, metalish.
Hawkwind ‘Hall of the mountain grill’ – this potentially will become my fav Hawk disc.
A triggering myth ‘Forgiving Eden’ Jazzy, prog takes a few listens. Like about half of this.
Anathema ‘A fine day to exit’ –a big thanx to all that recommended this, I like it a lot.
---shades of King Black Acid, with the distorted guitar and vocals.

Trade stuff (thanx to Barry L)
Mainhorse – Early keyboard heavy prog, Patrick Moraz’s first band. I love this type of stuff.
Frogg Café ‘Creatures’- like about half of this, will watch out for the new album.
The Nice ‘Forget the title’ I’m a big fan of Emerson’s, but this live two disc set doesn’t have anything for me.

tentoze
03-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Too much to list in the entirety...the high-spots that I recall:

Damien Jurado, Where Shall You Take Me-came late to this one- excellent.
Silver Jews, Starlite Walker- just listening now- me like so far.
Trashcan Sinatras, Weightlifitng- ditto above.
Wayne Robbins & The Hellsayers, Lonesome Sea- Davey picked a big winner with this one.
Decemberists, Picaresque- yup, still very very good.
Mark Kozelek, Rock N' Roll Singer- Glad I stumbled on to this one........
Howe Gelb, Confluence- not his best work, IMO.
Jade Warrior, Released and Last Autumn's Dream- very happy to have these fall in my lap last week. My vinyl copies are back in FL.

Coup of the week: The unreleased What Comes After The Blues by Magnolia Electric Company- the new studio album by J. Molina and the band.....very fine stuff after only 2 or 3 spinnages. Nothing revolutionary here- a less intense set of songs than the namesake album of 2003. Just damned good music.

-Jar-
03-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Uhh, more boots. This time:

Cocteau Twins

jc

When is the Cocteau Twins boot from? I hear they've gotten back together to play a few shows. That would be so cool if they toured.

BTW, I'm picking Kansas for my office pool. Wish me luck. This is the first time I've ever played.

-jar

MindGoneHaywire
03-15-2005, 11:25 AM
What Replacements boot?

Listening to American Idiot right now. Outside of a couple of things new to me, mostly the same from the past few weeks--Madeleine Peyroux, Brazilian Girls, Ray LaMontagne, Miles-Seven Steps, Nick Cave, etc. etc.

Spun the And They Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead. Not bad, but kinda pretentious, I thought. But worthy of another listen. Went back & listened to the Gabin album. I wish more electronica was like this. And then I put on the 2-CD STYX compilation of their first four albums! Wow! Can't remember the last time I actually put on a Styx record. Early 80s? Anyway, I made it to about halfway through the second album. For what it is--commercial rock music with arty & prog conceits--I've heard worse, tune-wise. But what really made this unlistenable after awhile was the horrible lead guitar. I know the thing about Styx was that there was always this hard rock Young/Shaw vs. DeYoung tension, at least after Shaw joined. I have no use for DeYoung's work. But I do think he was a lot better at what he did than these other guitar hacks who mocked him for not being as 'hard rock' as they were, were at what they did. I'll be glad when this one's out of the house.

And I don't know why, but I tried to listen to a Michael Buble album. Mistake. I don't know why I thought it might actually be listenable, but...not being Josh Groban isn't enough. Half-baked arrangements, cheesy production...Jamie Cullum was way easier to stomach. Oh, well, it's not like I expected anything. But what does it mean when you're a second-rate Harry Connick?

MomurdA
03-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Metamatics- Neo Ouija
Medeski Martin Wood- End of the World Party
Air-Moon Safari
Kraftwerk-Computer World (very old)
Boards of Canada-Music has the Right ot Children
Autechre-Amber
Many others as well.

Jim Clark
03-15-2005, 12:39 PM
This is the info on the Replacements gig:

THE REPLACEMENTS
JULY 01, 1985
"SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE"
7th St Entry, Minneapolis, MN, USA

Source: FM(?) Broadcast> ? >?
Conversion: CD-R> EAC (Ver. 0.95 prebeta 5)>WAV >FLAC Frontend (Ver. 1.7.1 Etree Edition)> FLAC Level 8
SOUND QUALITY: This is a professionally-recorded live show taken from a radio broadcast. It is in stereo, and the sound quality rates about a 7 out of 10.
Converted by: Jojo Batin

ARTWORKS INCLUDED
DO NOT CONVERT THIS TO MP3

1. Hear You Been to College
2. Bastards of Young
3. Gary's Got a Boner
4. Color Me Impressed
5. I'll Buy
6. Tommy Gets His Tonsils Out
7. Unsatisfied
8. Punk Poop (aka 1977)
9. Jean Genie
10. Can't Hardly Wait
11. Dose of Thunder
12. The Man who Invented Himself
13. I Wanna Destroy You
14. I Will Dare
15. Little Mascara
16. Left of the Dial
17. Take me Down to the Hospital
18. Takin' A Ride
19. I'm in Trouble
20. Rattlesnake
21. Hitchin' A Ride
22. Customer
23. Kids Don't Follow

This is the Cocteau Twins two shows that I've been listening to:

Cocteau Twins - Lovers are Mortal
Live at the Newcastle City Hall
April 29th, 1983

The source of all tracks is:

Original vinyl --> SoundForge --> CDR --> FLAC

The tracklist is as follows:

1. Hearsay please
2. Garlands
3. Alas dies laughing
4. Dear heart
5. Feathers oar blades
6. Hazel
7. Shallow then halo
8. Blind dumb deaf
9. Peppermint tree
10. Wax and wane
11. All but an ark lark
BONUS TRACKS (from "Unrealised dreams"):
12. In our angelhood (version)
13. Ivo (version)

and

COCTEAU TWINS

royal oak theatre, Detroit, Michigan - 11.24.1990

soundboard

01- blue bell knoll
02- from the flagstones
03- my love paramour
04- cico buff
05- pitch the baby
06- crushed
07- iceblink luck
08- orange appled
09- wolf in the breast
10- mizake the mizan
11- aikea-guinea
12- cherry_coloured funk
13- road, river & rail (skip 2'49)
14- a kissed out red floatboat
15- pink orange red
16- whales tails
17- heaven or las vegas

These boots are made for listen'

jc

Ex Lion Tamer
03-15-2005, 12:54 PM
New (to me stuff)...

A 6-song Doves "unplugged' concert I downloaded, made up mostly of songs from their new album "Some Citie" which don't have but it does have a nice version of "Cedar Room", and it has pretty good sound too.

Wheat - Per Second... I've been meaning to pick this up since hearing a song on a (Davey?) comp a couple of years back. The song from the comp is by far, the best of the album, which makes for a dissapointing first impression.

Sun Kil Moon - Ghost of the Lost Highway
Sufjan Stevens - Greetings from Michigan, The Great Lake State
Pinback - Summer in Abondon
Eels - Electro-Shock Blues

and older (to me) stuff...
Fountains of Wayne
Bob Marley - Catch A Fire
The Clash - Black Market Clash
Arcade Fire - Funeral
John Cale - Fear
Peter Gabriel - Plays Live
Yo La Tengo - Eletr-O-Pura
Jason & the Scorchers - Fervor
Beachwood Sparks - Once We Were Trees
Jeff Buckley - Grace

Snowbunny
03-15-2005, 12:57 PM
This weeks' list:

Star 69 - Damn the Unknown Number
Lana - Live boot from the Knitting Factory
Mirah - C'mon Miracle
Tori Amos - Scarlett's Web
CBC radio - lots of classical stuff on Northern Lights
Lots of Latin stuff from my collection of Mexican bootlegs. (Hey, I would have bought the actual CD's if there had of been a record store!)

Got the latest Davey comp and extras in the mail on Friday. Nice job on the Monkey Bones! Only half way through so far and right away I see I'll have to put The Flaming Stars on my wish list, really connnected with them on first listen.

Or maybe I'm just open to any band whose name starts with "The Flaming"...

The Flaming Hellsayers? The Flaming Tindersticks. Yup, works for me. :)

Now a question for Davey, or anyone who can answer this... The CBC uses snippets of indie songs to introduce different segments. For instance, they used one of your fave lyrics "I think I'm turning Japanese", to introduce a segment on Japanese game shows.

One of the game shows televises the contestant's face and you have to guess what he's being hit in the butt with by his facial expressions! Those wacky Japanese...

But I digress... the song snippet that's driving me nuts is the song that starts out as a bunch of electronic beeping (sounds like that old song "Popcorn") and after a minute that great stacatto strumming of the guitar breaks in and the song changes direction. I KNOW IT SO WELL, but I can't place it without the lyrics! What the hell is that song!?!?

All the Wine is a great song! TIA,

Snowie

Jim Clark
03-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Wheat - Per Second... I've been meaning to pick this up since hearing a song on a (Davey?) comp a couple of years back. The song from the comp is by far, the best of the album, which makes for a dissapointing first impression.

One destined to become a staple of my life long listeninghood. Just goes to show...

jc

newtrix1
03-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Stairway to Heaven?

Dusty Chalk
03-15-2005, 09:26 PM
LCD Soundsystem -- digging this entirely, not as minimal as Junior Boys, plus throw in some Eno and Talking Heads influence, add a great big dollop of electroclash, and...there ya go.

Junior Boys -- put this one just to remind myself, and its minimalism is start in its contrast -- listen to, for example, track 4 (whichever one that one is).

Basement Jaxx, Kish Kash -- what can I say? I've been in a "contemporary dance" mood, and these guys could well be the currently crowned kings.

Lhasa, La Llorona and The Living Road -- after having seen her live recently, I've been really digging this. If you can imagine Marianne Faithfull meets Calexico, you're headed in the right direction. Did she do anything else? Highly, highly recommended.

Legendary Pink Dots, Sing While May (aka "Poi poka mozhesh") -- introducing a friend of mine who's into the weirder musics to these guys, decided to give it a listen myself.

Tones On Tail, Everything! -- "...Lions always hit the heights 'cause to kill has always been the easy way out..." Try not getting these songs stuck in your head.

NP A.R.E. Weapons -- a bit more fun version of suicide.

audiobill
03-16-2005, 06:38 AM
Many discs this week are new-to-me listening firsts.

Death Cab for Cutie -- Transatlanticism
On Air -- Library
Pinback -- Summer in Abaddon
Iron & Wine -- The Creek Drank the Cradle
Old Canes -- Early Morning Hymns
Clinic -- Winchester Cathedral
Brighter Than Sunshine -- Britpop Comp
The Earlies -- These Were the Earlies
Hem -- Eveningland
Interpol -- Antics
Kate Rusby -- Underneath Stars
Stone's -- 2004 Comp

My two favourites from the above, currently, are: the Death Cab for Cutie & the Earlies' discs. But, they are truly all good.

Big thanks to my RR friends, JC and Mike for turning me onto some really fine music.

Mike
03-16-2005, 07:07 AM
Mostly comps for me including Davey's Monkey Bone thing and a couple of decent ones from FP Rip You A New One discs 1&2, disc 1 is especially good (am I the only one who likes FP's comps?) Cheers Finchy

Also dragged out Davey's A Decade of Alt Country for a friend who wanted a copy

Also still listening to some new stuff...

Iron and Wine - Woman King
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
Bravery - Bravery
Pitty Sing - Pitty Sing

And some older stuff
Freddie King - Burgular (what a voice)
David & David - Boomtown (anyone remember that, sounds a bit dated now but still ok)
Whiskeytown - Pneumonia

Cheers
Mike

ForeverAutumn
03-16-2005, 07:26 AM
Iron and Wine - Woman King

Iron & Wine -- The Creek Drank the Cradle

Funny, I had never heard of this band until this morning, when I received an email from Amazon.ca about Woman King. Now, I see that Mike and Audiobill are both listening to this band.

I went onto Amazon to listen to a few samples, but I find that the 30 seconds of each song that they have, isn't enough to make a proper decision on.

The email was sent to me "as someone who has previously ordered Chutes Too Narrow, by The Shins...."

Are The Shins a good comparison? It didn't sound like it from the 30 seconds of each song that I heard.

Tell me more!

audiobill
03-16-2005, 07:48 AM
Hey, FA.

I don't think that The Shins analogy is an apt one.
Personally, I don't think this is an album you'd enjoy, since it has a ton of folky twang and melancholy........remember your reaction to Lucinda Williams?? I think your reaction will be the same.

Just be careful with this one.........I absolutely love it, but then again I adore Lucinda.

Cheers,
Bill

[QUOTE=ForeverAutumn

The email was sent to me "as someone who has previously ordered Chutes Too Narrow, by The Shins...."

Are The Shins a good comparison? It didn't sound like it from the 30 seconds of each song that I heard.

Tell me more![/QUOTE]

ForeverAutumn
03-16-2005, 08:03 AM
Thanks Bill. I suspected as much. The 30 second bits that I heard didn't sound very Shins-y.

Speaking of The Shins...I responded to your email this morning...you in? Email me. :)

Mike
03-16-2005, 08:31 AM
[QUOTE=ForeverAutumn]Thanks Bill. I suspected as much. The 30 second bits that I heard didn't sound very Shins-y. QUOTE]

Don't be caught out by Amazon there's no connection with the Shins sound for me.

For Iron and Wine think NickDrake/Elliot Smith i.e solo acoustic artist namely Sam Beam, if you want to try (for me) his most approachable album try Our Endless Numbered Days I think it's his first proper studio album and it's a good un'

Something you might like though is that Pitty Sing album which I got from FP it has a real Keane sound to it (though not as poppy) which you said you like.

Cheers
Mike

Stone
03-16-2005, 12:13 PM
For Iron and Wine think NickDrake/Elliot Smith i.e solo acoustic artist namely Sam Beam, if you want to try (for me) his most approachable album try Our Endless Numbered Days I think it's his first proper studio album and it's a good un'

Man, that guy just keeps putting out great stuff, doesn't he?

I think Mike's right on with the ND/ES comparison. I wouldn't use the Shins as a comparison, either, and other similar artists are Devendra Banhart and Sufjan Stevens.

I also think FA should start with Our Endless Numbered Days, but it's his second album (The Creek Drank the Cradle being the first and my favorite of his releases).

DariusNYC
03-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks Troy for reminding me about Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food. It's generally been my favorite TH album (although Fear of Music and '77 have held the spot for short periods of time) but I hadn't listened to it in a year or two. Spinned the whole thing last night. Favorite song on it at the moment is probably "The Good Thing". I just love how they make a standard four-person rock setup sound so instrumentally fresh on that album. The arrangements are out of this world great. Songwriting and musicianship of course are impeccable as well. Weymouth was such a melodic bass player (but I guess that's a cliche statement by now).

Like DustyChalk, I've been spinning a lot of LCD Soundsystem, and the DFA Compilation #2 generally, which contains LCD tracks and much more. This is definitely my favorite contemporary dance music of the moment. "Beat Connection" is awesome.

John Coltrane -- Quartet Plays and Live at the Village Vanguard Again!
System of a Down - Toxicity
Jay-Z (as always)
Bright Eyes -- I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Yo La Sucko -- Summer Sun

and a random selection of songs from my collection on my new, awesome, iPod shuffle. Fun to hear Metallica sandwiched between 50s Sinatra and Grandaddy, and then have Grandaddy followed by Sun Sessions Elvis and then Kylie Minogue and then Wu-Tang Clan and then, weirdly, another Wu-Tang Clan song and then Loretta Lynn.

Slosh
03-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Now a question for Davey, or anyone who can answer this... The CBC uses snippets of indie songs to introduce different segments. For instance, they used one of your fave lyrics "I think I'm turning Japanese", to introduce a segment on Japanese game shows.

One of the game shows televises the contestant's face and you have to guess what he's being hit in the butt with by his facial expressions! Those wacky Japanese...

But I digress... the song snippet that's driving me nuts is the song that starts out as a bunch of electronic beeping (sounds like that old song "Popcorn") and after a minute that great stacatto strumming of the guitar breaks in and the song changes direction. I KNOW IT SO WELL, but I can't place it without the lyrics! What the hell is that song!?!?

You can just call me anyone ;) I assume the song is called "(I Think I'm) Turning Japanese" :confused: but for some weird reason I know it's by The Vapors. Didn't Google it or nuthin'

BTW, you should be listening to Snowdrift for like every day for a month ;) . . . even though you may sometimes hear uplifting lyrics such as
with a dirty old c<a>unt
in the cab of a truck
in the heart of the woods
hit her if she wakes up
hit her if she cries out
with the butt of your gun
now it's time to have fun
or some othersuch nonsense (sorry)

While I'm in this thread I suppose I ought to mention a couple of things.

Pinback - Blue Screen Life
It's been a while since I've pulled this one out and it really hit me this time around. Utterly fantastic album. Lots of "So You'll Aim Towards The Sky/He's Simple, He's Dumb, He's The Pilot"-type songs, only with jangly guitars. Nice

Autolux - just about perfect and everything I could want in music

Hellsayers - I dig this waaaay more than I expected to (and I expected to like it)

Now it's time to get on with yer badself

Davey
03-17-2005, 03:49 PM
You can just call me anyone ;) I assume the song is called "(I Think I'm) Turning Japanese" :confused: but for some weird reason I know it's by The Vapors. Didn't Google it or nuthin'
The reason she didn't ask you is obvious from your reading comprehension skills ;)

Silly Slosh! I think she was asking about a different song. Of course, if I'm wrong about that I'm setting myself up to have my balls <s>busied</s> busted :confused:

And is it a bad thing to get your balls busied? Sounds kind of fun. Not like busted. That doesn't sound fun. Not at all.

Davey
03-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Got the latest Davey comp and extras in the mail on Friday. Nice job on the Monkey Bones! Only half way through so far and right away I see I'll have to put The Flaming Stars on my wish list, really connnected with them on first listen.

Thanks! Most of my comps go south after the first half so I'll understand if you wanna retract the nice job later ;)

Yeah, those Flaming Hellboys are pretty cool. Wait, which one are we talking about again? One of the guys from the Hellsayers stopped by the board to say thanks for the attention. Cool album. I think I sent a copy to you too, right? Some of my stuff seemed to get messed up before transit so I've no confidence in what I sent anyone. Flaming Stars are a treasure. Definitely score a copy of Sunset & Void. Choice. Lots of words around here from happy campers.

Slosh
03-18-2005, 03:57 AM
The reason she didn't ask you is obvious from your reading comprehension skills ;)

Silly Slosh! I think she was asking about a different song. Of course, if I'm wrong about that I'm setting myself up to have my balls <s>busied</s> busted :confused:

Sorry. I don't speak Canadian :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, please keep your balls far, far away from here. Thank you :p