Will 5.1 surround sound, sound better on TV or DVD? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Will 5.1 surround sound, sound better on TV or DVD?

hershon
03-15-2005, 01:27 AM
I'm asking this question because when Time Warner finally distributes its new HD DVR (Scientific Atlanta 8300) I'll finally be able to get 5.1 surround sound when it is being broadcast. My question is, and there might not be an easy answer or even a right or wrong answer, will a movie broadcast on say HBO/Showrime in 5.1 sound the same, better or worse, than a DVD of the same movie played on an average DVD progressive scan player?

kexodusc
03-15-2005, 04:49 AM
I could be wrong, but I've read somewhere that the broadcast Dolby Digital 5.1 signals are sometimes a more compressed form with a lower bit-rate, which means they would be slightly inferior to the 448 Kb/sec (or whatever it is) Dolby Digital 5.1 signal on most DVD's.

Maybe that isn't the issue though, how many sitcoms, sporting events, newscasts, etc are written and recorded intentionally with 5.1 in mind? Maybe they all are now?

Either way, I think it still represents leaps and bounds over standard stereo broadcasts.

paul_pci
03-15-2005, 12:41 PM
In my experience (DirectTV), movie channel 5.1 is about 90% the quality of DVD 5.1. There is a slight, discernible difference, Therefore, the difference is nothing to get in a bunch over, and it's definitely better than the typical prologic sound.